Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yes, more ideas

I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room. I
think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn what
must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six times
as many things as you'll actually build?

And this one has an extra added concern: stability and strength. Most of
what I've built up to now has been 3/4" plywood boxes with face frames
and backs. Those were all obviously several times stronger than they
needed to be. But I saw something in a catalog that gave me an idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...n/photostream/
(scroll left to see a front view and a side view)

The unit as drawn is 5' tall.

My original idea looked like the one on the left. But I worried that
since it wasn't as overbuilt as my usual practice, it might not be
stable enough. Each side is effectively a big open rectangle with only a
2.5" high slat to keep the shape from racking.

So I modified it, resulting in the drawing on the right. That adds
another 1x3 in the middle, around all four sides.

I think the left-hand drawing looks more graceful, but will it hold up
when full? I also haven't decided on how to attach the shelves (except
the bottom one, of course). My first thought is some sort of supports in
the corners. If I go with the left-hand design I figure to fasten the
middle shelf to the side slats as well, to keep them straight and aligned.

Thoughts?