Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

I accomplished the first two 'honeydos' using the hydraulic cart.
Pulled an overgrown plant out by it's roots and popped a vestigal
fence post out of the ground. The cart makes it *so* much easier.
It was kind of weird to see that fence post raise up 'by itself'
with no effort on my part.
The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am doing nothing, relaxing after fixing the Quincy compressor and
setting up better compressed air system. Going to bed early etc. Will
soon list a bunch of stuff on ebay.

This weekend I did some welding on a toddler tricycle, whose pedals
started spinning in the front wheel hub. So I just welded the pedal
axle to the hub.

Also made a toy railroad bridge for kids. You saw the picture.

But nothing right now. Time to go to bed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:52:20 -0600, SteveB wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to
stabilize the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I
got with my used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make
window awnings, and getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

I rebuilt my kid's bed Sunday and yesterday. The original plan was to
have both boys in one room on a bunk bed, and the second room as a
playroom/guest bedroom. That didn't survive the first few bedtimes, so
#2 son got the playroom -- and broke up the folding couch/bed.

So I had to splice in some tubing that was totally broken, and straighten
and reinforce the other side that hadn't gotten quite so far.

He was so thrilled that it was back together, I think he may even refrain
from jumping on it.

Aside from that I have a massive shortage of round tuits. I have a gate
project that's waiting for enough backs to get healthy so I can flip it
over and do the other side, and I've got a Cox .15 cylinder to machine
(yes, still).

But the model airplane (with only bent wire for metalwork) is coming
along nicely.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Depends on whether actual competence is required for metalwork.

I'm replacing the timing belt on my wife's '00 Intrepid, which
requires removing the vibration damper. There's a special service
tool for holding the damper in place while loosening the crankshaft
bolt. Last time I used an old serpentine belt and a clamp instead of
the tool, but this time I got ambitious....

Building a vibration damper holder requires cutting a six inch steel
disk. So, I finished building a circle guide for my sabre today. The
"universal" circle guide at Lowe's turned out to not be universal
enough.

Unwinding the recursion, tomorrow I see if the circle guide will
really help me cut a circle....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I welded up some ANGLE IRON side rails on my old flatbed trailer.

We are moving out to the lake and it has proven a lot more usable
with the sides on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on the
end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac - it
puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in 1936 and no one I've
contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks like either a roll mill or
hammer mill job to me - no this is not a hinge with a pin, it is a typical
interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 25, 3:52 pm, cavelamb himself
wrote:
SteveB wrote:
What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear

the jaybirds.

Steve

I welded up some ANGLE IRON side rails on my old flatbed trailer.

Hah! - thats nothing.......as well as my usual one full day at school
where I am learning fitting and turning, I rebuilt the engine in my
Pitts special, and started on making a new airframe of my own design.
Mind you, I had to invent the welding technology to do so and thus
didn't do as much as I had hoped. But it will have other uses so I
don't begrudge the time. Made a new micrometer as the one I had would
fit around a particular casting (from my own foundry) that I was
turning to size - no CNC, "Real Metalworkers" do it through sheer
craftsmanship.

Oh, yes - and World Peace - making progress towards that, but as its
Political OT, I cant reveal any details. Just stand by for the
mainstream media announcements in the next few days.

And the week has 2 days to go - wonder what I will do tomorrow...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on the
end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac - it
puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in 1936 and no one I've
contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks like either a roll mill or
hammer mill job to me - no this is not a hinge with a pin, it is a typical
interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Gonna need to see some graphics on this one!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings,
and getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

Well, in Art Welding class, I am doing a Box sculpture sort of Bruce Beasley
style. Took the wifes S10 Blazer to the do it yourself wash and washed off
all the places with oil drips to look for the leak so I can sell it. And
pulled apart the pull timer, to see why the cleaner is failing to function
and tried a new timer I bought. New timer has a bad motor, old timer has a
weak motor that will not drive it hard enough to flip the switch to off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Steve

I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on
the end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac -
it puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in 1936 and no one
I've contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks like either a roll
mill or hammer mill job to me - no this is not a hinge with a pin, it is a
typical interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Cad Coupe? Boss of mine in high school had one of the 2 1936 Cad coupes in
the SF Bay area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Aligned a turret, replaced bearings in an abrasive saw, built a steel cabinet to fit test
masters, put a remote handle and trigger on a roofing stapler, ...

I still have snow on the ground.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

Re the implant. I am (not) looking forward to a "pacemaker" sometime
in the next few years. I understand that is not what you have but was
your research in any way relevant to pacemakers. Sure would hate to
strike an arc and have my heart stop :-(

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you
can't hear
the jaybirds

Just made a new barrel vise for a friend who's building a new .223 on a
custom action. It's to press the barrel into the receiver.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message I''m still searching
all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on the
end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac - it
puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in 1936 and no one I've
contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks like either a roll mill
or hammer mill job to me - no this is not a hinge with a pin, it is a
typical interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Yes. Call my dad. He rolled his out on the Pexto machine and still has the
dies.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on
the end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac -

Here's Dad's
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0971.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0994.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 24, 11:52*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. *I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. *I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? *So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Damn, I'm a total lightweight.

