Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Question about scroll saw blades breaking

I posted this on a scrolling/intarsia forum, but I'm hoping that I can
get some experienced responses here.

I've been scrolling now for all of ten days, so it goes without saying
that I don't have much experience. In time, that will change.

However, I do have a question about blades breaking. So far (knock on
scrolled wood!), I haven't had a blade break. Now, this will change one
day and I will experience what every scroller does ... dealing with a
broken blade.

My question ... WHAT happens when the blade breaks? Does the scroll saw
stop? Does the bobbing up and down fling the blade about? Should I have
lots of bandaids next to my scroll saw?

I'd like to know what happens so that - when it does happen - I'll be
prepared, as least mentally.

Thanks!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message . ..
I posted this on a scrolling/intarsia forum, but I'm hoping that I can get
some experienced responses here.

I've been scrolling now for all of ten days, so it goes without saying
that I don't have much experience. In time, that will change.

However, I do have a question about blades breaking. So far (knock on
scrolled wood!), I haven't had a blade break. Now, this will change one
day and I will experience what every scroller does ... dealing with a
broken blade.

My question ... WHAT happens when the blade breaks? Does the scroll saw
stop? Does the bobbing up and down fling the blade about? Should I have
lots of bandaids next to my scroll saw?

I'd like to know what happens so that - when it does happen - I'll be
prepared, as least mentally.

I have only a few experiences, long ago, of scroll saw blade breakage.
Nothing much happened to me. Usually the saw blade stayed in the cut that
was being made.

You keep your fingers away from the blade. The saw stroke on a scroll saw
is fairly short. Under certain circumstances, your wood may be affected a
little. But even that would be rare.

It is an immediate, intuitive response to shut off the saw when a breakage
occurs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sweet Sawdust

You are setting there happily sawing wood and all of a sudden the world
comes to an end! your blade has broken the saw starts making an awful racket
like it is coming apart, your heart stops for a moment. Then you figure out
that it is a broken blade, you turn off the saw and change the blade and go
back to work in bliss until it happens again.
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Sweet Sawdust wrote:
[...]

Jeez, sounds like the "buzzer" selection on a clock radio alarm.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

I better get myself a foot pedal so that I can stop the saw faster. I
would be just my luck to really be getting into it, concentrating ...
concentrating .. concentr ----ARGH!

Oh man, I do NOT look forward to my first blade break. Gee, I wonder if
they have a coffee flavor for that moment?

Jack

Sweet Sawdust wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

[...]

G'day Jack,
No matter how many I break I always jump when the *******s let go.
And they break when you least expect it. You can have a blade last for
hours and the next one can go within the 1st minute.
Just have fun, when one breaks, replace it and carry on having fun.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I better get myself a foot pedal so that I can stop the saw faster. I
would be just my luck to really be getting into it, concentrating ...
concentrating .. concentr ----ARGH!

Oh man, I do NOT look forward to my first blade break. Gee, I wonder if
they have a coffee flavor for that moment?

Jack

Buy a band saw, Jack. Use it until you've broken a few blades. Then
you can go back to your scroll saw, without fear.

John Martin