Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More Woodworking.....Sorry. ;~)

I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6 weeks
and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio cabinets when I
can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Impressive work, Clean Shop, and I do envy that!
Very nice photo journal of you and your family's work.
The quilts are very nice.
I like the care and product that comes from such an environment.
john

"Leon" wrote in message

I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6 weeks
and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio cabinets when I
can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 1:51 PM, jloomis wrote:
Impressive work, Clean Shop, and I do envy that!
Very nice photo journal of you and your family's work.
The quilts are very nice.
I like the care and product that comes from such an environment.
john

Thank you John, actually the shop is a disaster. ;~) I'll be getting
things back in order this week. I hope.

"Leon" wrote in message

I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6 weeks
and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio cabinets when I
can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6 weeks
and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio cabinets when I
can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

Nice door detail.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 3:42 PM, woodchucker wrote:

On 3/2/2014 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

Nice door detail.

Got to touch them last evening. Solid walnut, raised panel, crisp detail.

They are fark'n spectacular.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 13:26:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The look reminiscent of the tower side units that you made for the
bedroom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

Nice door detail.

Got to touch them last evening. Solid walnut, raised panel, crisp detail.

They are fark'n spectacular.

Hi! I'm Leon

Thank you. ;~0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:51:20 PM UTC-6, jloomis wrote:
Impressive work, Clean Shop, and I do envy that! Very nice photo journal of you and your family's work. The quilts are very nice. I like the care and product that comes from such an environment. john

Impressive, indeed. I always learn something or get some insight from Leon's work.

And John, your work is no slouch either. Very nice landscaping and detailing, etal. --- http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 8:47 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:51:20 PM UTC-6, jloomis wrote:
Impressive work, Clean Shop, and I do envy that! Very nice photo journal of you and your family's work. The quilts are very nice. I like the care and product that comes from such an environment. john

Impressive, indeed. I always learn something or get some insight from Leon's work.

Thank you

And John, your work is no slouch either. Very nice landscaping and detailing, etal. --- http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

Sonny

He does do impressive work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6
weeks and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio
cabinets when I can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements
for the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors
and all the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass
shelves in each upper cabinet.

Sheese - very nice! Like I said - I just love walnut! What did you use for
your panels?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2014 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6 weeks
and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio cabinets when I
can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements for
the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors and all
the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass shelves in
each upper cabinet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I have a few details to take care of, an adjustable shelf for each
bottom cabinet, door bumpers, and plywood backs, but that is the no
brainier part of the job.

I'm curious about the half-round "piping". Firstly, I'm not sure I've
seen that design before. Is that a Leon original? Or perhaps I just
don't get out enough in the fine furniture world.

Second, how did you go about attaching that molding? Did you use pins or
something like that?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/2/2014 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The half round was a design on a client's piece of furniture that I had to
match many years ago when I built some pieces for their dining room. I
can't take credit for that. :-)
I made some spacing jigs to attach/clamp on all 4 sides of each door to
index the pieces against and I used Titebond Trim glue and 1/2" long 23
gauge pins to attach until the glue dried. I still need to use a walnut
putty stick to cover the pin holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6
weeks and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio
cabinets when I can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements
for the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors
and all the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass
shelves in each upper cabinet.

Sheese - very nice! Like I said - I just love walnut! What did you use for
your panels?

Walnut. :-). The vertices side panels are 1/4" walnut plywood. The
horizontal top and mid panels are solid walnut.

Thank you Mike.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6
weeks and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio
cabinets when I can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements
for the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors
and all the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass
shelves in each upper cabinet.

Sheese - very nice! Like I said - I just love walnut! What did you
use for your panels?

Walnut. :-). The vertices side panels are 1/4" walnut plywood. The
horizontal top and mid panels are solid walnut.

Where do you get your walnut ply from? Is it full 1/4"? What kind of price
do you have to pay?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Man Leon, those look great. I'll bet in person they are even more impressive. In fact, I have no doubt. When I was there at Christmas they were still just a twinkle in the eye and an image on the screen...

So with all the details on that work it seems you have been pretty busy! I am sorry you have to keep on project of you Dad's health. It is a project, and when I was taking care of mine it was more tiring and exasperating than anything I have ever done. My thoughts are with both you and Kim.

Anyway, looking at the album saw the cabs less the glass and studied on the configuration of the uprights over the base. Years ago I built a small display care from walnut, and the uprights only extended about 2 1/2 feet above the base and then had the top secured to them. I had to replace one of the uprights as it twisted just enough to make it noticeable and then it affected the glass measurement as well.

