Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yes, more ideas

I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room. I
think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn what
must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six times
as many things as you'll actually build?

And this one has an extra added concern: stability and strength. Most of
what I've built up to now has been 3/4" plywood boxes with face frames
and backs. Those were all obviously several times stronger than they
needed to be. But I saw something in a catalog that gave me an idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/
(scroll left to see a front view and a side view)

The unit as drawn is 5' tall.

My original idea looked like the one on the left. But I worried that
since it wasn't as overbuilt as my usual practice, it might not be
stable enough. Each side is effectively a big open rectangle with only a
2.5" high slat to keep the shape from racking.

So I modified it, resulting in the drawing on the right. That adds
another 1x3 in the middle, around all four sides.

I think the left-hand drawing looks more graceful, but will it hold up
when full? I also haven't decided on how to attach the shelves (except
the bottom one, of course). My first thought is some sort of supports in
the corners. If I go with the left-hand design I figure to fasten the
middle shelf to the side slats as well, to keep them straight and aligned.

Thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room. I
think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn what
must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six
times as many things as you'll actually build?

Yes, 6 iterations is good. Be glad you didn't spend your time and
materials on the first 5. By now, you figured out what you want.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room.
I think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn
what must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six
times as many things as you'll actually build?

Yes, 6 iterations is good. Be glad you didn't spend your time and
materials on the first 5. By now, you figured out what you want.

What is the point of being able to see through the sides and back? Maybe
it depends on where you put them? If you put them against a wall, do
you want to see the wall behind the books when you look into the
cabinet? I think half of the point of a cabinet is to hide stuff--to
abstract it away to reduce clutter. For instance I don't understand why
people build TV stands with see-through panels on the sides. YMMV.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 10:10 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Having see though cabinets, if done right, can help to lessen the effect
the cabinet has on the room. For instance if you can see the wall
behind the cabinet it might not make the room look quite as small if you
were wanting storage in a relatively small room.

My wife and I have a relatively large kitchen/ kitchen table area/ hall.
HUH? ;~) Basically you walk through this area after entering the
house and passing the side office. All through out we have 11' tall
ceilings. On the walk through/hall area I designed and built a
relatively large wall cabinet, I call it the pantry. Its dimensions are
8' wide, 8' tall, and about 16" deep. Even on that 11' tall wall that
is approximately 17' long I had concerns of this monster of dominating
the area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 10:47 PM, Leon wrote:

Oops , hit send by accident.

Anyway we put most all of the food that normally goes into a pantry in
to that unit. Typically one would want to hide can goods, chip bags,
snacks, etc. I felt that solid doors would make the unit stand out so I
added a little bit of distraction by using glass paneled doors on the
top half. Yes you see all the pantry items but I used "flemish" glass
so that the items in the cabinet mostly added color to the unit rather
than offer a crystal clear view to the contents.

Basically a little bit of distraction from the piece of furniture can
make it appear not so over bearing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I see your point. No one has come to me yet for home-decorating advise.
I think I would be inclined to think about how I could make them ornate
through the use of face-frames. I decided I'm not decorating with
"mission-style" furniture, so that may have something to do with my
preferences. I'm enthusiastic for Greg's project, no matter how he
chooses to do it! The temperature is still 6-degrees here, so no one is
building anything yet.

My wife and I have a relatively large kitchen/ kitchen table area/
hall. HUH? ;~) Basically you walk through this area after entering
the house and passing the side office. All through out we have 11'
tall ceilings. On the walk through/hall area I designed and built a
relatively large wall cabinet, I call it the pantry. Its dimensions
are 8' wide, 8' tall, and about 16" deep. Even on that 11' tall wall
that is approximately 17' long I had concerns of this monster of
dominating the area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

[...]

Either way, I wouldn't worry about racking assuming top/bottom/shelves are
reasonably well attached. Standing up is another matter...pretty small
footbrint for five feet of books.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 10:47 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room. I
think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn what
must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six
times as many things as you'll actually build?

Yes, 6 iterations is good. Be glad you didn't spend your time and
materials on the first 5. By now, you figured out what you want.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. I have many more ideas than I have time to
build. I foresee several more changes at least, and I can't rule out
wholesale redesign.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 11:10 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I could possibly make a case for a more "airy" quality, or less
"obtrusiveness" as Leon suggested. But it's more that I just like the
"look". I might even make two units to flank a window, in which case
some of the stuff inside would be decorative. The end table design that
I (think I have) decided on would have some similar features.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

In addition, it presents a new challenge to my fledgling woodworking
skills. I seem to have reasonably mastered making plywood boxes with
face frames; this might expand my range a little bit.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 9:06 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. I have many more ideas than I have time to
build. I foresee several more changes at least, and I can't rule out
wholesale redesign.

Likewise ... often take the time to simply model those ideas up in
SketchUp, and just save the file for whenever I do have the time, if ever.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Don't you like "curves" even a little bit? ; )

Have fun!
Bill

In addition, it presents a new challenge to my fledgling woodworking
skills. I seem to have reasonably mastered making plywood boxes with
face frames; this might expand my range a little bit.

---
protection is active.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Depends on context.

I have in fact designed a couple of things with curves:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

.... the kind of curves I figured I could actually make with my limited
tool complement. Without a band saw, I figured to rough them out with a
jigsaw and clean up the edge with a router and a template bit. But at
this point those designs look like they will remain virtual.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/29/2014 6:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I could possibly make a case for a more "airy" quality, or less
"obtrusiveness" as Leon suggested. But it's more that I just like the
"look". I might even make two units to flank a window, in which case
some of the stuff inside would be decorative. The end table design
that I (think I have) decided on would have some similar features.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

Don't you like "curves" even a little bit? ; )

Depends on context.

I have in fact designed a couple of things with curves:

Lots of woodworkers are not artists. Maybe not even me, but there is a
slight bit of evidence to the contrary and I enjoy striving. So please
take my comments below in the friendly, open-minded sense that they are
offered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

Above, I feel like "I'm being attacked". If the planes/shelves in middle
were co-planar with the shelves on the sides the piece would have more
harmony.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

I like this one much better. But the front of the shelves Must, IMO,
have the same curve as the top and the bottom.
If the previous example had the same shape as this one, I would like it
better.

Maybe you can "combine" these feature just to see what it looks like?

Cheers,
Bill