Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new band saw bearing froze up.

Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was
drifting.

After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the
thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.

The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to
find it completely packed with dust.

Much quicker than the originals.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2014 2:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was
drifting.

After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the
thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.

The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to
find it completely packed with dust.

Much quicker than the originals.

You might give bocabearings.com a look. I have only purchased model
airplane bearings there, but they were way better than the originals. I
see they carry tool bearings as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2014 3:55 PM, Mike wrote:
On 3/21/2014 2:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was
drifting.

After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the
thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.

The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to
find it completely packed with dust.

Much quicker than the originals.

You might give bocabearings.com a look. I have only purchased model
airplane bearings there, but they were way better than the originals. I
see they carry tool bearings as well.

Yep, I used to purchase model engine bearings from them too.
Good idea, I was thinking of buying from Iturra, he's got a bearing with
an O ring, We'll see.

Thanks.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2014 1:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

The bottom one froze, probably why I thought it wasn't cutting and was
drifting.

After sharpening the blade, I went to put it back on and was setting the
thrust bearing on the bottom to find it completely frozen.

The dust boots did little to stop the dust. I just popped the seals to
find it completely packed with dust.

Much quicker than the originals.

Might consider upgrading to ceramic. I "had" a new Rikon with roller
bearings and while thr ides seems to make sense I was totally put off by
the bearings performance. Sealed bearings or not dust is not good for them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:51:06 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

To the rest of the world they are 2 years old. Should they have
lasted? I don't know the environment you saw is in. Humid, covered
with sawdust, they will go to crap in a hurry. If you are in a dry
area and clean the saw well after every use, they probably should have
lasted longer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Damn crap they sell today.
i bought 2 new bearings about 2 years ago.
To me they are still new.

To the rest of the world they are 2 years old. Should they have
lasted? I don't know the environment you saw is in. Humid, covered
with sawdust, they will go to crap in a hurry. If you are in a dry
area and clean the saw well after every use, they probably should have
lasted longer.

Dry and clean.

--
Jeff