Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Froze?

I believe the cause of a freezing refrigerator has been posted
here before but I can't seem to find it or recall the reason.

This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the
refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What
causes this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:08:42 -0400, wrote:

I believe the cause of a freezing refrigerator has been posted
here before but I can't seem to find it or recall the reason.

That discussion was for a fridge compartment that won't keep cold.
The cause was a ice blocked cold air transfer duct (see below). The
solution was to give the fridge a complete overnight thaw to free up
the blockage.

This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the
refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What
causes this?

I have a 30 year old Moffat fridge with the same problem. On hot
days ( 20 deg C) I have to turn the thermostat to max. When the room
temperature is in the low teens (deg C) the fridge compartment
contents freeze solid. Although I can probably do it I am not about
to fool around with parts repairs if I can work around it.

My eventual solution was to place a block of rubber sponge (to
restrict the airflow] in the plastic air deflector housing in the
freezer compartment. In my fridge there is a fan on the back wall of
the freezer compartment. This fan blows the cold air from the freezer
compartment via this snap-on plastic cover into a duct that runs
downwards from the back wall [between the insulated fridge wall
space] into the fridge compartment. On cold days I would remove the
plastic cover and slide the sponge to leave only a small opening for
the cold air transfer duct. This restricts the amount of cold air
blown into the fridge compartment. Freezing problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the
refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What
causes this?

I have a 30 year old Moffat fridge with the same problem.

You guys want a free refrigerator? Yes, free. Just get rid of those 30
year old models and buy a new on and in a couple of years, it will be paid
for with the savings in electricity. I got rid on a small second fridge we
had, bought a new one twice the size, and my electric bill went down by $10.
Don't spend any money on repairs when you can save in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 01:54:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the
refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What
causes this?

I have a 30 year old Moffat fridge with the same problem.

You guys want a free refrigerator? Yes, free. Just get rid of those 30
year old models and buy a new on and in a couple of years, it will be paid
for with the savings in electricity. I got rid on a small second fridge we
had, bought a new one twice the size, and my electric bill went down by $10.
Don't spend any money on repairs when you can save in the long run.

A couple of years? Have you priced refrigerators lately?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A couple of years? Have you priced refrigerators lately?

Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend
$2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free
for about $450.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the
refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What
causes this?

I have a 30 year old Moffat fridge with the same problem.

You guys want a free refrigerator? Yes, free. Just get rid of those 30
year old models and buy a new on and in a couple of years, it will be paid
for with the savings in electricity. I got rid on a small second fridge we
had, bought a new one twice the size, and my electric bill went down by $10.
Don't spend any money on repairs when you can save in the long run.

I'll buy a new one as soon as your check arrives in my mailbox. Let
me know when you send it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:40:59 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

A couple of years? Have you priced refrigerators lately?

Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend
$2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free
for about $450.

I beg to differ. It is very difficult to find one under $1000
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

A couple of years? Have you priced refrigerators lately?

Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend
$2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free
for about $450.

I beg to differ. It is very difficult to find one under $1000

Really? You don't know how to shop. There are many listed for less than
$450 at Best Buy as a start. My local store sold me an 18 cu ft frost free
for $399 (delivered) a couple of years ago. It may be a few bucks more
today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend
$2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free
for about $450.

I beg to differ. It is very difficult to find one under $1000

Really? You don't know how to shop. There are many listed for less than
$450 at Best Buy as a start. My local store sold me an 18 cu ft frost free
for $399 (delivered) a couple of years ago. It may be a few bucks more
today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

Yes, I do know how to shop. You can't use your useless web page to
represent reality. Put your area code into the equation and see what's
really available. Hardly any full size refrigerators under $1000 are
actually available at stores like Best Buy, Lowe's, or Home Depot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:53:15 -0400, wrote:

snip
Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend
$2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free
for about $450.

I beg to differ. It is very difficult to find one under $1000

Really? You don't know how to shop. There are many listed for less than
$450 at Best Buy as a start. My local store sold me an 18 cu ft frost free
for $399 (delivered) a couple of years ago. It may be a few bucks more
today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

Yes, I do know how to shop. You can't use your useless web page to
represent reality. Put your area code into the equation and see what's
really available. Hardly any full size refrigerators under $1000 are
actually available at stores like Best Buy, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Surely you jest!

I'm a landlord and buy refrigerators all the time with prices of
around $399 to $550. As a matter of fact, for my rentals I never pay
more.

These range from 14 to 18 cu.ft models. They may have wire shelfs
instead of glass, no fancy compartments in the doors etc.

However, they have the same moving parts like compressors as do the
$1000 models. I've never had one fail within 5 years, except for one
that was in a fire and the soldered tubing connections let go becasue
of the ehat.

Sources include Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot and several
regional appliance chains near me. Sometimes at places like Sears, you
have to wait for a sale. That happens at least 4 times a year.

As the other poster has said, if you can't find them, you are not
really looking.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 2:53 am, Doug wrote:

Surely you jest!

I'm a landlord and buy refrigerators all the time with prices of
around $399 to $550. As a matter of fact, for my rentals I never pay
more.

These range from 14 to 18 cu.ft models. They may have wire shelfs
instead of glass, no fancy compartments in the doors etc.

However, they have the same moving parts like compressors as do the
$1000 models. I've never had one fail within 5 years, except for one
that was in a fire and the soldered tubing connections let go becasue
of the ehat.

Sources include Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot and several
regional appliance chains near me. Sometimes at places like Sears, you
have to wait for a sale. That happens at least 4 times a year.

As the other poster has said, if you can't find them, you are not
really looking.

Have to agree. Even here in eastern Canada where the transportation in
tends to be higher, one should be able to get a basic good fridge for
around $600 Canadian which = about $500 to %550 US (at recent $ rates
of exchange). Slightly fancier ones for around $799. All the way up to
stainless with water/ice dispensers in the $1500 range and well above.
There is even one with a TV in its door!!!!! For the TV addicted I
guess?

But the basic economics of saving $10 worth of electricity per month
seems suspect? Here it works out to the fridge running about half the
time (12 hours per day for 30 days per month!)

And in this area the 'wasted' electricity contributes to house
electric heating most months of the year anyway, so it isn't really a
$10 saving at all.

From an economics viewpoint: At a typical bank line of credit interest

rate, $10 per month will finance over a ten year period somewhat less
than a $1000 purchase?

Ecologically and from point of view of deferring capital expenditures
for additional electrical generation and distribution capacity, if
there really was a saving per month it could perhaps be justified.
Especially if it reduces that damn acid rain problem. Partly caused by
burning coal in major centres of the North American continent to
generate electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:49:30 -0700, terry
wrote:

And in this area the 'wasted' electricity contributes to house
electric heating most months of the year anyway, so it isn't really a
$10 saving at all.

This is a good reason why I prefer to stick to incandescent lamps over
the politically correct fluorescents. I find the fluorescents hard on
my eyes when I am reading or looking at fine detail. I don't turn on
enough lights in the house anyway to realise any savings between
having a 100W reading lamp on and a set of ceiling mounted 4 x 40W
fluorescents.

Swimming pool leaked, then froze... [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 26th 07 06:52 PM
Assistance pls - Delta Chopsaw - Blade Froze - John Woodworking 4 September 11th 06 01:25 PM
Refrigerator Roger Home Repair 5 February 25th 06 12:46 PM
Insink erator froze up! Norm Home Repair 10 January 20th 06 12:09 AM
Damm - water at the cottage froze, and now... jtaylor Metalworking 15 January 5th 05 02:31 PM