All I did was braze a bit of material onto the turnsignal supports for
my dual-sport bike.

The turnsig is rubber-mounted with a pin in a hole allowing some
mobility- so many rough miles offroad wore the hole and pin to an
amazing degree.
The holes were very worn, the pins were worn almost 1/4 of the way
through.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

My CNC plasma project is near completion, just waiting for a few last
parts. I just visited a new metal supplier in the area (new to me, not
the area) and after drooling on the toys in their shop (such as a
horizontal bandsaw you could just about drive a car into) I picked up
some materials for some other projects on my drawing board at pretty
decent prices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:30:23 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

Don (double entendre intentional) a suit of grounded chainmail and GO
FOR IT!

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Last night I made a couple of inserts and did some machining on some
suspension parts for a 'vintage' bike. The inserts were made to allow a
crude external adjustment to low speed compression damping on a set of
forks which originally had no adjustment.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005) Kingdom of Fear
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount

in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG

welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor

I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make

window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going

on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I've been doing some cylinder sleeve jobs for snowmobile
engines lately.
Does that count?
phil

Lately, I've been putting fine 60 degree points on 1/4 in. carbide threading tools. This done with
the AccuFinish diamond sharpening system by Glendo (US made just across the river from KCMO) With
AccuFinish1200 grit diamond you can get a 60 degree point that is is invisible to the naked eye
looking straight in at the tip. Proof of the pudding done with my Sherline lathe threading
attachment. Various pitches cut on 1/16 in. drill rod turned down to requisite diameter. Ultimate
goal is to make some small taps and dies. I practiced cutting a lot of 0-80s and 00-90s. The
finest Ilve done so far is a 00-350. That is 350 tpi on 0.034 diameter. Don't ask.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not doing metalwork because I can't figure out how to lay out the
!!@@##@!@! sheet metal pattern. Trying to do a double offset (both
directions) in an 8"x12" duct. But once I get the pattern, the
metalworking should be interesting: It requires a Pittsburgh lock on a
compound curve.

SteveB wrote:
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

Don (double entendre intentional) a suit of grounded chainmail and GO
FOR IT!

That would work. Don't have any chainmail in the closet, maybe a
form-fitting grounded shield made of thin copper. It's just a matter
of getting around to it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes. My study concerned fields which are relevant to pacemakers as
well as cardioverters.

Pacemakers and cardioverters seem to be rated to withstand AC B-field
of 1 gauss and AC E-field of 1 kilovolt/meter. These ratings are
probably quite conservative.

I found that E-field was not an issue in my shop with MIG (GMAW) and
it wouldn't be with stick (SMAW) either. It can be with TIG (GTAW)
using HF HV start.

I found the B-field in my situation to be well below 1 gauss at
currents up to about 180 amps. A key parameter is how the leads are
arranged. To minimize magnetic field the ground lead and "stinger"
lead should be close together, even twisted, as much as possible. You
want to avoid loops in the stinger lead, particularly close to your
body and particularly in a plane where the axis of the loop goes thru
your body.

I don't know what would happen if fields from a welder (or anything
else) did interfere with operation of your pacemaker. That question
would be best dealt with by your electrophysiologist. I did find the
folks at Boston Scientific incredibly helpful. 1-800-CARDIAC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Still getting Calliopus Minimus ready for 'prime time'; i.e. I'll
be showing it off at the upcoming Makers Faire in San Mateo, CA. Working on
tidy method of mounting electronics. Trying to figure out who makes a
portable air compressor that isn't louder than my calliope!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Its cheaper to just have a photo of a good looking naked woman in front of
you. It doesn't matter if the pacemaker stops, your heart will take care of
itself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Still getting Calliopus Minimus ready for 'prime time'; i.e. I'll
be showing it off at the upcoming Makers Faire in San Mateo, CA. Working
on
tidy method of mounting electronics. Trying to figure out who makes a
portable air compressor that isn't louder than my calliope!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Getting an education on lousy machining by using an optical comparator to
look at and measure the fillet radiuses on a transmission shaft. Also
learned to calculate the resultant stress concentration factors. Also
learned that in some cases the Machinist was not the culprit. He did what
the designer said via the drawings. Also Qualtiy Control, or lack thereof,
let some dangerous botched machine operations slip thru. There are some
good reasons for having time life limits on parts used in critical
mechanical components.
I'm searching for anyone who understands not just how, but also the why of
the "4 pass graphic single plane balancing method". I'm surprised by the
number of people who know how to use it but not the why the various parts
are done.
Finished construction of my steel racks for the storing of a bunch of steel
angle, strap and tubes that I picked up for a song at a yard sale. Won't
need to go to the steel supplier for a while.

Stu Fields

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Been working rather furiously on a turned five
part enclosure for an electronic instrument I'm
designing. Got a proof of concept unit and a
3d modeled proto turned on my Jet lathe and had
a real machinist make me 4 more preproduction
units. Played around with Alodining the parts
and painting them with bake-on phenolic resin
paint.

