Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Crazy? (on topic)

On 1/28/2014 6:04 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/28/2014 7:11 PM, wrote:

What sort of target will you be using?

B-27, most likely.

Uh, BINGO! ... ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Think I'll head to the indoor range. What better way to celebrate a
'State of the Union' than exercise a Constitutional right and run a
few mags of .45ACP.

I don't have an indoor range nearby to go shoot at and if I did, I don't
know if they'd let me shoot my .41Mag anyway. Too cold to set up some
targets outside right now, but your comment did get me thinking about it.
Might wait for temps to get back up into the 30's so that it will feel like
a heat wave and we look for something to do outside. Thinking it's almost
time to pull the trigger (so to speak...) on a new gun. Still undecided
whether I'm going to go with a .40S&W or a 9mm. Good arguments on both
sides and I keep bouncing back and forth. I want something that conceals
well which makes me tend toward the 9mm but I like the overall
characteristics of the .40S&W. I'm not one who sees the 9mm as a useless
gun. All I know at this point is that an auto is in the near future for me.
Probably early summer.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2014 9:11 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Thinking it's almost
time to pull the trigger (so to speak...) on a new gun. Still undecided
whether I'm going to go with a .40S&W or a 9mm. Good arguments on both
sides and I keep bouncing back and forth. I want something that conceals
well which makes me tend toward the 9mm but I like the overall
characteristics of the .40S&W.

Ruger SR40c is a good concealed weapon in .40S&W:
3.5" barrel weighs 23.4 oz., 6.85"L x 4.6"H x 1.27"W.
It takes both 9 and 15 round magazines.
http://ruger.com/products/sr40c/models.html
http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...-sr40c-review/
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR40C.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/30/2014 9:11 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Thinking it's almost
time to pull the trigger (so to speak...) on a new gun. Still
undecided whether I'm going to go with a .40S&W or a 9mm. Good
arguments on both sides and I keep bouncing back and forth. I want
something that conceals well which makes me tend toward the 9mm but
I like the overall characteristics of the .40S&W.

Ruger SR40c is a good concealed weapon in .40S&W:
3.5" barrel weighs 23.4 oz., 6.85"L x 4.6"H x 1.27"W.
It takes both 9 and 15 round magazines.
http://ruger.com/products/sr40c/models.html
http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...-sr40c-review/
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR40C.htm

That is one of the top of the list guns for me right now. I'm a Ruger guy.
They are a great company and build great guns. The SR40C keeps sticking its
head over the top of the list...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Crazy? (now off topic)

On 1/30/2014 12:04 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

That is one of the top of the list guns for me right now. I'm a Ruger guy.
They are a great company and build great guns. The SR40C keeps sticking its
head over the top of the list...

(For some reason I did not see "Just Wondering"'s post?)

One of my sisters carries the Ruger SR40C and loves it. I fired it few
times and personally was just not comfortable with the trigger
safety/firing pin block, and don't know if I could ever be with it for a
ccw.

I'm just not a fan of striker fired pistols for my use. If I was younger
I would probably join the Glock crowd, but, being 1911 trained, I want
either a DA wheel gun for ccw (my S&W Model 38); or a 1911 type action I
can carry cocked and locked and be able to rely on years of muscle
memory/combat training instinct behind it. AAMOF, I've looked at the
Springfield EMP in .40S&W for that very reason, but have still not
decided to change from the old DA Bodyguard.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Isn't it weird how that works - such different guns, yet some just feel
better for some, and others feel better for the rest. I guess it's like you
said in part - what you're used to. Since my .41Mag is a wheel guy, I've
pretty well resigned myself to adapting to a different feel. I'm fine with
that. I've shot my son's S&W .40S&W and I just could not get over the
difference in the feel of firning the two guns. But - I wasn't opposed to
his gun - just simply realized that I was very conscience of the difference.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Isn't it weird how that works - such different guns, yet some just feel
better for some, and others feel better for the rest. I guess it's like you
said in part - what you're used to. Since my .41Mag is a wheel guy, I've
pretty well resigned myself to adapting to a different feel. I'm fine with
that. I've shot my son's S&W .40S&W and I just could not get over the
difference in the feel of firning the two guns. But - I wasn't opposed to
his gun - just simply realized that I was very conscience of the difference.

Going to 9mm, the Sig P938 would be right down my alley. Had a lot of bad
reviews when it came out, but apparently Sig has gotten subsequent
production up to snuff. Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about what you
feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:11:39 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Swingman wrote:

[...]

