Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bendable plywood

I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming at an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online: http://www.kerfkore.com/ and there is a distributor close enough to warrant a visit.

I suppose I could kerf-cut my own, but ...

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming
at an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The
top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with
bendable plywood? I've found these folks online:
http://www.kerfkore.com/ and there is a distributor close enough to
warrant a visit.
Here in SoCal, you can get "Bending Ply" at most any of the
real lumber yards,

Typically 1/4" with all the grains oriented in the same direction
so it can be bent.

The stuff I saw used was Poplar but assume other veneers are
available.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2014 10:15 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming at an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online: http://www.kerfkore.com/ and there is a distributor close enough to warrant a visit.

Like Lew said, "bendable plywood" is available at most suppliers around
here, although it's not very pretty for a finished product unless you're
painting.

You must also use some type of method/structure to "set" the shape,
otherwise the flexibility remains in the end product.

I suppose I could kerf-cut my own, but ...

Why not? You have a table saw, it is very easy to do, albeit a bit time
consuming in its repetitive nature.

Besides, "kerfing" it yourself is the only way I know to be able to use
the exact plywood desired for the project.

Quite a bit of "kerfing for shape" in 3/4" plywood was done on this
project a couple of years back:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:15:27 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming at an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online: http://www.kerfkore.com/ and there is a distributor close enough to warrant a visit.

I suppose I could kerf-cut my own, but ...

Larry

Kerfing sucks. Bendable ply is used all the time in cabinet shops. You need to build a frame for it to sit on because it is like a wet noodle. You can get ply that bends in the 4' direction or the 8' direction. I prefer the 8' direction because it is fun seeing guys try to carry it.

http://packardforestproducts.com/pro....gJX6L8eR.dpbs

making small copper pipe more bendable Adam Funk[_3_] UK diy 26 November 16th 12 05:48 PM
Bendable Soft Aluminum Rod [email protected] Metalworking 9 January 19th 09 07:19 PM
Aluminum - Strong, weldable, bendable - rod Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 August 9th 08 05:11 PM
bendable wood mm47 Woodworking 11 May 27th 07 02:56 AM
Chromium plated copper tube - bendable? Tony Bryer UK diy 7 May 9th 05 10:49 PM