Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Logosol question

Has anyone used this Logosol? It looks like it could actually work.

http://tinyurl.com/p93hk8a

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 10, 2014 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
Has anyone used this Logosol? It looks like it could actually work.

http://tinyurl.com/p93hk8a

Thanks.

Not too efficient but effective.

I thought getting that first cut might take some extra equipment as it does.. And that is a pretty beefy saw. Need to be sure you have the right setup for the length of logs you want to mill. I would also opt for getting the log up higher to save the back. So some rigging or other options could help. Not bad for a backwoods operation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:46:13 PM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 4:01:37 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

Has anyone used this Logosol? It looks like it could actually work.

http://tinyurl.com/p93hk8a

Thanks.

Not too efficient but effective.

I thought getting that first cut might take some extra equipment as it does. And that is a pretty beefy saw. Need to be sure you have the right setup for the length of logs you want to mill. I would also opt for getting the log up higher to save the back. So some rigging or other options could help. Not bad for a backwoods operation.

That's what I was thinking too. For $200.00, it looks pretty do-able if the video is any indication. I have a Stihl 290, so it doesn't have the beef that the chainsaw in the video has. The other alternative is to save my pennies for a couple of years and get the stand up model that cranks a chainsaw through the log. It's hard to imagine, though, that I would get my money back on a $1500.00 investment (as if an investment has ever prevented me from buying anything before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgo...HfdVSPmTc0F1_I
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. For $200.00, it looks pretty do-able
if the video is any indication. I have a Stihl 290, so it doesn't
have the beef that the chainsaw in the video has. The other
alternative is to save my pennies for a couple of years and get the
stand up model that cranks a chainsaw through the log. It's hard to
imagine, though, that I would get my money back on a $1500.00
investment (as if an investment has ever prevented me from buying
anything before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgo...HfdVSPmTc0F1_I

You just had to go and do that, didn't you? You just had to post that link.
Do you have any idea at all how much time I've already wasted because of
that, and how much more time I'm going to waste? Sheese...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:10:59 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. For $200.00, it looks pretty do-able

if the video is any indication. I have a Stihl 290, so it doesn't

have the beef that the chainsaw in the video has. The other

alternative is to save my pennies for a couple of years and get the

stand up model that cranks a chainsaw through the log. It's hard to

imagine, though, that I would get my money back on a $1500.00

investment (as if an investment has ever prevented me from buying

anything before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgo...HfdVSPmTc0F1_I

You just had to go and do that, didn't you? You just had to post that link.

Do you have any idea at all how much time I've already wasted because of

that, and how much more time I'm going to waste? Sheese...

--

-Mike-

I've watched it several times and it just keeps getting better every time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 10, 2014 6:01:37 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
Has anyone used this Logosol? It looks like it could actually work. http://tinyurl.com/p93hk8a Thanks.

Milling with a chainsaw is tough work and time consuming. It's not a piece of cake. You will need a good commercial chainsaw, definitly not a homeowner's model, unless you will cut only one moderate size log. A homeowner's model will burn up, fast. Also, you will need a rip cutting chain, not a cross cutting chain.... or, at least, it is best to use a dedicated rip cutting chain.

Using a cross cutting chain, for rip cutting, will put even more pressure on the work of the saw. If using a cross cutting chain, saw much slower, than "normal"(?) speed, and give your saw a rest, often.... let it cool down, periodically.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 6:01:37 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
Has anyone used this Logosol? It looks like it could actually work.
http://tinyurl.com/p93hk8a Thanks.

Milling with a chainsaw is tough work and time consuming. It's not a
piece of cake. You will need a good commercial chainsaw, definitly
not a homeowner's model, unless you will cut only one moderate size
log. A homeowner's model will burn up, fast. Also, you will need a
rip cutting chain, not a cross cutting chain.... or, at least, it is
best to use a dedicated rip cutting chain.

Using a cross cutting chain, for rip cutting, will put even more
pressure on the work of the saw. If using a cross cutting chain, saw
much slower, than "normal"(?) speed, and give your saw a rest,
often.... let it cool down, periodically.

I agree. I've looked at these things many times over the years, and I just
keep coming to the same conclusion - not worth it. A chainsaw is a chainsaw
and no matter how you try to adapt it, it's really not the right tool for
the job. They are slow to produce lumber, they take a very wide kerf, the
need for resharpening is far greater than what is alluded to in the ads, and
finally - you have better things to do with your chainsaw. I'm
(personally...) a far bigger fan of either buying or securing the services
of a portable sawmill - a bandsaw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2014 11:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

Matthias Wandel showed us how to build a capable home made wooden
bandsaw. And for my occasional uses that would be the ticket, and a fun
project to build. A lot of his stuff is extremely well made.

but to build one, you often need to build another.

--
Jeff