jtaylor

Default Damm - water at the cottage froze, and now...

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"jtaylor" wrote:

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

If you can get a housing for less than a whole new pump costs, get the
housing, if the guts are OK. Otherwise get a pump. These castings tend
to be a major pain to try and weld, but you can see if you can find
somone to try that, depending where it's cracked.

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

We discussed a method (years ago), I forget which list/newsgroup that
was on, for doing this without the heating cable, but it ended up
requiring a fairly complex pneumatic system if it was to be automagic.
Clear the lines with air (below ice level, as that was a "sucking water
from the lake on a granite island" setup), then get the pump primed,
bring water up into storage, and blow the lines clear again. If you're
there to operate it and only need to operate it when the power goes out,
or when you plan to leave the cottage for a while, it's less
complicated. Might be possible to do a simple "power-out" system by
using a tank of air and a solenoid valve - repriming the pump when the
power comes back on to be done by a person simplifies that one to
"arrange a tank of air so that it will blow the pump and lines clear
down to the inlet, and put a valve on it with is held closed by power",
along with having a pump controller which does not try to start when the
pump is dry, or a relay to keep the pump from self-starting after a
power outage.

If the pipes don't matter (plastic that takes freezing fine, enough
heat-tape to get them all unfrozen without a fuzz when power returns)
you might be able to set the pump up to just drain itself when power
goes out with a couple of solenoid valves and no need for an air tank.

The other thing would be to change to a "down the well" submersible pump
even though you don't need one due to well (lake?) depth - the if the
well (lake) doesn't freeze where the pump is, the pump won't freeze.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:17:34 -0400, "jtaylor"
wrote:

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

Find out if it's still in production or price out the parts and
delivery time before you decide. If you're in a big hurry buy the
same model complete pump now, then later (at your leisure waiting for
UPS) you can track down the parts and fix your old one as a spare.

Then tell the neighbors you have a rebuilt spare available for sale
to the next one that has pump problems. At the least you can cover
the parts and labor costs for the rebuild.

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

Small Propane direct-vent heater on the pump house, and then
insulate the heck out of said pumphouse. Set the thermostat low, like
45 - 50 degrees F and power failure won't be a problem - but snow
drifts blocking the flue and choking off the pilot light could be...

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Ken Sterling

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

Possibly drain the system (including the pump housing) before
leaving... fire it back up when you return for a few days.
Ken.

Nick Hull

In article ,
"jtaylor" wrote:

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

If you are home when the power goes out, a properly placed candle or
kerosine lantern can do wonders. If you are away you should drain the
pipe/pump.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Tom Gardner

I repaired a cracked pump housing with "Marine-Tex" epoxy with the hope that
it would last until the new one could be installed. Well, 10 years later,
I'm still waiting for it to fail. Good stuff!!!

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...rod%20info.htm

"jtaylor" wrote in message
the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end
of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

Gunner

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:44:27 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I repaired a cracked pump housing with "Marine-Tex" epoxy with the hope that
it would last until the new one could be installed. Well, 10 years later,
I'm still waiting for it to fail. Good stuff!!!

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...rod%20info.htm

Just dont get it on anything you dont want it to be on for the rest of
eternity...its VERY Good stuff, but seems to get on everything in the
area. G

Gunner

"jtaylor" wrote in message
the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end
of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Jon Danniken

"jtaylor" wrote:
the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

It could have been worse:
http://kalyke.affordablehost.com/~jo...rozenPipes.jpg

Jon
Ken Davey

Jon Danniken wrote:
"jtaylor" wrote:
the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos
are in the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

It could have been worse:
http://kalyke.affordablehost.com/~jo...rozenPipes.jpg

Jon

My water pump at home (a piston pump, but the principal remains the same)
discharges into the bottom of an old but servicable hot water tank. The
house takes its water from a side fitting on the tank about a foot off the
bottom. The tank acts as a pressure reservoir. The pump (by the simple
inclusion of a tiny leak to atmosphere on the intake side) always pumps a
small amount of air into the tank on each cycle. Some pumps have this as a
design feature.
This arrangements means there is always a large amount of compressed air in
the tank. Any threat of freezing is simply taken care of by first turning
off the pump and then running the various lines until air comes out. Final
trick (if using a centrifical pump) bypass the check valve in the intake
line and allow air to blow the pump clear.
With a little thought this system could be used clear a part of any water
system at risk.
And if you have an air compressor handy...............