I'm seriously considering a Kimber 1911 (gotta get the house
closed/sold first) but for a carry gun I bought a Walther PPK (.380).
It easily fits in a pocked. I also have a Beretta 92FS (9mm) and a
S&W 617 (.357) but there is no way to conceal them. I'm with you on
the 9mm comments. I'm not too worried about stopping anyone. That's
what the other 5 rounds are for. ;-)

9mm vs. .40. I'm not a fan of .40s. They seem to bark a lot. I
really can't put my finger on it but I much prefer the 9mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:19:39 -0600, Swingman wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Isn't it weird how that works - such different guns, yet some just feel
better for some, and others feel better for the rest. I guess it's like you
said in part - what you're used to. Since my .41Mag is a wheel guy, I've
pretty well resigned myself to adapting to a different feel. I'm fine with
that. I've shot my son's S&W .40S&W and I just could not get over the
difference in the feel of firning the two guns. But - I wasn't opposed to
his gun - just simply realized that I was very conscience of the difference.

Going to 9mm, the Sig P938 would be right down my alley. Had a lot of bad
reviews when it came out, but apparently Sig has gotten subsequent
production up to snuff. Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about what you
feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

9mm is freeing up, here. I bought a couple of boxes at Academy last
weekend for $12. WallyWorld still has nothing (sometimes some .45).
What's *really* scarce is .22LR and what's available is ridiculous
($70/500? Crazy!).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Going to 9mm, the Sig P938 would be right down my alley. Had a lot of
bad reviews when it came out, but apparently Sig has gotten subsequent
production up to snuff. Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about
what you feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

I havent' been watching ammo at all lately so I didn't realize 9mm was hard
to find. But - the brass is all over the place and I reload...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

...snipped...
.... Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about what you
feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

May have been true some time ago, but today 9mm is probably the most
common handgun ammo around in the country, and certainly the best priced
center-fire handgun ammo in general.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

What's *really* scarce is .22LR and what's available is ridiculous
($70/500? Crazy!).

Yikes! Up here in Canuckistan I recently bought 2,100 rounds of .22LR
in a metal ammo can for about $80 CAD. That was Cabela's employee
pricing, but still...

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2014 7:46 PM, Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

...snipped...
.... Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about what you
feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

May have been true some time ago, but today 9mm is probably the most
common handgun ammo around in the country, and certainly the best priced
center-fire handgun ammo in general.

Maybe where you are, but not around here (TX, AR), where 9mm is still
hard to find in stock on the shelves, and has more than doubled in price
from 2012.

Granted, since Nov there has been more 9mm than in the past year at
places like Walmart, Academy, Gander Mountain, to the point that you may
even find a box or two left on the shelves early in an afternoon, but
there is still a limit of 1 on 9mm purchases at most all retail outlets,
when you can find it, and you simply can't just walk in and count on it
being there.

Forget about finding .22 LR on the shelf at any retail outlet. Gun
ranges and your LGS might have it, but at .17-.46/rd.

Conversely, I have little trouble the past six months finding .38 and
..45ACP on the shelves at most retail stores.

Except for .22LR, the shortage of the past two years does appear to be
letting up, but prices are certainly much higher than two years ago.

That's OK, higher prices mean fewer hoarders ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:33:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

What's *really* scarce is .22LR and what's available is ridiculous
($70/500? Crazy!).

Yikes! Up here in Canuckistan I recently bought 2,100 rounds of .22LR
in a metal ammo can for about $80 CAD. That was Cabela's employee
pricing, but still...

That price was at a gun show. None of the retailers have had any for
a couple of years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:16:03 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/30/2014 7:46 PM, Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

...snipped...
.... Still, a compact 1911 can be finicky about what you
feed it, and 9mm ammo is still hard to locate.

May have been true some time ago, but today 9mm is probably the most
common handgun ammo around in the country, and certainly the best priced
center-fire handgun ammo in general.

Maybe where you are, but not around here (TX, AR), where 9mm is still
hard to find in stock on the shelves, and has more than doubled in price
from 2012.

Granted, since Nov there has been more 9mm than in the past year at
places like Walmart, Academy, Gander Mountain, to the point that you may
even find a box or two left on the shelves early in an afternoon, but
there is still a limit of 1 on 9mm purchases at most all retail outlets,
when you can find it, and you simply can't just walk in and count on it
being there.

