Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Unbelieveable Day!

Thanks All, for the support.

I almost didn't post of this incident, but decided it may be an element for giving you a heads up regarding your shop's safety, precautions and concerns, even for the most extreme of circumstance. In cases as this, most folks are at a loss for words and actions, hence, to some extent, is an aspect of trauma induced shock, even for bystanders.

The trauma, itself, at the time, didn't affect me, having 27 yrs of orthopedic experience. In this profession, one learns to desensitize oneself, in order to keep a cool head, i.e., not be affected by "bystander shock", as morbid and/or uncaring as this may sound. Not being affected by the trauma actually helps me/one overcome any bystander shock and be able to medically assist effectively and properly, in such cases.

The injury isn't immediately life threatening and subsequent treatment, I expect, is well taken care of. A subsequent threat to life would be infection or the like.

Future "repercussions" may arise. I am expecting more requests, by the family, for details of the circumstances leading to and of the incident, iteslf, other than the initial "for the medical history" aspect of the incident, itself. Just how indepth "further inquiries" evolve, if persued, remain to be seen. So for, I haven't heard of any such talk or off-handed comments about further inquires, etc.

The saw that was used was not the table saw, but the Delta Sawbuck, a portable circular saw setup, with stand/table, somewhat similar to a RAS. It is set up for trim cutting, for the cabinets I was working on. I often use this saw outdoors, since there is more space to maneuver and no dust collection attached. Other than the table saw and a regular circular saw, this is my most used saw, very versatile.

I'll re-evaluate the shop scenario, in general, but I'll not likely alter too much. I'll certainly be more vigilent, about safety, when visitors and relatives come visit, maybe even implement some new rules. I do have a main breaker for the shop and will look into how easy it is, will be, to shut down the shop, when not there.

I hope you all learn from this experience, also, especially for when your dear ones are visiting you.

Sonny