Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router on lathe ..

Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/14, 1:28 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

Hell yeah, it's dangerous.... especially the way he has it oriented.
There are safe ways to do it, but not like that.

Of course, my question is always.... WHY!?
Why have two objects moving, the stock and the blade?
Why not rough it out with a regular hand held gouge tool.
Anyone who's been turning a year can rough that out with a gouge faster
than it took him with that contraption. I'm sure there are
eleventy-thousand youtube videos showing it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

My eyes kinda got out of focus there close to the end. He's braver
(or crazier) than I have been since a teen.

--
 GW Ross

 Everyone is gifted, but some open the
 package sooner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/22/2014 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/22/14, 1:28 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

Hell yeah, it's dangerous.... especially the way he has it oriented.
There are safe ways to do it, but not like that.

Of course, my question is always.... WHY!?
Why have two objects moving, the stock and the blade?
Why not rough it out with a regular hand held gouge tool.
Anyone who's been turning a year can rough that out with a gouge faster
than it took him with that contraption. I'm sure there are
eleventy-thousand youtube videos showing it.

Not to mention that the legs he makes with it are butt ugly. With a
1/2" or so router bit he is limited to large coves and beads. No V cuts
or anything actually interesting on the leg.

I wonder too how much those bits are and how many he burns through. You
know there's going to be sand and such in the bark of the wood sooner or
later...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

From the way that guy's voice sounds, I think he already had a bad accident.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2014 4:48 PM, Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

From the way that guy's voice sounds, I think he already had a bad accident.

He sounds that way cuz he is Canada'n EH?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in :

Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

I think the guy's an idiot. Hasn't he ever heard of a roughing gouge??

There's nothing inherently unsafe in what he's doing *after* it's roughed to a cylinder, but there
are easier and better ways of duplicating pieces on a lathe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2014 9:18 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in :

Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

I think the guy's an idiot. Hasn't he ever heard of a roughing gouge??

There's nothing inherently unsafe in what he's doing *after* it's roughed to a cylinder, but there
are easier and better ways of duplicating pieces on a lathe.

After watching the video, I am impressed.
I did not see the router jerk at all. I did not see it get banged by the
lopsided blank. I think what he did is kind of interesting about how he
takes a really off balance piece and quickly trues it up without having
to bandsaw it.

It appears the bit length and method that he uses to enter the blank are
quite effective.

I wouldn't want to do it, but it appears to be safe based on what I see.
I was surprised at the way he mounts the motor and switch. I would not
want to have the switch in that location in case something went really
wrong. I would want it where I was, not the opposite end of a catapult.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/22/2014 01:28 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

He needs a bigger router.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:28:48 PM UTC-6, Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit

scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

That is an accident waiting to happen. I treat my router and lathe as two rabid dogs waiting to bite my ass. Running the two of them together like this is just asking for a trip to the ER.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:20:54 AM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:

That is an accident waiting to happen. I treat my router and lathe as two rabid dogs waiting to bite my ass. Running the two of them together like this is just asking for a trip to the ER.

I have never had a router bite me, but it is because I am a bit scared of anything that moves that fast. And there are plenty of stories of bit shattering on the net when using bits as designed, so why tempt fate? I wonder why this guy doesn't just strap the router to his chest and go for it.

On the other hand, I have nicked myself pretty good with the lathe. I was thinking of the shattered pieces of wood that have launched off the machine knocking hole in the garage wall, the catches I have had that broke a chunk of wood into pieces, etc. Lathes are as dangerous a machine as you can work on. So to see that nitwit with a piece of firewood turning on a lathe to begin with is idiocy.

When I taught turning, I made anyone I was teaching get it at least close to round before mounting up on the machine.

As my Mom used to say, "that guy has been playing on the train tracks too long".

Robert