Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WW Christmas present

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

What's the name of this group?
Why buy them?
Make them!

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:11:11 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Yup. Mine was Meccano. They stopped making it for a long while (I
think) but now it's in the present day technology version.

http://www.meccano.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gave the oldest granddaughter a set for Christmas when she was six. She spent hours building with it. She was sometimes so engrossed in her designing that she didn't notice me on the floor taking pictures at her eye level - I think I hit the bullseye with that gift ;-)

Another year each granddaughter got a kit of kid-sized tools and a birdhouse to build.

Can't guarantee that they'll grow up to be builders/makers, but they have a good start.

wrote:
I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Yes, I liked the errection set.

--
 GW Ross

 I plan on living forever. So far, so
 good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:59:53 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Yes, I liked the errection set.

That came ten years later.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

I always thought Lincoln Logs were boring. We had blocks that used to
be radio crystal cases (about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/4") in WWII. I We
must have had 10,000 of them that my father got from scrap. My
brother built a "model" of the Empire State Building that was about 9'
tall. Great fun.

I had the most fun with the Tinker Toys. I had a bunch of them, too.
I had a small Erector set but they were too expensive. Legos came too
late. Well, they weren't for my son. "Lego my Legos" ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

... Made in China ..
Lee Valley sells a Made in USA version.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/pa...35&cat=4,55972
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"notyoung" wrote in message
Gave the oldest granddaughter a set for Christmas when she was six. She
spent hours building with it. She was sometimes so engrossed in her
designing that she didn't notice me on the floor taking pictures at her
eye level - I think I hit the bullseye with that gift ;-)

Well, let's see the pictures! You can't tease us with a cute description,
then not follow through!
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2013 8:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

I don't know where you live but "Bed Bath and Beyond" had them last
year. I don't know about this year as Thanksgiving is just over and I
have not started Christmas Shopping yet
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was just thinking about these yesterday.
Glad they are still making 'em! ; )
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Gave the oldest granddaughter a set for Christmas when she was six.
She spent hours building with it. She was sometimes so engrossed
in her designing that she didn't notice me on the floor taking pictures
at her eye level - I think I hit the bullseye with that gift ;-)

Another year each granddaughter got a kit of kid-sized tools and a birdhouse to build.
Can't guarantee that they'll grow up to be builders/makers, but they have a good start.

Gifts that bring you together to play - priceless !
regardless of the material outcome
One of our favs - with our kids - was a wooden train set -
(Scandanavian ? ) where the train cars had magnets on each end
and the all-wood track pieces fit together in a round-tongue-hole
... we expanded the set, each year at Christmas - and it all neatly
packed away in a vintage Thrift Store valice ? mini suitcase ..
.... getting everything into the case became a fun game eventually !
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

snipped

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

I always thought Lincoln Logs were boring. We had blocks that used to
be radio crystal cases (about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/4") in WWII. I We
must have had 10,000 of them that my father got from scrap. My
brother built a "model" of the Empire State Building that was about 9'
tall. Great fun.
I had the most fun with the Tinker Toys. I had a bunch of them, too.
I had a small Erector set but they were too expensive. Legos came too
late. Well, they weren't for my son. "Lego my Legos" ;-)

I seem to remember the meccano/erector sets were -
- quite expensive - back in the day..
... then when shopping for my kids - Lego seemed expensive !
... but it was still there, under the tree, at Christmas.

.... but I do get a little peeved at Chinese Lincoln Logs !
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:38:02 -0500, Bill wrote:

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

I remember liking Lincoln Logs at an earlier age, then Tinker Toys, and
then Erector Sets. As I grew I wanted something more difficult.

Now I have a whole woodworking shop. And when I want something more
difficult than that I go play with computers and electronics. My latest
toy is an Arduino Mega micro-controller. The possibilities can be
imagined when you know that people use them in robots :-).

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2013 6:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Nice memories, but $48 (w/shipping) for 86 pieces? You're gonna spend
$200 to get a decent size set!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote in news:529d39c1$1$47840
:

On 12/2/2013 6:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

Nice memories, but $48 (w/shipping) for 86 pieces? You're gonna spend
$200 to get a decent size set!

I wonder how hard it would be to make decent lincoln logs. It doesn't
look hard, but sometimes that's where I get into trouble. :-)

It looks easy enough: Cut a dado in the end of a piece of cedar (I'm
thinking cedar because it's soft and doesn't splinter too bad and I've
got some) and cut into square strips. I guess the trick comes in
removing 1/2 of the board thickness, or just a few thousanths over so the
pieces will interlock.

Octagonal ones can be made either with a router (a 3/4x3/4 strip is kinda
thin) or hand plane (my choice.)

How did the lincoln logs do roofs?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper
I wonder how hard it would be to make decent lincoln logs. It doesn't
look hard, but sometimes that's where I get into trouble. :-)

Figure in the cost of some decent wood that won't warp or split, the
time it will take design the log variations you want, the time to make
each log, at infinitum.

Unless you're going to get a decent amount of pleasure out of making
all these similar type logs *and* you've got a child that will get
pleasure out of using them, you have to wonder if it will just be to
be less aggravating to buy a set.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2013 7:43 AM, willshak wrote:
Bill wrote:

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making
'em! ; )

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6EHFQ/ref=gs_htljs

What's the name of this group?
Why buy them?
Make them!

You reminded me of a time when I was eight yo or so (~1947) and living
in Yankton, SD. My buds and I were heavy into war games (at that age,
war is an adventure, not a do and/or die situation). There was an
abandoned farm behind our house with a barn full of all sorts of neat
stuff including boards of varying size. Building tanks and fighter
planes was easy; a couple of boards nailed together with more nails for
guns and rockets.

I decided I needed an aircraft carrier. A bit more complicated but once
a deck board of sufficient length and width was liberated and nailed to
some hull boards, voila. Had lots of winter time battles in the
basement of our house. A long time ago in a place far, far away.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message news
On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper
I wonder how hard it would be to make decent lincoln logs. It doesn't
look hard, but sometimes that's where I get into trouble. :-)

Figure in the cost of some decent wood that won't warp or split, the
time it will take design the log variations you want, the time to make
each log, at infinitum.

Unless you're going to get a decent amount of pleasure out of making
all these similar type logs *and* you've got a child that will get
pleasure out of using them, you have to wonder if it will just be to
be less aggravating to buy a set.

In my case, I had my 1962 vintage Lincoln logs in storage and when it was
time for my kids to use them I fulfilled my own childhood fantasy of having
100s more of them by making 100s more of them. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:51:10 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
In my case, I had my 1962 vintage Lincoln logs in storage and when it was
time for my kids to use them I fulfilled my own childhood fantasy of having
100s more of them by making 100s more of them. ;~)

I was a Meccano kid. I remember when one of the kids living across the
street showed me his new Lincoln logs. I played with them for a bit
and then went back to my Meccano. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:47:56 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

The reward of doing it your self, is a consideration, but when
considering how I could use the time in other ways usually it is not
practical to make things my self.

Are you sure you're in the right group? :-)

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2013 1:09 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:47:56 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

The reward of doing it your self, is a consideration, but when
considering how I could use the time in other ways usually it is not
practical to make things my self.

Are you sure you're in the right group? :-)

I am in the right group, there are other things that there is no way to
go but convert some decent boards to sawdust.