Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unbelieveable Day!

Great day, today. Warm, eager to be back in the shop, working on the bathroom corner cabinets. I usually have the laptop in the shop, to reference diagrams, but not today.

Went into the house to view the diagrams. The maid is no where in sight. I didn't think anything of it. Walking back to the shop, I heard a saw kick on.... some sort of electrical problem, to automatically turn on, that way?

I approached the shop doorway and saw it happen. The maid sawed her left 4 fingers off, right at the palm. I triaged her and was at the hospital within 15 minutes, with her amputated fingers on ice.

I later found out she had been suicidal and had stabbed herself earlier this week.

Her mother had brought her to work and nothing seemed amiss. We all chatted gingerly, as usual, and we had even gathered some veggies from the garden, for her mother to take home.

I suppose it may be wise to start locking up the shop, even for brief trips away. Makes me wonder and think hard, also, for when the nephews and kids come to visit. No telling what kind of accident or incident may occur, to anyone.

I have NEVER had an accident or incident in my shops, until today. It's very sobering.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 9:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I hope to never have that experience. While I can not lock my shop (It
is also called my garage) I never leave the shop with out unplugging all
equipment, because there are little boys in the family.

At this time I have to plug the saw into an ceiling outlet as that is
the only one large enough to handle the saw.

I will consider how I do things after reading about your maid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Holy Cow Sonny! As I was reading this I kept looking for a puch line
thinking this had to be a set up to a joke or a story. I was a paramedic
for a lot of years and I'm quite used to some really gruesome stuff, but
this goes beyond that. Unreal. That'll take some getting used to for you.
Man...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 8:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I hope you are not held responsible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I cannot believe it!
Never heard of such a thing.....
my word....sobering.....
john

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:43:06 -0500, knuttle
wrote:

[...]

Good idea to have a master lockout switch for the shop. If you are
not working, all equipment power is off. Low voltage remote control
for safety shut-down. Requires key to turn power back on. In case of
power outage, you need the key to turn it back on. Each machine with
contacter switch for the same reason.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 9:53 PM, jloomis wrote:
I cannot believe it!
Never heard of such a thing.....
my word....sobering.....
john

"Sonny" wrote in message

[snip]

I have NEVER had an accident or incident in my shops, until today. It's
very sobering.

Sonny

Sonny,

Take heart in the fact that the maid will do what the maid will do
regardless of what you do to prevent it.

What of her mother who, obviously, knew of the prior attempt. She let
her daughter loose upon you to...

I'm retired LE and people do stupid things for stupid reasons and there
is simply no way you'll ever stop them ALL.

A person seeking a permanent solution to a temporary problem cannot be
reasoned with. At best you'll slow them down and test the limits of
their ingenuity.

I recall a burn out we dealt with as a "frequent flyer." His life
"ruined" by drugs he was unable to cope and attempts by family, et al.
to get him help were insufficient.

Temporary commitments when he'd get to acting out were just that:
Temporary!

His folks removed all guns from the house and turned them over to us for
safekeeping.

Within three weeks he, a contractor when he worked, solved his problems.
He was found in his garage with a Hilti Stud gun in hand and a rather
large fastener in his brain.

We thanked the lord, or whomever, that he had that determination and
ingenuity rather than getting in his car and plowing head on into
another vehicle, a train or bridge abutment thus traumatizing some other
individual.

A pity that your maid did not have the same ingenuity or compassion for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Woooooahhhhh ... that sucks Sonny. Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't
take a hit on insurance .

I hope she recovers well.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Not to sound insensitive or anything, but I would immediately fire this
person and not allow her back on the premises.. And I think it was totally
irresponsible to for her mother to drop her off and not give you a heads up.

And take whatever precautions necessary to see that sort of thing never
occurs again. I have worked in a number of shops that had a master switch
for the shop under lock and key. Figure something out and implement it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'm very sorry to hear what happened. Sorry, I am at a loss for
words. It took me 30 minutes to finish this reply, but I would work on
it for 24 hours and 30 minutes if I could undo what happened..

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/11/2014 08:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sonny, I'm sorry that you were dragged into her mental illness, maybe
she will get the help she needs.

I wouldn't worry to much about doing something to prevent such things,
if it hadn't been the table saw it would have been something else.

The knives in the kitchen, shotgun in closet, that spare can of gas...
always a way, you can't out clever a crazy person.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 7:36 AM, basilisk wrote:
On 01/11/2014 08:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Sonny

Sonny, I'm sorry that you were dragged into her mental illness, maybe
she will get the help she needs.

I wouldn't worry to much about doing something to prevent such things,
if it hadn't been the table saw it would have been something else.

