Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Because this is funny and there is no woodworking at the moment

Jeopardy, the game show.

Sort of a snooty show hosted by a sorta snooty Alex Trebek. Alex Trebek
has on more than one occasion sorta hinted to a contestant in so many
words that you need to be smart to play the game.

The game changer, a contestant that is actually smart and not just a
walking encyclopedia that often cannot apply his knowledge. The type of
person educated beyond his intelligence.

This latest contestant is ****ing every one off because he knows how to
play to win vs. just knowing the answers. So far he is up over $100K.

It really did not take a genius to figure out this simple technique, but
some one with more common sense that most all other contestants.

Jeopardy may never be the same.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jeopar...145855030.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:53:28 -0600, Leon wrote:

This latest contestant is ****ing every one off because he knows how to
play to win vs. just knowing the answers. So far he is up over $100K.

My wife and I are long time Jeopardy watchers. We saw nothing unusual in
his jumping around the board. He was a little quick on replies but we
remember others who did likewise.

He's gone now, so the tempest will blow over.

We only get upset when Jeopardy is usurped by some #$%^ sporting
event :-).

Remember what Hemingway said: "The only real sports are auto racing and
bullfighting - everything else is just exercise."

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 12:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:53:28 -0600, Leon wrote:

This latest contestant is ****ing every one off because he knows how to
play to win vs. just knowing the answers. So far he is up over $100K.

My wife and I are long time Jeopardy watchers. We saw nothing unusual in
his jumping around the board. He was a little quick on replies but we
remember others who did likewise.

He's gone now, so the tempest will blow over.

Actually he is scheduled to be back on the show on the 24th. to try for
his fifth win and be considered for the Champions episode.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 1:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:53:28 -0600, Leon wrote:

This latest contestant is ****ing every one off because he knows how to
play to win vs. just knowing the answers. So far he is up over $100K.

My wife and I are long time Jeopardy watchers. We saw nothing unusual in
his jumping around the board. He was a little quick on replies but we
remember others who did likewise.

He's gone now, so the tempest will blow over.

We only get upset when Jeopardy is usurped by some #$%^ sporting
event :-).

Remember what Hemingway said: "The only real sports are auto racing and
bullfighting - everything else is just exercise."

My wife and I are big fans of Jeopardy.
I didn't feel he was doing anything wrong.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 12:41 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/4/2014 1:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:53:28 -0600, Leon wrote:

This latest contestant is ****ing every one off because he knows how to
play to win vs. just knowing the answers. So far he is up over $100K.

My wife and I are long time Jeopardy watchers. We saw nothing unusual in
his jumping around the board. He was a little quick on replies but we
remember others who did likewise.

He's gone now, so the tempest will blow over.

We only get upset when Jeopardy is usurped by some #$%^ sporting
event :-).

Remember what Hemingway said: "The only real sports are auto racing and
bullfighting - everything else is just exercise."

My wife and I are big fans of Jeopardy.
I didn't feel he was doing anything wrong.

He was doing nothing wrong according to the rules. He was however not
playing in the fashion that the producers and Alex would have preferred.

If you choose the big dollar questions first and get them right you can
miss more answers and still stay ahead. If you start at the bottom and
let the "excitement" build you have to answer more answers to win $1000.

So if all of the contestants know all of the questions to the answers,
the contestant that starts with the $1000 answer and goes down will get
a commanding lead if he is quick to push the buzzer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

And that is actually a smart way to play. I always wondered why more
people didn't do that. Especially when behind.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I think contestants play from the bottom up because that is how they
see/saw it being played for the previous 30 years.

Because this latest contestant has caused such a stir on the media
Jeopardy may change in how it is being played in the future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I hope not. I don't think it needs new rules to control the flow.

Years ago the questions were harder. I think they dumbed them down quite
a bit to make them more generic.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You have just gotten smarter. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That's impossible how'd that happen??? :-0

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You have been reading my posts! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 2:58 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I think they play that way for another reason.
The answer get progressively more difficult. They is often a "theme"
beyond the category title to the way the "answers" are worded. So
starting on the easy ones can make answering the difficult ones... well,
less difficult.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:32:19 -0600, Leon wrote:

Years ago the questions were harder. I think they dumbed them down
quite a bit to make them more generic.

