Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Actual Woodworking

I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

One of 4 lower side panels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11864320296/

The panel glue up for the raised panel doors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863780993/

The raised panel door dry fit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863922504/

The fit inside the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863787413/

And the outside of the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863790753/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

You take Most-Excellent pictures, Leon! : )

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

One of 4 lower side panels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11864320296/

The panel glue up for the raised panel doors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863780993/

The raised panel door dry fit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863922504/

The fit inside the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863787413/

And the outside of the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863790753/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... so my only question is where in the hell did you get all
those clamps?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... so my only question is where in the hell did you
get all those clamps?

-------------------------------------
Probably at the Ye Old Clamp Store.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2014 9:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... so my only question is where in the hell did you get all
those clamps?

Right over there, off of my clamp rack. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:16:30 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
One of 4 lower side panels
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11864320296/

Really nice grain on those panels. Will be very nice looking units.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:16:30 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

Looking good!

Asking everyone....
Is there a preference, these days, for the type of glass, plate or tempered, to be used in such cabinets? I know there are code requirements in/for home construction, but recently I've wondered about considerations or preferences for such cabinets.

I have some small bathroom corner cabinets in the works and I was thinking to use tempered glass, though it isn't required (to my knowledge).

Somewhat related: I'm aware there are cabinet glass doors (no wooden frame) that are tempered. Is this a requirement or a practical preference? *Understanding differnet locales having different requirements.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 03:28:17 -0800 (PST), Sonny
Is there a preference, these days, for the type of glass, plate or
tempered, to be used in such cabinets? I know there are code
requirements in/for home construction, but recently I've wondered
about considerations or preferences for such cabinets.

Depends on what you're building and/or where the glass is going to be
used. For cabinet work such as entertainment centers, I have a
preference for 3/8" acrylic, usually a darkened colour. It's much
lighter than glass and easier to work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2014 5:28 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:16:30 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

Looking good!

Asking everyone....
Is there a preference, these days, for the type of glass, plate or tempered, to be used in such cabinets? I know there are code requirements in/for home construction, but recently I've wondered about considerations or preferences for such cabinets.

I have some small bathroom corner cabinets in the works and I was thinking to use tempered glass, though it isn't required (to my knowledge).

Somewhat related: I'm aware there are cabinet glass doors (no wooden frame) that are tempered. Is this a requirement or a practical preference? *Understanding differnet locales having different requirements.

Sonny

Thank you

The glass except for the mirror on the back side will be tempered, about
$20 more per piece of glass in this situation. IIRC the 1/4" thick
glass shelves will not be.

Basically it is a good choice if there will be any chance of kids or
pets coming in contact withe the glass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

Leon, It appears that you will rabbet the base pieces (or that you
"effectively" rabbeted them by attaching "ledges" that run their length,
and I'm sure you used corner bracing.
I was thinking if you used ledges, then it would be easier to
reinforce--with say "+"-shaped bracing with an overlapping joint in the
middle, or maybe even better, a "X"-shaped bracing with an overlapping
joint in the middle. Am I close, or would it be better for me to wait
for the picture (providing you are willing to share that information)?

Bill

One of 4 lower side panels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11864320296/

The panel glue up for the raised panel doors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863780993/

The raised panel door dry fit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863922504/

The fit inside the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863787413/

And the outside of the dry fit lower cabinet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863790753/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2014 9:52 AM, jloomis wrote:
Great pictures of a nice piece.

appreciate the accuracy, the sharp lines, oh, and the clean shop.....
wow.
john

Well, Thank you, and thank you, John!

I religiously use my dust collector and sweep up at the end of each day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2014 2:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

Leon, It appears that you will rabbet the base pieces (or that you
"effectively" rabbeted them by attaching "ledges" that run their length,
and I'm sure you used corner bracing.
I was thinking if you used ledges, then it would be easier to
reinforce--with say "+"-shaped bracing with an overlapping joint in the
middle, or maybe even better, a "X"-shaped bracing with an overlapping
joint in the middle. Am I close, or would it be better for me to wait
for the picture (providing you are willing to share that information)?

Bill

Ok, yes, the front/back face frames and side panels will be joined by a
rabbet joint running along the length of the front and back face frames
sides.

The square assembled unit will be held square and reinforced by the
dadoed in 3/4" thick plywood bottom. Each side has a dado in the bottom
rails to accept the bottom panel.

Often a picture is worth a thousand words.

This shot shows the dados at the bottom of the front/back face frames
and the rabbet on the side edges. Clocked 90 degrees in the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The first, back face frame, in the picture shows the inside side of the
back face frame. The next face frame, in line, is the outside side of
the back face frame. Notice that I used lap joints to form a recess for
the back panel to fit into. these joints are reinforced with 5mm Dominoes.

The next two face frames are the front face frames. Nothing special
with the joinery on those except that they are butt joints reinforced by
Dominoes.

The backs of the side panels, dry fit before inserting the panels and
glue up.

Now if you noticed that none of the face frames and or side panels
bottom rail dado's go through the side stiles, I later completed the
dado's on both ends on all face frames and side panels. I cooked up a
unique way to cut those out accurately, cleanly, and quite quickly.
I could have cut the dado's in the stiles before assembly but alignment
would have had to be perfect. Cutting them after glue up insures
perfect alignment.

Here is a shot of the completed dado's that the bottom will fit into.
I have also applied the first coat of varnish to the inside sides before
assembly. This really makes varnishing the inside of the cabinet easier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11888682455/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oops!

The backs of the side panels, dry fit before inserting the panels and
glue up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2014 8:16 PM, Leon wrote:

The glue up and a few clamps. If i had roome I would have used more
clamps. ;~) 22 clamps counting the spring clamps to hold the cauls in
place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/10/2014 2:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

Leon, It appears that you will ... snip Am I close, or would it
be better for me to wait
for the picture (providing you are willing to share that information)?

Bill

Ok, yes, the front/back face frames and side panels will be joined by
a rabbet joint running along the length of the front and back face
frames sides.

Probably SOP to you, quite "clever" to me!

The square assembled unit will be held square and reinforced by the
dadoed in 3/4" thick plywood bottom. Each side has a dado in the
bottom rails to accept the bottom panel.

Nice (and efficient) way to help get structural integrity.

[...]

Thank you very much for providing a lesson! I don't think Michael
Fortune could do any better. I'm always impressed when I see wonderful
techniques, and maybe I shouldn't be so surprised when they are
revealed, but that keeps me coming back for more!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default and Now Out of the clamps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

Leon... Looked at all the photos. What do you do in your spare time??? WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

Nice as always.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/11/2014 05:34 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

looks nice, my first thought when looking at the subject was
"dang need to run to the store for more clamps"

I am always out of clamps.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 6:01 PM, WW wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

Leon... Looked at all the photos. What do you do in your spare time??? WW

Honey do's
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 7:00 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/11/2014 6:34 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

Nice as always.

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 7:07 PM, basilisk wrote:
On 01/11/2014 05:34 PM, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11896092103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11895780955/

looks nice, my first thought when looking at the subject was
"dang need to run to the store for more clamps"

I am always out of clamps.

basilisk

LOL, I think I have hit the sweet spot on clamps quantity. Now I would
like to work on more shorter ones so that I don't have to use a 50"
clamp when 12" is needed.