The knives in the kitchen, shotgun in closet, that spare can of gas...
always a way, you can't out clever a crazy person.

basilisk

I agree with the above. Our society has decided that by things or laws
they can prevent bad thing from happening. It is not going to happen.
The only thing the thing and laws do is to prevent efficient operation
of the system.

If you do not believe that consider suicide. Most states and
communities have laws that in essential make suicide illegal. Has it
prevented suicide? No suicide continues at past rates.

This country has been fighting poverty for 50 years, Has it prevented
poverty. No Poverty is higher to day than it was when the program was
started.

Global warming is another example. There are those who think if it is
happening it is our fault and we need to do something to prevented.

In each of the above cases, there is no way we can change the
conditions, but throwing money at is is not the answer. May be we
should reconsider what was put in to the law by the US Congress which
consisted of the men who wrote the Constitution.

"Northwest Ordinance: "Religion, morality and knowledge, being necessary
to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means
of education shall forever be encouraged" approved by US CONGRESS July
13,1787 of which 41 member helped write the Constitution which was
approved September 17, 1787 ."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks All, for the support.

I almost didn't post of this incident, but decided it may be an element for giving you a heads up regarding your shop's safety, precautions and concerns, even for the most extreme of circumstance. In cases as this, most folks are at a loss for words and actions, hence, to some extent, is an aspect of trauma induced shock, even for bystanders.

The trauma, itself, at the time, didn't affect me, having 27 yrs of orthopedic experience. In this profession, one learns to desensitize oneself, in order to keep a cool head, i.e., not be affected by "bystander shock", as morbid and/or uncaring as this may sound. Not being affected by the trauma actually helps me/one overcome any bystander shock and be able to medically assist effectively and properly, in such cases.

The injury isn't immediately life threatening and subsequent treatment, I expect, is well taken care of. A subsequent threat to life would be infection or the like.

Future "repercussions" may arise. I am expecting more requests, by the family, for details of the circumstances leading to and of the incident, iteslf, other than the initial "for the medical history" aspect of the incident, itself. Just how indepth "further inquiries" evolve, if persued, remain to be seen. So for, I haven't heard of any such talk or off-handed comments about further inquires, etc.

The saw that was used was not the table saw, but the Delta Sawbuck, a portable circular saw setup, with stand/table, somewhat similar to a RAS. It is set up for trim cutting, for the cabinets I was working on. I often use this saw outdoors, since there is more space to maneuver and no dust collection attached. Other than the table saw and a regular circular saw, this is my most used saw, very versatile.

I'll re-evaluate the shop scenario, in general, but I'll not likely alter too much. I'll certainly be more vigilent, about safety, when visitors and relatives come visit, maybe even implement some new rules. I do have a main breaker for the shop and will look into how easy it is, will be, to shut down the shop, when not there.

I hope you all learn from this experience, also, especially for when your dear ones are visiting you.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 7:34 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 1/12/2014 7:36 AM, basilisk wrote:
On 01/11/2014 08:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Sonny

Sonny, I'm sorry that you were dragged into her mental illness, maybe
she will get the help she needs.

I wouldn't worry to much about doing something to prevent such things,
if it hadn't been the table saw it would have been something else.

The knives in the kitchen, shotgun in closet, that spare can of gas...
always a way, you can't out clever a crazy person.

basilisk

I agree with the above. Our society has decided that by things or laws
they can prevent bad thing from happening. It is not going to happen.
The only thing the thing and laws do is to prevent efficient operation
of the system.

Precisely and exactly why out lawing guns is not going to stop violence.

If you do not believe that consider suicide. Most states and
communities have laws that in essential make suicide illegal. Has it
prevented suicide? No suicide continues at past rates.

This country has been fighting poverty for 50 years, Has it prevented
poverty. No Poverty is higher to day than it was when the program was
started.

The program is working exactly as those that implemented it wanted it to
work. It is a total success.
The problem with the program is it was sold as a help to those in
poverty. It's intent and "by function" result was to make those in
poverty dependent on the government. A majority of those being
supported by the government are taught to depend on the government for
support. Thus poverty grows and the voter base for those in government
wanting to do more for the ill educated.

It's the whole give the man a fish and feed him for a day scenario.

Global warming is another example. There are those who think if it is
happening it is our fault and we need to do something to prevented.

Follow the money.

In each of the above cases, there is no way we can change the
conditions, but throwing money at is is not the answer. May be we
should reconsider what was put in to the law by the US Congress which
consisted of the men who wrote the Constitution.

"Northwest Ordinance: "Religion, morality and knowledge, being necessary
to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means
of education shall forever be encouraged" approved by US CONGRESS July
13,1787 of which 41 member helped write the Constitution which was
approved September 17, 1787 ."

