Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Actual Woodworking

On 1/10/2014 2:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

What they should look like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11863453395/

Leon, It appears that you will rabbet the base pieces (or that you
"effectively" rabbeted them by attaching "ledges" that run their length,
and I'm sure you used corner bracing.
I was thinking if you used ledges, then it would be easier to
reinforce--with say "+"-shaped bracing with an overlapping joint in the
middle, or maybe even better, a "X"-shaped bracing with an overlapping
joint in the middle. Am I close, or would it be better for me to wait
for the picture (providing you are willing to share that information)?

Bill

Ok, yes, the front/back face frames and side panels will be joined by a
rabbet joint running along the length of the front and back face frames
sides.

The square assembled unit will be held square and reinforced by the
dadoed in 3/4" thick plywood bottom. Each side has a dado in the bottom
rails to accept the bottom panel.

Often a picture is worth a thousand words.

This shot shows the dados at the bottom of the front/back face frames
and the rabbet on the side edges. Clocked 90 degrees in the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The first, back face frame, in the picture shows the inside side of the
back face frame. The next face frame, in line, is the outside side of
the back face frame. Notice that I used lap joints to form a recess for
the back panel to fit into. these joints are reinforced with 5mm Dominoes.

The next two face frames are the front face frames. Nothing special
with the joinery on those except that they are butt joints reinforced by
Dominoes.

The backs of the side panels, dry fit before inserting the panels and
glue up.

Now if you noticed that none of the face frames and or side panels
bottom rail dado's go through the side stiles, I later completed the
dado's on both ends on all face frames and side panels. I cooked up a
unique way to cut those out accurately, cleanly, and quite quickly.
I could have cut the dado's in the stiles before assembly but alignment
would have had to be perfect. Cutting them after glue up insures
perfect alignment.

Here is a shot of the completed dado's that the bottom will fit into.
I have also applied the first coat of varnish to the inside sides before
assembly. This really makes varnishing the inside of the cabinet easier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11888682455/