Academy, here, is only limiting sales on (nonexistent) .22LR.
Everything else is fair game. 9mm was plentiful, at least a couple of
weeks ago.

Forget about finding .22 LR on the shelf at any retail outlet. Gun
ranges and your LGS might have it, but at .17-.46/rd.

Conversely, I have little trouble the past six months finding .38 and
.45ACP on the shelves at most retail stores.

I still can't find .38+P, anywhere. Also, the bullet types are fairly
restricted. Almost all the .38 I see is JHP. I don't see a lot of
FMJ around. Unjacketed was in plentiful supply at the last gun show
but I hate cleaning that stuff out of the barrels.

Except for .22LR, the shortage of the past two years does appear to be
letting up, but prices are certainly much higher than two years ago.

That's OK, higher prices mean fewer hoarders ...

Or more. I have far more on hand than I used to keep, when I could
drop by WallyWorld on the way to the range any buy anything, cheap.
Whenever I'm in a store that has stock, I buy a box or two of whatever
they have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:33:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

What's *really* scarce is .22LR and what's available is ridiculous
($70/500? Crazy!).

Yikes! Up here in Canuckistan I recently bought 2,100 rounds of .22LR
in a metal ammo can for about $80 CAD. That was Cabela's employee
pricing, but still...

That price was at a gun show. None of the retailers have had any for
a couple of years.

You can't get .22LR? That is indeed crazy! Where is it all? I'm buying
Federal up here, and it's marked made in USA...

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:09:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:33:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

What's *really* scarce is .22LR and what's available is ridiculous
($70/500? Crazy!).

Yikes! Up here in Canuckistan I recently bought 2,100 rounds of .22LR
in a metal ammo can for about $80 CAD. That was Cabela's employee
pricing, but still...

That price was at a gun show. None of the retailers have had any for
a couple of years.

You can't get .22LR? That is indeed crazy! Where is it all? I'm buying
Federal up here, and it's marked made in USA...

Like I said, other than at a gun show (with ridiculous prices), I have
seen *zero* for at least two years. Everything else seems to be
coming back but still not plentiful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

That price was at a gun show. None of the retailers have had any for
a couple of years.

You can't get .22LR? That is indeed crazy! Where is it all? I'm buying
Federal up here, and it's marked made in USA...

Crazier than you can imagine, with regard to .22LR

Around here there are actually organized 'teams' who line up at 6AM to
buy any .22LR that are on the shelves when Academy opens at 8.

They clean the shelves, one to a person, then all load up in the same
van in the parking lot.

WalMart and other retail outlets the same, except the buyers seem to
know precisely when shipments are in and are actually put on the
shelves. There is no doubt that there is 'insider trading' and collusion
going on, routinely verified by employees of these outlets who are on
regional gun forums and have stated that to be exactly the case, and
occasionally dropping a few hints to the participants.

Most of this stuff ends up at local gun shows at high prices, or on the
online ammo sites at high prices where it is sold FTF, or is hoarded
against future high prices and shortages. AAMOF, there are several
precious metal investment adviser services that no include ammo as one
of the commodities.

I use "Ammobots", and often check them at the wee hours of the morning
for .22LR. By having pre-signed up for online accounts at most of the
ammo retailers (Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, et al), I can pull the trigger
pretty fast on an order below .08/round, providing the shipping makes it
worthwhile:

http://www.wikiarms.com/

I pretty much stocked up in the last year at around .05/rd, and only buy
now when I see a good deal with shipping.

Just bought 500 rounds from Natchez 10PM night before last for 32.95;
went back at around 1AM to buy another 500 and they were "out of stock.
Sometimes it only takes minutes from when wiki shows it "in stock", to
being "out of stock".

I also have an existing "back order" of 1400 rds at .04/rd from Midway,
originally ordered at 3AM in Sep 2013, and scheduled for shipping, first
by 12/31/2013, but now changed to 6/30/2014. Go figure ...

My youngest daughter likes to target shoot with her .22LR Browning Buck
Mark, and I enjoy the break, and cost savings, by shooting .22LR myself,
so I try to stay stocked up if the price is right. We just generally
restock what she shoot lately, unless like the above, it's a pretty good
deal.

Times have changed, and the libtards and their media cohorts, with their
constant anti Second Amendment gnashing and wailing, have dramatically
increased the demand for both guns and ammo in the past few years, and
the Molon Labe crowd are reacting as expected.

--
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop