Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bendable Soft Aluminum Rod

I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod solution
than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength so fast?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod solution
than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength so fast?

brass or half-hard copper might do what you want.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 17, 10:56*am, wrote:
I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks.

Have you considered a gooseneck (metal spiral tube)
like used in lamps?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Jan 17, 10:56 am, wrote:
I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks.

Have you considered a gooseneck (metal spiral tube)
like used in lamps?

Or:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2131023

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch
thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod

over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod

solution
than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength

so fast?

1/16 5356 tig rod should be good. It is work hardening.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 17, 11:56*am, wrote:
I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod solution
than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength so fast?

Any solid metal rod is going to eventually work-harden and break if
bent back and forth, some types faster than others. I'd suggest
either the wrapped helical goosenecks or various solid hinged rod
solutions, with or without counterweights. Look at desk lamps if you
need inspiration. I assume you're moving your "object" into a
particular position as needed.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 17, 11:56 am, wrote:
I'm using an 8 inch long and 1/6 inch thick soft aluminum rod to hold
up a 10 ounce object. When I bend this soft aluminum rod over time it
becomes weak and eventually breaks. Is there a better rod solution
than soft aluminum that bends without losing its strength so fast?

Any solid metal rod is going to eventually work-harden and break if
bent back and forth, some types faster than others. I'd suggest
either the wrapped helical goosenecks or various solid hinged rod
solutions, with or without counterweights. Look at desk lamps if you
need inspiration. I assume you're moving your "object" into a
particular position as needed.

Stan

Heat the rod with a torch after a partial bend to remove the work hardening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Jan 17, 11:56 am, wrote:
[...]

Since when is 'work hardening' always considered reject? As
I stated in
an earlier post 5356 tig rod actually gets harder and
stronger as it gets
flexed in service. I have strips of canoe aluminum you would
swear was
stainless it is so stiff. River boats are made of 5000
series aluminum
to take the abuse of hitting rocks etc. Just my
opinion.......
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Jan 17, 11:56 am, wrote:
[...]

The river boats are 3/16-1/4 5056 and / or 6061 tempered and they do bend
when the rocks make contact. You home they bend and not cut to keep the
water out. As to bending, they do that. Last repair on the bottom of my
Jetcraft cost $1500. My Mig welder is not powerful enough to do a great
weld on the 3/16 plate in my boat. Linclon 180C.

Aluminum - Strong, weldable, bendable - rod Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 August 9th 08 05:11 PM
Soft vise jaws -- aluminum vs. brass Ignoramus18547 Metalworking 16 May 11th 08 11:03 AM
Stainless steel strength equivalence to soft aluminum? John Doe Metalworking 4 April 3rd 08 05:22 AM
bendable wood mm47 Woodworking 11 May 27th 07 02:56 AM
anyone used diamond tipped blades in circular saw for cutting of soft aluminum extrusions ? pogo Metalworking 14 January 4th 06 06:53 AM