Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Router on lathe ..

On 1/22/2014 9:18 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in :

Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit
scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt5ui3P9QA

I think the guy's an idiot. Hasn't he ever heard of a roughing gouge??

There's nothing inherently unsafe in what he's doing *after* it's roughed to a cylinder, but there
are easier and better ways of duplicating pieces on a lathe.

After watching the video, I am impressed.
I did not see the router jerk at all. I did not see it get banged by the
lopsided blank. I think what he did is kind of interesting about how he
takes a really off balance piece and quickly trues it up without having
to bandsaw it.

It appears the bit length and method that he uses to enter the blank are
quite effective.

I wouldn't want to do it, but it appears to be safe based on what I see.
I was surprised at the way he mounts the motor and switch. I would not
want to have the switch in that location in case something went really
wrong. I would want it where I was, not the opposite end of a catapult.

--
Jeff