Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jammed Domino cutter

Hey Domino guys ...

I need to swap cutters and the one currently installed won't budge. Before I start hitting it with WD-40, I wonder if any of you have some better ideas.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 2:28 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Hey Domino guys ...

I need to swap cutters and the one currently installed won't budge. Before I start hitting it with WD-40, I wonder if any of you have some better ideas.

Larry

Maybe take a wooden clamp (hand screw or regular clamp with wooden
blocks) tighten it on the bit and pull it off twist if necessary. Try
twisting it in the direction it spins... thinking it picked up a burr
and its against the turn direction, with it might free it up.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 3:12 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something upside down (the docs, not me).

Damn, I had the acetylene torch out ready to help. Have anything else
that needs to be loosened?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 2:12 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something upside down (the docs, not me).

Nah, you were just looking at it from the wrong side.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was
tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the
direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something
upside down (the docs, not me).

I've been advised to tighten a stuck nut to try to break it free.
Sometimes that reveals the nut turns the other way.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 1:28 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Hey Domino guys ...

I need to swap cutters and the one currently installed won't budge. Before I start hitting it with WD-40, I wonder if any of you have some better ideas.

Larry

Yes, support the turret so that you do not force it to move in the
direction that it normally moves. Festool advised me many years ago to
preferably apply force either up or down. Apparently you can knock the
left and right calibration out of whack if you force in those,
left/right, directions. And support the turret on a bench top with the
bit hanging our over the edge.

Other than that a penetrating lube should work, I do find that the bit
does get tight so anything past a little snug when reinstalled is too much.

I wonder if a bit of Teflon tape or grease might alleviate the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 2:12 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something upside down (the docs, not me).

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 2:04:32 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/1/2014 2:28 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Hey Domino guys ...

I need to swap cutters and the one currently installed won't budge. Before I start hitting it with WD-40, I wonder if any of you have some better ideas.

Larry

Maybe take a wooden clamp (hand screw or regular clamp with wooden

blocks) tighten it on the bit and pull it off twist if necessary. Try

twisting it in the direction it spins... thinking it picked up a burr

and its against the turn direction, with it might free it up.

Remember that a nut/blade/cutter always loosens in the same direction
that it normally spins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Impact wrench or tap a wrench with a hammer.

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was
tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the
direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something
upside down (the docs, not me).

I've been advised to tighten a stuck nut to try to break it free.
Sometimes that reveals the nut turns the other way.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 11:01 AM, Morgans wrote:
Impact wrench or tap a wrench with a hammer.

NO. Way too radical for this particular situation. Likely to do more
harm than good.

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was
tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the
direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something
upside down (the docs, not me).

I've been advised to tighten a stuck nut to try to break it free.
Sometimes that reveals the nut turns the other way.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

---
protection is active.

A wet disk tile cutter for the price of a basic dry cutter? Cursitor Doom UK diy 7 December 3rd 13 05:40 PM
Jammed bath tap Bernard Peek UK diy 11 May 27th 10 05:54 PM
Grizzley Table Saw Jammed Dwight Home Repair 3 January 9th 10 06:18 PM
hammocks and jammed posts chris UK diy 5 October 11th 06 09:51 AM
Jammed Window mo UK diy 3 August 2nd 06 12:53 PM