Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Router on lathe ..

On 01/22/2014 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/22/14, 1:28 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

Hell yeah, it's dangerous.... especially the way he has it oriented.
There are safe ways to do it, but not like that.

Of course, my question is always.... WHY!?
Why have two objects moving, the stock and the blade?
Why not rough it out with a regular hand held gouge tool.
Anyone who's been turning a year can rough that out with a gouge faster
than it took him with that contraption. I'm sure there are
eleventy-thousand youtube videos showing it.

Not to mention that the legs he makes with it are butt ugly. With a
1/2" or so router bit he is limited to large coves and beads. No V cuts
or anything actually interesting on the leg.

I wonder too how much those bits are and how many he burns through. You
know there's going to be sand and such in the bark of the wood sooner or
later...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller