Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WW Christmas present

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:06:38 -0500, wrote:

snipped

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

I always thought Lincoln Logs were boring. We had blocks that used to
be radio crystal cases (about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/4") in WWII. I We
must have had 10,000 of them that my father got from scrap. My
brother built a "model" of the Empire State Building that was about 9'
tall. Great fun.
I had the most fun with the Tinker Toys. I had a bunch of them, too.
I had a small Erector set but they were too expensive. Legos came too
late. Well, they weren't for my son. "Lego my Legos" ;-)

I seem to remember the meccano/erector sets were -
- quite expensive - back in the day..
.. then when shopping for my kids - Lego seemed expensive !
.. but it was still there, under the tree, at Christmas.

Different dollar and a different society. I've certainly have had a
lot more discretionary income than my parents ever did (even
considering that my father died when I was 12).

... but I do get a little peeved at Chinese Lincoln Logs !
John T.

They know what plastic is. Have they seen a tree? ;-)