Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Yes, more ideas

On 1/28/2014 11:10 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I'm still musing on how to build several things for the living room.
I think I'm mostly settled on the end tables, but I've just drawn
what must be at least the sixth permutation of a set of shelves for
cookbooks. I guess that's what Sketchup is for, right? Drawing six
times as many things as you'll actually build?

Yes, 6 iterations is good. Be glad you didn't spend your time and
materials on the first 5. By now, you figured out what you want.

What is the point of being able to see through the sides and back? Maybe
it depends on where you put them? If you put them against a wall, do
you want to see the wall behind the books when you look into the
cabinet? I think half of the point of a cabinet is to hide stuff--to
abstract it away to reduce clutter. For instance I don't understand why
people build TV stands with see-through panels on the sides. YMMV.

Bill

I could possibly make a case for a more "airy" quality, or less
"obtrusiveness" as Leon suggested. But it's more that I just like the
"look". I might even make two units to flank a window, in which case
some of the stuff inside would be decorative. The end table design that
I (think I have) decided on would have some similar features.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

In addition, it presents a new challenge to my fledgling woodworking
skills. I seem to have reasonably mastered making plywood boxes with
face frames; this might expand my range a little bit.

---