DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   scroll saw question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/369023-scroll-saw-question.html)

[email protected] March 20th 14 11:03 PM

scroll saw question

have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

Morgans March 20th 14 11:18 PM

scroll saw question

wrote in message
eb.com...
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for
some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and
not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

Hells yeah! That might be a neener, at that price.

Seems to have a sturdy table, a substantial blade clamp and easy tightening
mechanism. The blade clamp is always the most suspect part, to me, second
the tightening device.
--
Jim in NC

---

woodchucker[_3_] March 21st 14 02:39 AM

scroll saw question

On 3/20/2014 7:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

That is the cadilac of scroll saws. The price is reasonable.

--
Jeff

Unquestionably Confused March 21st 14 08:25 AM

scroll saw question

On 3/20/2014 6:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html
this guy had this saw posted for a month or so for 650.00 and has now
reduced his asking price... he says he has owned the saw for 8 years and not
used a whole lot...he also says the saw has no issues and works good and
that he is second owner......Is this saw worth 400.00? what should I look
for? any advise appreciated.

RUN! Do not walk and buy that saw NOW!

It is, as others have said, the Cadillac - make that Rolls Royce - of
scroll saws.

The owner has it way underpriced - both as new and for a used one.

It appears to be the 22-V Value pack which includes the saw, stand, and
pedal switch. Current retail is $1,699

https://www.advmachinery.com/p-5-multimax-22-v-22-variable-speed-scroll-saw.aspx

Its purchase at the asking price would certainly qualify you for a
resounding "You Suck!" from anyone who knows a thing about scroll saws.

I scored - off Craigslist, also - a similar deal a couple of years ago.
I got the Polymax 8spd Industrial model (top of the Hegner line) with
stand for about HALF of that asking price. Mine was missing a couple of
blade holders (they now accept both pinned and unpinned blades) and
added the quick tensioner retrofit, etc. By the time all was said and
done, I had the new, improved, upgraded Polymax which now costs $2,950.

Advanced Machinery of New Castle, Delaware (their website above) is the
sole source for machines and parts in the US. Seems to be a smallish
outfit with great customer service. The lady I spoke with knew the saws
up, down and sideways and had me good to go in a single order with quick
shipment.

Look around the site and you can download the manuals for all their saws
to get a preview.

Don't hesitate though. That saw will not last long at that price.

Unquestionably Confused March 21st 14 08:36 AM

scroll saw question

On 3/20/2014 6:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much

Don't hesitate though. That saw will not last long at that price.

If you do lose out on the Hegner, keep your eyes open for one from RBI,
e.g RBI Hawk. That's another quality saw. I think most will agree,
however, that Hegner is the top dog.

Good luck!

Unquestionably Confused March 22nd 14 02:28 AM

scroll saw question

On 3/20/2014 6:03 PM, wrote:
have been looking for a decent used scroll saw for a couple of months and
not had much luck.....craigslist has lots of craftsman saws but not much
else..
I have never owned or used a scroll saw, but would like to get one for some
projects. I am going to look at this saw tomorrow....
http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4340780607.html

Okay, Buckwheat...

The poster has deleted that saw from Craigslist. You're quiet so
hopefully you scored that saw and are busily checking it out... or
nursing a pulled groin or back muscle from shlepping it around.

Did we forget to tell you that the reason it's like a sewing machine is
that it weight a freakin' tong

[email protected] March 22nd 14 08:09 PM

scroll saw question

yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.

woodchucker[_3_] March 22nd 14 08:50 PM

scroll saw question

On 3/22/2014 4:09 PM, wrote:
yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.

YOU SUCK!!! :-)

--
Jeff

Unquestionably Confused March 22nd 14 08:51 PM

scroll saw question

On 3/22/2014 3:09 PM, wrote:
yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.

OohRah! You just earned a big "You SUCK!"

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be happy with that saw.

Unquestionably Confused March 22nd 14 09:22 PM

scroll saw question

On 3/22/2014 3:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/22/2014 4:09 PM, wrote:
yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of
what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.

YOU SUCK!!! :-)

Fer sure, he does. IIRC, the previous owner also had a lamp
(magnifying?) mounted.

Very sweet deal.

Casper March 23rd 14 02:03 PM

scroll saw question

yes i did get the saw......seller threw in several books and a box of what
looks to me like a lifetime supply of blades. Thanks for the help.
buckwheat

OohRah! You just earned a big "You SUCK!"
Unquestionably Confused

xTWO!