Right now I have to work on finalizing the cad
dwgs into a bid package and send it out. Anyone
out there have a CNC lathe and want to bid?

Took time out Saturday to go to the Bay Area Model
Engine club meeting...

http://baemclub.com/

Every time I want to get inspired to do good
machining, I see what those guys are up to.

Looking at some old sheet metal designs that can
be redesigned in 3D CAD and simplified.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25 Mar 2009 16:50:48 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Still getting Calliopus Minimus ready for 'prime time'; i.e. I'll
be showing it off at the upcoming Makers Faire in San Mateo, CA. Working on
tidy method of mounting electronics. Trying to figure out who makes a
portable air compressor that isn't louder than my calliope!

Get one that's big enough, then make a sound-proofing box around it.
3/4" plywood, acoustic tile lining, and leave a labyrinth at both ends
for cool air in and warm air out. And a box fan to ensure flow. And
then park it outside and bring a few hundred feet of 3/4" air hose,
because you can /still/ only muffle the sound so much.

An accumulator tank inside*right* before the calliope too. You need
to recreate the big wind chest right below the pipes in a pipe organ.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings,
and getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear the jaybirds.

Well, may latest project has been to mill some commemorative coins out of
aluminum for an upcoming fishig event. I got mos tof it figured out, but I
have two problems. Cutting the coins out of the sheet withoutbreaking
cutters as it comes loose. Actually if I place a poker chip on top of the
coin and press down firmly with one hand and then the other (as the table
circles) I can get it to cut out ok, but I would like to be able to do it
unattended. Then my next problem is securing the coins to surface and
pocket the other side. So far I have been doing it by placing them in a
milled pocket in a block of wood, and then shooting washerhead screws in at
trhree points, but then I can not completely mill surface that side of the
coin.

Yesterday I ran into an issue with a low security access control gate. The
metal post and resin plug in the concrete has lifted up about a half inch
over the last ten years on one side. This caused the bolt to not always
positively engage the strike and lock up properly. After studying on the
problem for a while I went to HF and bought a porta power unit and a mini
ram. Then I didn't use the mini ram. The power wedge that came with the
pump was strong enough. I put it between the top cross bar and the free
side of the gate and bent the gate down. All is wonderful and when the gate
closes it locks again.

Thats about all the metal working I have done in the last 24 hours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would metal window screen work? Make a denim/screen/denim sandwich and
then sew up a jacket. I have a freind with an upholstry business that
would do this very cheap if I tell her its for a freind.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

Cutting the coins out of the sheet withoutbreaking
cutters as it comes loose. Actually if I place a poker chip on top

of
the coin and press down firmly with one hand and then the other (as
the table circles) I can get it to cut out ok, but I would like to

be
able to do it unattended. Then my next problem is securing the
coins to surface and pocket the other side.

Adhere them to a waste sheet with an epoxy that will decompose at
about 400F. Or use silicone RTV, and soak them in xylene for a while
to release them.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Well there is two threads that if you marked ignore would kill 800 posts.

Outside of Cliffh and TMT, most of the people that post often not only have a point of
view but know what they speak of. Not to single them out but JC and EH are a valuable
resource. Gunner also has answered a number of metalworking questions and helped to
connect various members of this usenet group with items they seeked.

Kill file the cross posters that get linked from the troll posts, mark ignore the threads
that have devolved and your view of rcm will be will be though a fairly clean window.

I did touch my lathe (Clausing 6903) http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html
Cold as a witches tit. Felt good to touch the girl. Someday the grass will be green and
the snow will be gone.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

If MIG doesn't bother it, then TIG shouldn't, either. The electric
field from the HF won't penetrate the body, as you are essentially a bag
of salt water. The magnetic field of the main arc and cables does
penetrate, but you have already shown that is not a problem. TIG
generally has a pretty steady current on DC, but of course pulses on AC.
MIG is just pulsing continuously as each bit of filler wire explodes.
So, if a high-current MIG doesn't bother the gadget, I wouldn't expect
much different.

I'd keep the TIG electrode and cable away from the chest area, but you
probably already do that. I did manage to let a filler wire touch my
shoulder once, and was surprised at how little of a bite it had. The
sparks in the Argon shield gas look totally awesome, like a little
plasma globe, so I expected it would have much more of a jolt.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:02:10 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

So just machine up a chain-mail-making-machine tomorrow morning, wot?
Be sure to ground the arms together to avoid any nasty loops.

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding
danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-- Helen Keller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Hi Steve, I bit the bullet and bought a cheap stick/TIG welder/plasma
cutter and am learning to weld. Well...that may be an exaggeration.
I'm learning to make very bad seams, that's what I'm doing.

Also bought nomex coveralls to wear while welding. Only partly for
fire safety. When I bought a VW bus many years ago, my friend Jeff
gave me a pair of coveralls and insisted that I wear them while
working on the bus. It seems that a pair of dirty coveralls
intimidates the vehicle into thinking that a proper mechanic is
working on it. I'm using the same kind of logic to improve the welds.

It's not working...

Best -- Terry