Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My best Christmas present.

Was a phone call.

A friend of mine is a single parent (as was I for many years) and she
doesn't have a lot of luck with men, health or whatever. She does have a
bright engaging ten year old boy.

A couple of weeks ago I was bored and sifting through the eBay items closing
in minutes when I came across a single Robbie Williams ticket. This was a
Gold ticket usually going for about $170 and it was closing with no bids for
$50. I jumped in, sniped it and got it for the $50. I then called my friend
and asked her if she'd like to go. She jumped at the chance and we said we'd
look after her boy while she was at the gig. I had an ulterior motive, as
when she left to see the concert the boy and I disappeared into my workshop
and I told him we were going to make Mum's present, or more exactly HE was
going to make it.

I'd bought a piece of 40mm pine and told him of the plan to make two
breadboards. Why two? I would make the first step on mine then he would copy
it on his. We then did the safety briefing. I showed him exactly what damage
the equipment would suffer if they had the chance cut his arm off - none.I
got the face mask and the ear protection on him and we were set. He cut the
board to size on the tablesaw, chose a router bit, routed a design around
the edge, rough sanded and then fine sanded the board top and bottom. We
then heated it in the oven and coated it with olive oil. Each step I did
first and then I hovered over him to make sure he was as safe as I could
make him.as he did it himself.

The phone call came today with Mum ecstatic over the first functional gift
he had made himself and him as proud as he could be. One of his other gifts
was a keyboard and when he saw it he tried to guess what it was inside the
wrapping and jumped with joy at the thought that it might be woodworking
equipment like I have.

I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in May.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in May.

Mekon

Birthday? Is she a flower person? May I suggest a (or a pair of)
simple plant stand/stool, 12" high, with 3 legs (stands firm on any
surface). I've made lots of these with nice scrap. And log slices make
for a more natural and decorative piece, when the log's natural edging
is maintained.... Suits the display of the plant, itself, rather than
having a straight-cut-board look on the edges. Limbs for legs, if you
have them available. Easy to make and a nice gift, not to mention a
good beginner's project. I have pics to share, though I can't post on
the ABPW boards.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message

Was a phone call.

I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in

May.

You did good! May the good karma come back to you tenfold, for you deserve
it for that kind and thoughtful act!

Merry Christmas to you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message

And you were the biggest recipient of all. The gift of giving.

Merry Christmas

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
Was a phone call.

The phone call came today with Mum ecstatic over the first functional gift
he had made himself and him as proud as he could be.

Don't you just love a story with a happy ending? You did good. Everyone is
a winner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:46:16 GMT, "Mekon" wrote:

.... snip

The phone call came today with Mum ecstatic over the first functional gift
he had made himself and him as proud as he could be. One of his other gifts
was a keyboard and when he saw it he tried to guess what it was inside the
wrapping and jumped with joy at the thought that it might be woodworking
equipment like I have.

I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in May.

Heartwarming story in the true spirit of Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and yours (sounds like it already is)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in

May.

Mekon

Birthday? Is she a flower person? May I suggest a (or a pair of)
simple plant stand/stool, 12" high, with 3 legs (stands firm on any
surface). I've made lots of these with nice scrap. And log slices make
for a more natural and decorative piece, when the log's natural edging
is maintained.... Suits the display of the plant, itself, rather than
having a straight-cut-board look on the edges. Limbs for legs, if you
have them available. Easy to make and a nice gift, not to mention a
good beginner's project. I have pics to share, though I can't post on
the ABPW boards.

Sonny

Thanks for that... Can you post the pics on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Alternatively the email adress works.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if you or the boy is the bigger winner here. You receive a
satisfaction which can't be bought when the young fellow learns something
fun and useful, makes something useful and then, gives it away and you enjoy
his joy as he lifts his mother's spirits. Jeez, I'm getting a good feeling
just writing this. *Very* nice story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:
[...]

The kid needs a toolbox.

Thanks for the heart-warming story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:
I think he has the bug. He has already told me about Mum's birthday in May.

TOTAL COOL POINTS! ! ! Simple as this was in many peoples opinions, it
is the meaning of Christmas!

WTG! ! !