Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jammed bath tap

The cold tap on the bath has jammed. The plunger that's supposed to ride
up and down is jammed solid and so far has resisted any attempts at
using brute force to move it.

Any ideas?

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
The cold tap on the bath has jammed. The plunger that's supposed to ride
up and down is jammed solid and so far has resisted any attempts at using
brute force to move it.

Any ideas?

--
Bernard Peek

Have you removed the mechanism then?

Does it have a circlip on the spindle - if so remove it and knock the
splined shaft down to push out the plunger.

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 744240 20100526 230647 "John" wrote:

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?
I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the flow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote

in 744240 20100526 230647 "John" wrote:

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of
alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to
turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?
I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the
flow.

I think, to be fair, this is intuitive - for most people, tighter = more
secure.
It's only when you understand the internals of the tap mechanism and the
soft(ish) rubber doing the actual sealing, that you realise the
benefit/necessity of only using sufficient force to stop the flow.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:15:24 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?
I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the flow.

One very good reason would be if the rubber washer is damaged, has a bit of
grit in it, or is starting to split. Then more force is needed to stem the flow.
JPresuming the individual involved doesn't want to repair/replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Bob Martin" wrote

in 744240 20100526 230647 "John" wrote:

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of
alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to
turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?
I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the
flow.

I think, to be fair, this is intuitive - for most people, tighter = more
secure.
It's only when you understand the internals of the tap mechanism and the
soft(ish) rubber doing the actual sealing, that you realise the
benefit/necessity of only using sufficient force to stop the flow.

Phil

Agreed - given a good washer and lubricated mechanism very little pressure
is needed. Overtightnening ruins the washer and wears the thread.

My taps have prominent H & C markings which I have oriented correctly. My
family know that they shouldn't turn past the correct orientation of the
marking. (But I always know when someone else has used a tap!!). I know
someone who will try and tighten the tap every time they go near the sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2010 10:24, John wrote:

I know
someone who will try and tighten the tap every time they go near the sink.

Do rotary dimmer switches suffer the same fate?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...
in 744240 20100526 230647 "John" wrote:

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?
I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the flow.

Same thing with the knurled screws that fasten the D-shells on the back of computers.

I've just noticed that the nut-spinner I have carried in my toolbag for 20 years to
deal with this situation is an a 3/16 imperial.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We've got some taps (a mixer in the kitchen) that seem to come to a hard
stop when you turn them off - dunno how they do that. So you can't turn
them further off.

The "Hard Stop" could signify a ceramic disc tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:26:51 +0100, Graham. wrote:

I've just noticed that the nut-spinner I have carried in my toolbag for
20 years to deal with this situation is an a 3/16 imperial.

Snap!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 744240 20100526 230647 "John" wrote:

I am guessing that a washer has become so compressed that the plunger has
extended too far and then cannot retract as it has rotated out of
alignment
with the hexagonal hole it slides in.

Not related to OP's question but why do some people feel it necessary to
turn off
taps with as much strength as they can muster?

I'm constantly demonstrating how little effort is required to stop the
flow.

I'll bet SWMBO really appreciates being told that :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dewalt Planer jammed javelin Woodworking 6 April 2nd 19 01:44 PM
Jammed garage door MikeB[_3_] Home Repair 28 October 5th 09 11:32 PM
hammocks and jammed posts chris UK diy 5 October 11th 06 09:51 AM
Jammed Window mo UK diy 3 August 2nd 06 12:53 PM
Myford ML7 Backgear jammed ungifted amateur Metalworking 10 January 26th 06 01:27 AM