Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Actual Woodworking

On 1/10/2014 5:28 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:16:30 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
I have started a job for a customer, 2 walnut curio cabinets.

Looking good!

Asking everyone....
Is there a preference, these days, for the type of glass, plate or tempered, to be used in such cabinets? I know there are code requirements in/for home construction, but recently I've wondered about considerations or preferences for such cabinets.

I have some small bathroom corner cabinets in the works and I was thinking to use tempered glass, though it isn't required (to my knowledge).

Somewhat related: I'm aware there are cabinet glass doors (no wooden frame) that are tempered. Is this a requirement or a practical preference? *Understanding differnet locales having different requirements.

Sonny

Thank you

The glass except for the mirror on the back side will be tempered, about
$20 more per piece of glass in this situation. IIRC the 1/4" thick
glass shelves will not be.

Basically it is a good choice if there will be any chance of kids or
pets coming in contact withe the glass.