Posted to rec.woodworking

Default scroll saw question

have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
eb.com...
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for
some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and
not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

Hells yeah! That might be a neener, at that price.

Seems to have a sturdy table, a substantial blade clamp and easy tightening
mechanism. The blade clamp is always the most suspect part, to me, second
the tightening device.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2014 7:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

That is the cadilac of scroll saws. The price is reasonable.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2014 6:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

RUN! Do not walk and buy that saw NOW!

It is, as others have said, the Cadillac - make that Rolls Royce - of
scroll saws.

The owner has it way underpriced - both as new and for a used one.

It appears to be the 22-V Value pack which includes the saw, stand, and
pedal switch. Current retail is $1,699

https://www.advmachinery.com/p-5-multimax-22-v-22-variable-speed-scroll-saw.aspx

Its purchase at the asking price would certainly qualify you for a
resounding "You Suck!" from anyone who knows a thing about scroll saws.

I scored - off Craigslist, also - a similar deal a couple of years ago.
I got the Polymax 8spd Industrial model (top of the Hegner line) with
stand for about HALF of that asking price. Mine was missing a couple of
blade holders (they now accept both pinned and unpinned blades) and
added the quick tensioner retrofit, etc. By the time all was said and
done, I had the new, improved, upgraded Polymax which now costs $2,950.

Advanced Machinery of New Castle, Delaware (their website above) is the
sole source for machines and parts in the US. Seems to be a smallish
outfit with great customer service. The lady I spoke with knew the saws
up, down and sideways and had me good to go in a single order with quick
shipment.

Look around the site and you can download the manuals for all their saws
to get a preview.

Don't hesitate though. That saw will not last long at that price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2014 6:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html

Okay, Buckwheat...

The poster has deleted that saw from Craigslist. You're quiet so
hopefully you scored that saw and are busily checking it out... or
nursing a pulled groin or back muscle from shlepping it around.

Did we forget to tell you that the reason it's like a sewing machine is
that it weight a freakin' tong

Posted to rec.woodworking

yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.
buckwheat

OohRah! You just earned a big "You SUCK!"
Unquestionably Confused

xTWO!

Scroll Saw T McCoskery Woodworking 7 December 3rd 06 06:03 PM
spiral scroll saw blade question Kate Woodworking 4 October 23rd 06 03:06 AM
Question about scroll saw blades breaking mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 6 April 2nd 06 04:29 PM
Scroll saw blade question G.Moa Woodworking 2 May 14th 05 12:55 AM
Scroll Chuck Question (newby sticking foot in) George Woodturning 4 July 3rd 03 11:23 AM