Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mods to K body type blocks

I bought 2 sets of k blocks from woodcraft... but they were not Bessey's
they were woodcraft brand.. one set came with clamps (bessey clamps
branded woodcraft) the other set I bought so I could do more than one
set of doors, or drawers at a time.

They were useless as they were not like the k blocks...
Well, I was really annoyed, and finally I thought about it.. I've had
them years and haven't used them much because of the problem.

I just cut them down to look more like the bessey's on one side..
See this link you'll notice the clamps did not come close to each other.
Now they do... if you were dumb enough (like me) to buy these... this
simple mod makes them useful.. you only need to cut one side to make
them useful.

if you cut a second perpendicular side, you would make them useless.

See: http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2013 1:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I bought 2 sets of k blocks from woodcraft... but they were not Bessey's
they were woodcraft brand.. one set came with clamps (bessey clamps
branded woodcraft) the other set I bought so I could do more than one
set of doors, or drawers at a time.

They were useless as they were not like the k blocks...
Well, I was really annoyed, and finally I thought about it.. I've had
them years and haven't used them much because of the problem.

I just cut them down to look more like the bessey's on one side..
See this link you'll notice the clamps did not come close to each other.
Now they do... if you were dumb enough (like me) to buy these... this
simple mod makes them useful.. you only need to cut one side to make
them useful.

if you cut a second perpendicular side, you would make them useless.

See: http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

I absolutely never saw the point to having the blocks.

I build lots of drawers, 2011 I build 100 drawers.

Anyway just set one pare on your work bench and set your drawer pieces
on top. Then put your other pair of clamps on top of the drawer,
clocked 90 degrees and pointed down. Problem solved.

Now if I pin the corners while all four clamps are in place I can take
the top clamps off and only use the bottom two clamps for holding things
together while the glue dries.

And BTW your are not dumb, you did not have enough information to make
an educated purchase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:23:04 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

I bought 2 sets of k blocks from woodcraft... but they were not Bessey's
they were woodcraft brand.. one set came with clamps (bessey clamps
branded woodcraft) the other set I bought so I could do more than one
set of doors, or drawers at a time.

They were useless as they were not like the k blocks...
Well, I was really annoyed, and finally I thought about it.. I've had
them years and haven't used them much because of the problem.

I just cut them down to look more like the bessey's on one side..
See this link you'll notice the clamps did not come close to each other.
Now they do... if you were dumb enough (like me) to buy these... this
simple mod makes them useful.. you only need to cut one side to make
them useful.

if you cut a second perpendicular side, you would make them useless.

See: http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

Very nicely done.

Looked at you pictures saw a vacuum attachment for you band saw, how did
that work out for your?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2013 5:36 PM, Sea Blues wrote:
[...]

Works great.. I get a full 2 1/4 inch port.. so most of the dust is
pulled in.. not all, but most. Way better than stock.

I had tried at the bottom of the guard cover, but that didn't work well.
So I went back to this.. I was greedy and looking for close to 100%
I think what I have is as good as it gets with a 2 1/4 system.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2013 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I have seen the value. But I bought them a few years ago and saw that
there was a problem long after I bought them. I wanted to get some use
out of them, and finally saw the light.

I build lots of drawers, 2011 I build 100 drawers.

Anyway just set one pare on your work bench and set your drawer pieces
on top. Then put your other pair of clamps on top of the drawer,
clocked 90 degrees and pointed down. Problem solved.

Agreed, that how I have been doing it. But it seems like less fuss to
just drop the drawer in and tighten. Hoping when I am ready to do the
glue ups that it will be easier.

Now if I pin the corners while all four clamps are in place I can take
the top clamps off and only use the bottom two clamps for holding things
together while the glue dries.

And BTW your are not dumb, you did not have enough information to make
an educated purchase.

Ok, but had I checked them out when I bought them instead of letting
them sit for a long, long time I could have returned the extra set...
Anyway, I think this resolves the problem to some extent... I'll get a
chance to try them out the way I had hoped.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2013 7:04 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

The biggest problem I see with them is that they align the clamps into
the corner. You really want the clamps to be off set to apply pressure
on the side and or end, not a combination of the two. And when you
stack the clamps like the blocks require you loose about one additional
inch of clamping surface.

Basically you have to cut your box joints and or dove tails shallow so
that the clamp actually pushes the sides and ends together. You really
want to cut the joints a touch deep. Then you just sand the ends flush
with the sides or ends.

Yes if you over clamp you distort the joint but you really don't have to
squeeze any harder than to close the joint. Additionally if you cut the
bottom to fit precisely the bottoms will help to square every thing up
and aid in preventing distortion.

When I put clamps on top they really are on the upper end/side. I use
the whole clamp surface which includes the area at the bar and below the
bar.

A picture might be worth a thousand words if you would like to see one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2013 12:00 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That's why I modified the blocks because it matters when doing drawers.
the slightest pressure deforms them.
It's not an issue for a door, the rail doesn't really deform.

Putting pressure on the dovetail is no big deal, just a piece of cork is
enough to allow it to imprint in the cork.

When I put clamps on top they really are on the upper end/side. I use
the whole clamp surface which includes the area at the bar and below the
bar.

Again, I do that now... but looking forward to dropping the drawer in..
I can add a nother clamp on top for the one that is lower... after. But
this thing is nice, in testing a dry fitting, it's much easier to square
it up..

A picture might be worth a thousand words if you would like to see one.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2013 4:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Not talking doors, strictly drawers.

Putting pressure on the dovetail is no big deal, just a piece of cork is
enough to allow it to imprint in the cork.

done correctly, you don't need that.

When I put clamps on top they really are on the upper end/side. I use
the whole clamp surface which includes the area at the bar and below the
bar.

Again, I do that now... but looking forward to dropping the drawer in..
I can add a nother clamp on top for the one that is lower... after. But
this thing is nice, in testing a dry fitting, it's much easier to square
it up..

I end up with 2 clamps while the glue is drying, I only use the 4 clamps
to square it then I remove the drawer with the top end clamps and leave
the bottom clamps for all of the remaining drawers. So in your case
once you get the drawer squared with the bottom clamps and add the top
you can remove the drawer, with wet glue, with just the top clamp.

A picture might be worth a thousand words if you would like to see one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:46:33 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Thanks! It looked too much like common sense, if you know what I mean.
I'm going to be giving it a shot.

Kchibo KK-C55 mods JazzyJeff Electronics Repair 0 June 25th 06 11:21 PM
Web TV Mods and Hacks Too_Many_Tools Electronics Repair 7 February 11th 06 04:28 PM
Jet bandsaw mods Mark Howell Woodworking 13 March 3rd 05 03:58 PM
PME system / mods nick smith UK diy 1 August 31st 04 12:33 PM
Concrete blocks: medium density or aerated type? Lobster UK diy 6 June 11th 04 07:14 PM