How did you make sure your wood for the uprights that frame the glass was stable enough to keep from twisting? I used American Black Walnut (looks like the wood you used) but it wasn't kiln dried or anything like that. Down to the hard wood supplier and (no picking the pile at our local suppliers as they wound up with enormous piles of unusable crap after about month of that from the cabinet guys)and I got what I got.

I know you got the wood while I was in Houston as Karl showed me a pic you sent him, so it certainly hasn't had time to acclimate in the garage.

So... howdja do it?

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2014 7:43 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have been dealing with my father's health issues for the past 6
weeks and have been having to squeeze in the work of the curio
cabinets when I can.

Anyway I will be contacting my glass man tomorrow with measurements
for the glass and mirrors. The vack upper cabinets get the mirrors
and all the other open spaces get the tempered glass. Then 3 glass
shelves in each upper cabinet.

Sheese - very nice! Like I said - I just love walnut! What did you
use for your panels?

Walnut. :-). The vertices side panels are 1/4" walnut plywood. The
horizontal top and mid panels are solid walnut.

Where do you get your walnut ply from? Is it full 1/4"? What kind of price
do you have to pay?

I buy from Hardwood Products or Hardwood Lumber/AKA Clark's hardwood
lumber in Houston. No, it is not full 1/4" That sheet, Walnut on the
good side, Maple/Birch on the other side was $56.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks Leon. I just talked to a new distributor today who sells full 1/4"
walnut finished both sides for $85. Don't know what one side finish would
cost. I'd be fine with one side walnut and then stain the inside since it
really won't be seen well enough to know the difference anyway.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2014 11:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thank you Robert, compliments from you and Swingman and several others
here mean a lot to me. Cuz I know y'all know, having been there your
selves. ;~)

Dad is doing better every day but not near fast enough for my bystander
siblings that think they are helping out by telling me what we should be
doing by their vast knowledge of how he sounds on the telephone, should
they actually call him, much less go to visit him, if you know what I
mean. His doctor likes what he is seeing and we do too.

The top section is four rail and stile panels, each built a little
differently to accept glass, mirrors, or nothing. The front and back
panel stiles have rabbits to accept the side panels assemblies. That is
an indexing thing more than anything to aid alignment during glue up.

And yes I bought about 9~10 1x10x10' pieces of Walnut. I went through
probably 100 boards to get the straightest. Hardwood Products, where I
bought the wood, stands their lumber on end so culling was not too big
of a deal but I had my daily work out after going through the stack.

Sooooo twist was not too much of an issue but then again the rabbits
indexing the fronts, backs, and sides helped to keep every thing square,
straight, and fully seated in place during clamping.

What I did not anticipate was the flex of the panels when clamping the 4
sides together. On the ends near the top and bottoms rails there was no
issue but as I worked toward the centers, where there is no rail or
panel for support you would have witnessed the cool, calm, and collected
Leon about poop his pants as clamps began falling off as the center of
the panels flexed. ;~) The quick solution was to cut exact fit spacers
to act as temporary rails at each clamp position. That absolutely
worked splendidly and you see the result, so there was no twist or
distortion. I was lucky to have thought up and implemented that
solution as the glue had already been applied with panels and clamps in
place when I was cutting those exact length scrap plywood spacers.

A picture is worth.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/12911341615/

And yes, the wood is American black walnut.

All of that aside, I did come up with a great way of indexing my rails
perfectly at the ends of the stiles when gluing up rail and stile frames
that have no center panels. The results again were perfect with no need
to address a slightly too long or too short stile after the glue dried.

That is what is going on here, less the side clamps that squeeze the
stiles into the ends of the rails.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/12912012314/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

You'd never match the color.
If it were a door it would stand out, if it were the side of a hutch or
book case it would stand out.
Inside a bottom cabinet ... no one would know really. you could actually
leave it light colored so one gets more reflection to see in there.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

If you recall the TV nook that I built with 1/2" walnut panels hanging
on the walls with walnut on both sides, IIRC I paid $110 for the sheet.
The 3/4" walnut both side panels for the cabinet sides was $125, IIRC.

IRC #woodworking dcider Woodworking 2 November 15th 09 04:20 PM
OMG Woodworking Tip's Leon[_6_] Woodworking 6 September 15th 09 02:15 PM
General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools Upscale Woodworking 8 November 29th 07 08:23 PM
New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking Susan Welchel Woodworking 67 July 25th 05 06:58 PM
3rd RFD: rec.woodworking.all-ages (was: rec.woodworking.moderated) mbrooks Woodturning 10 September 22nd 04 10:57 PM