Agreed. Actions which were once considered immoral a few decades ago
now have laws protecting those actions, and with morals being tossed
out the window too goes our future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 9:43 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Good luck with all that this brings and hopefully you will not be
dragged into this further.

So thinking more about shop safety for those that may wander i, during
your absence, what if a shop was wired through a central circuit, one
that was controlled by a proximity switch/key.

I'm thinking the type used on my wife's car. You only have to have the
key fob on your person for the switches on the vehicle to operate. Walk
out of range with the key fob and the engine cannot be started, the
doors cannot be unlocked, the radio cannot be turned on....

Basically the shop equipment cannot be turned on unless you and your key
fob are in the shop too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 10:08 AM, Leon wrote:

So thinking more about shop safety for those that may wander i, during
your absence, what if a shop was wired through a central circuit, one
that was controlled by a proximity switch/key.

I'm thinking the type used on my wife's car. You only have to have the
key fob on your person for the switches on the vehicle to operate. Walk
out of range with the key fob and the engine cannot be started, the
doors cannot be unlocked, the radio cannot be turned on....

Basically the shop equipment cannot be turned on unless you and your key
fob are in the shop too.

Alas, it's a well known fact that the more you try to "idiot-proof"
something, Mother Nature just comes along with a more adept idiotg

While yours is a nice idea, I suspect it might tend to be bit complex
and expensive for the average wood butcher.

Then, too, when you think of all the various styles, sizes, etc. of
"shops" it's probably better not to generalize you solution other than
to say: Insure that the equipment is inoperable when it's unguarded (by
your presence).

Dedicated shop with a door? Secure means of locking the shop when not
in use.

Shop set up with power tools in the garage, an area shared by the whole
family? Locks on power cables, lockout on the branch circuit powering
same, etc.

Proximity switching, while "neat", is IMHO unnecessary in 99% of the
cases. I'm not that lazy that I cannot lock a door or kill the power to
equipment in a shop that I might use once a week. Nor, for that matter,
am I concerned that some time during the day that I AM using the
equipment/shop that when I go into the house to take a whiz that
somebody is going to run into the shop behind my back the moment I leave
and wreak havoc with those evil toolsg

As alluded to earlier, YMMV. If you have small kids running around or a
mentally unstable maid, you need something different than I do or what
suits your neighbor's particular situation.

All you need is simple common sense and an understanding that you cannot
prevent everything bad that can happen - only make it difficult.

Darwin will, in the end, prevail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:43:06 -0500, knuttle wrote:

I hope to never have that experience. While I can not lock my shop (It
is also called my garage) I never leave the shop with out unplugging all
equipment, because there are little boys in the family.

Same here. In fact I tend to leave all tools unplugged except when I'm
using them. No kids, just a wife and my own clumsy self.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 10:08 AM, Leon wrote:

So thinking more about shop safety for those that may wander i, during
your absence, what if a shop was wired through a central circuit, one
that was controlled by a proximity switch/key.

I'm thinking the type used on my wife's car. You only have to have the
key fob on your person for the switches on the vehicle to operate. Walk
out of range with the key fob and the engine cannot be started, the
doors cannot be unlocked, the radio cannot be turned on....

Basically the shop equipment cannot be turned on unless you and your key
fob are in the shop too.

Alas, it's a well known fact that the more you try to "idiot-proof"
something, Mother Nature just comes along with a more adept idiotg

this is true.

While yours is a nice idea, I suspect it might tend to be bit complex
and expensive for the average wood butcher.

Probably expensive now, I don't think it exists for this type
application. But I don't think it would be complex, I only has to be a
single switch before the shop circuit.

[...]

Although there is a guy whose maid did just that.

As alluded to earlier, YMMV. If you have small kids running around or a
mentally unstable maid, you need something different than I do or what
suits your neighbor's particular situation.

All you need is simple common sense and an understanding that you cannot
prevent everything bad that can happen - only make it difficult.

Darwin will, in the end, prevail.

Exactly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2014 9:43 AM, Sonny wrote:
Thanks All, for the support.

I hope you all learn from this experience, also, especially for when your dear ones are visiting you.

Do not want to comment other than to say that the best possible thing
you can is to cease and desist any further _online_ comment on this
issue immediately!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 1/12/2014 9:43 AM, Sonny wrote:
Thanks All, for the support.

I hope you all learn from this experience, also, especially for when
your dear ones are visiting you.

Do not want to comment other than to say that the best possible thing
you can is to cease and desist any further _online_ comment on this
issue immediately!

Echo that. Anything you say...

--

-Mike-