Hope this helps 'someone'.
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:17:34 -0400, "jtaylor"
calmly ranted:

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

Bummer. Did you see the frozen Porsche last year? Someone's pipes
over their garage busted and turned the new Kah into a very, very
large icecube.

Should I just get a housing (if I can) or put a whole new pump on the end of
the still perfectly good motor?

We have a heater cable around the inlet pipe - the power went out.

Is there any kind of gadget that would protect us from this problem if the
power goes out again?

Some backup batteries/generator, insulated pump house, some 12v lights
or pipe heaters, and a radio pager to notify your alarm at the winter
house when the power goes out so someone can get there before the
freeze gets you again.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Martin H. Eastburn

Jon Danniken wrote:

"jtaylor" wrote:

the jet pump housing has a BIG crack in it. New pump/motor combos are in
the neighbourhood of $400 up here in the GWN.

It could have been worse:
http://kalyke.affordablehost.com/~jo...rozenPipes.jpg

Jon

The de-humidifier failed did it ?!!
That beats the time it rained inside the large IBM facility in Austin.
Dew point and all of that with fresh air drawn in at night time when
it is cool (but laden with water this time) (a system fault).

Thanks,
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
jim rozen

In article , Martin H. Eastburn
says...

That beats the time it rained inside the large IBM facility in Austin.
Dew point and all of that with fresh air drawn in at night time when
it is cool (but laden with water this time) (a system fault).

Or the time it rained inside our brand-new laser lab.

They installed 1/4 the re-heat that was required. But they
made up for it by installing ten times the humidifier capacity!

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:41:13 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Stop mixing it with your fingers Gunner, use a stick! ...and if you do use
your fingers, hope your nose or butt doesn't itch.

Just dont get it on anything you dont want it to be on for the rest of
eternity...its VERY Good stuff, but seems to get on everything in the
area. G

Gunner

I think there is some physical law about that. The Law of Unintended
Overspray, or the magnetic attraction that adhesives exhibit towards
items that were not on the intention list.

Gardners Law of Adhesives? Where no matter how carefully you apply
adhesives, drops and dollops will migrate to other surfaces in an
effort to include the rest of the environment in the gesalt. The more
difficult to remove, the stronger the urge to migrate.

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Gunner

wrote:

Stop mixing it with your fingers Gunner, use a stick! ...and if you do use
your fingers, hope your nose or butt doesn't itch.

Just dont get it on anything you dont want it to be on for the rest of
eternity...its VERY Good stuff, but seems to get on everything in the
area. G

Gunner

I think there is some physical law about that. The Law of Unintended
Overspray, or the magnetic attraction that adhesives exhibit towards
items that were not on the intention list.

Gardners Law of Adhesives? Where no matter how carefully you apply
adhesives, drops and dollops will migrate to other surfaces in an
effort to include the rest of the environment in the gesalt. The more
difficult to remove, the stronger the urge to migrate.

Once you have epoxy on your gloves,
you WILL have an itch on your nose,
your eyes WILL need to be rubbed,
and you WILL begin to sweat
and need to wipe your brow"
-- Devlin's Law

Or perhaps something here?
http://www.cpuidle.de/edition.htm

[...]

Larry Jaques

wrote:

Stop mixing it with your fingers Gunner, use a stick! ...and if you do use
your fingers, hope your nose or butt doesn't itch.

Just dont get it on anything you dont want it to be on for the rest of
eternity...its VERY Good stuff, but seems to get on everything in the
area. G

Gunner

I think there is some physical law about that. The Law of Unintended
Overspray, or the magnetic attraction that adhesives exhibit towards
items that were not on the intention list.

Gardners Law of Adhesives? Where no matter how carefully you apply
adhesives, drops and dollops will migrate to other surfaces in an
effort to include the rest of the environment in the gesalt. The more
difficult to remove, the stronger the urge to migrate.

Zhou dropped a "t" in "gestalt" there, sir. I believe that's a direct
corollary to Shrub's Law:

Never misunderestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development