Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router on lathe ..

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:20:54 AM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:

That is an accident waiting to happen. I treat my router and lathe as two rabid dogs waiting to bite my ass. Running the two of them together like this is just asking for a trip to the ER.

I have never had a router bite me, but it is because I am a bit scared of anything that moves that fast. And there are plenty of stories of bit shattering on the net when using bits as designed, so why tempt fate? I wonder why this guy doesn't just strap the router to his chest and go for it.

On the other hand, I have nicked myself pretty good with the lathe. I was thinking of the shattered pieces of wood that have launched off the machine knocking hole in the garage wall, the catches I have had that broke a chunk of wood into pieces, etc. Lathes are as dangerous a machine as you can work on. So to see that nitwit with a piece of firewood turning on a lathe to begin with is idiocy.

When I taught turning, I made anyone I was teaching get it at least close to round before mounting up on the machine.

As my Mom used to say, "that guy has been playing on the train tracks too long".

Robert