You have just gotten smarter. ;~)

Jeff may or may not have gotten smarter, but the questions on Jeopardy
have definitely been dumbed down. And lots more questions on TV, movies,
and sports than there used to be. With correspondingly less on science,
history, etc..

OTOH, Ask Marilyn has been dumbed down so far anybody who hadn't read it
for a year or two wouldn't even recognize it. Sheesh!

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 13:58:24 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

I don't understand your point. If you start at the top and question
all of the bottom answers later, you win too. They almost always
clear the board.

So if all of the contestants know all of the questions to the answers,
the contestant that starts with the $1000 answer and goes down will get
a commanding lead if he is quick to push the buzzer.

How so? The fastest then wins, no matter what order. I'm completely
missing your point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 6:30 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:32:19 -0600, Leon wrote:

Years ago the questions were harder. I think they dumbed them down
quite a bit to make them more generic.

You have just gotten smarter. ;~)

Jeff may or may not have gotten smarter, but the questions on Jeopardy
have definitely been dumbed down. And lots more questions on TV, movies,
and sports than there used to be. With correspondingly less on science,
history, etc..

Well you are probably right, we would not want anyone that is playing
the game to not feel that he was smart.

Give him a trophy for participating!

OTOH, Ask Marilyn has been dumbed down so far anybody who hadn't read it
for a year or two wouldn't even recognize it. Sheesh!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Ok first answer won gets you $1000. the other two opponents fight to
get the answers to the $100, 200, 300, and the 400 dollar question to
tie your score. Mean while you are working in the other $1000 questions.

Start off getting the $1000 answers and you sling shot so far ahead that
the opponents can't catch up.

Beat the opponents to the big prize, it pays more.

So if all of the contestants know all of the questions to the answers,
the contestant that starts with the $1000 answer and goes down will get
a commanding lead if he is quick to push the buzzer.

How so? The fastest then wins, no matter what order. I'm completely
missing your point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 7:30 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:32:19 -0600, Leon wrote:

Years ago the questions were harder. I think they dumbed them down
quite a bit to make them more generic.

You have just gotten smarter. ;~)

Jeff may or may not have gotten smarter, but the questions on Jeopardy
have definitely been dumbed down. And lots more questions on TV, movies,
and sports than there used to be. With correspondingly less on science,
history, etc..

OTOH, Ask Marilyn has been dumbed down so far anybody who hadn't read it
for a year or two wouldn't even recognize it. Sheesh!

Yep , more tv , movies.. never used to be.

I used to enjoy ASK Marilyn, used to be tough questions. Now pretty
basic stuff.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, then let them have $100/200, 200/400, 300/600, and 400/800, and
you take the 500/1000. That works the same way (not so well ;-).

Start off getting the $1000 answers and you sling shot so far ahead that
the opponents can't catch up.

Assuming you do. If all contestants are equal, it doesn't matter.

Beat the opponents to the big prize, it pays more.

But if you start small, the big prize is still there. If you're
guaranteed to win it, then you'll just get it later. Still not seeing
it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 13:08:59 -0500, krw wrote:

Beat the opponents to the big prize, it pays more.

But if you start small, the big prize is still there. If you're
guaranteed to win it, then you'll just get it later. Still not seeing
it.

You could always Ask Marilyn :-).

Or take my word for it - he's right.

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:25:47 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 13:08:59 -0500, krw wrote:

Beat the opponents to the big prize, it pays more.

But if you start small, the big prize is still there. If you're
guaranteed to win it, then you'll just get it later. Still not seeing
it.

You could always Ask Marilyn :-).

Huh?

Or take my word for it - he's right.

Not buying it.

an ah ha moment woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 4 November 4th 13 02:13 PM
OT, Another WTF Moment The Daring Dufas[_8_] Home Repair 57 August 15th 13 11:20 PM
Duh moment Mike Richardson Woodworking 2 November 23rd 05 12:51 AM
Funny woodworking phrases on stuff Covey Woodworking 26 July 9th 05 09:54 PM
A Tylenol moment Gunner Metalworking 13 September 1st 04 06:23 AM