Judy and Dave G

Default Christmas Present for the DIY spouse

Hello friends.

I was having a heck of a time coming up with something for hubby for
Christmas. He has about enough tools to rebuild Atlantis someday, along
with all the required hardware and most of the lumber. Hmmm, maybe it does
pay to listen. Listen to him complain ... where the *#@ is that _____ (fill
in any tool, nail, cord, etc). #@% , I never can find the right hammer when
I need it. Or, even, "I have to run to town to get some _____ nails (or
screws)" Now, this man is the front-runner in the "Whoever dies with
heaviest pile of unusable nails, screws, bolts, nuts... is the winner"
contest. I bite my lip often to avoid the urge to admonish and point out
that he already has at least 5 pounds of that particular nail or screw, if
he just knew where they were.

For background, I am one of those people that can pretty much find anything
that is in our living areas. I pretty much can remember where stuff is.
But only if I was the last one to touch it. Dave, on the other hand, has
trouble finding anything. He is always amazed that I can remember and find
something that we haven't used or needed for 4 years, and usually within
minutes, not days.

Our farm is pretty much the side of a hill. The addition we built was cut
into the hill and the garage is the ground level and the first floor is same
level as the rest of the living area. We did the addition totally by
ourselves. We couldn't do poured walls, so we did the concrete block walls
in the garage/basement. We used horizontal wire between every 3 row of
blocks. We also used additional blocks to form piers in the rear wall, this
wall is the one 'against' and 'holding' the hillside. This is the end for
Dave's workshop. 24' x 12'. We extended the concrete block by 8" (1/2) of
a block by 16" of block as 3 piers built into but extending out from the
wall for additional strength. Dave built small shelves, only 12" wide by 4"
deep onto the one section of wall. Then he hung shelf hangers on the other
end between the pier and the other sidewall. I put the shelves on. And
shelves above his radial arm saw and above his workbench. Then I had him
put in 2 shelves under the workbench.

I bought a bunch of plastic storage tubs. Not large, 9x12 and about 8"
deep. I labeled the tubs. Hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, files,
socket stuff, "plane, shave, scrape", cut, putty, measure, angles and
straights, etc. (can't remember any others). Then I labeled some of the
tubs for specific things, sandpaper, sandpaper rolls, saw guides, paper and
pamphlets, writing, fire lighting, lights, pneumatics, clean, oil, etc.

Then I emptied every darn thing that had tools and parts in it. And I put
them where they belong. Then I dumped out every coffee can, jar, tub,
bucket, etc. that had nails or stuff in it. And I separated that stuff.
Put all the lug type bolts, nuts, screws in one section of the small shelves
using jars, small plastic containers, baby food jars, etc. Did the same
with drywall/deck type screws. And with treated nails, screws and stuff.
And small bolts. small screws. nuts. washers. Then I gathered up every
hand tool I could find. All of these gatherings included both sheds, the
honey house, the outhouse, and both barns. There wasn't too much stuff in
the barns that belonged in the work area, but there were some. And I put
the tools into their cases and labeled the outside of the case with what was
in it. Then I labeled some larger tubs to hold some of the power tools that
had accessories. I put these cases and tubs on the larger shelves. I hung
hand saws and larger things on nails on the main beam down the center of the
workshop. I hung a pipe on the wall above the cabinet that I put the bench
sander and grinder on. I hung all of the telescoping and larger clamps on
it.

I separated garden stuff, auto stuff, etc. Labeled tubs and separated them.
Like fuses, weedwhacker cord and parts, protection (ear, eye, hands), rags,
etc.

This christmas present took me about 3 weeks, full time, to do. But, honest
to heaven, the man hasn't had to ask me where something is since I finished
it. That was the week after Thanksgiving. And he actually puts stuff back
when he is done. Because everything has someplace to be.

I really think that that is the problem with messed up houses, garages,
sheds, desks, drawers, etc. We always put 'stuff' somewhere. We have to.
And if it doesn't have a homeplace, well, it becomes one of those 'where is
it' things.

Dave loves his workshop. He actually can work at the bench or drill press
or table saw or etc. without having to rearrange the whole space.

And when we were doing the Christmas lights we didn't have to use 1/2 day
running around trying to find extension cords.

What did anyone else receive? Anything interesting that the rest of us can
think about for next year?

Thanks to all for all the help and info we have received here over the years
and wishes for all that your next year be nothing but better.

Judy

Tony Hwang

Judy and Dave G wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Isn't it the case of poor craftsman? I hope not.
In the orient, there is an old saying going like this.
"Poor craftsman complains about his tool all the time"
I may add, poor musician complains about his instrument all the time.
I store things in neat order, X-mas lights, cord, timer all in one
place. Never running around looking for things. Only problem is wife
keeps adding/changing things on the spot without my prior knowledge.
Tony

Grim

"Judy and Dave G" wrote in message
Hello friends.

(courtesy snip)
What did anyone else receive? Anything interesting that the rest of us

can
think about for next year?

Thanks to all for all the help and info we have received here over the

years
and wishes for all that your next year be nothing but better.

Judy

That sounds like a hell of a gift.

The misses gave me a really cool caller ID globe from the Discovery Channel
Store... It shows you who is calling in a hologram that you can see from
anywhere in the room, the time,day and seasonal messages.

It sounds really nice, I am sure I will enjoy it when I finally clear the
clutter off my desk and take it out of the box... LOL

Next year I am asking for a brush and branch shredder so I may put the globe
out...

8-)

Grim

---
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!

Greg O

[...]

LOL!!
Reminds me of a couple years back when my SWMBO decided to clean and
organize my shop. It truely was not that bad, it just was not up to "her"
expectations. I could not find anything for weeks!! Her methods of sorting
made no resonable sense to me what so ever!
I let her know that I loved her dearly, and appreciated the gesture, gave
her a big hug, and told her to stay the HELL out of my shop!!
Greg

jim

sounds like a pretty good present to me.....
reminds me of why i dont need anything for christmas: wife says, hey
this drill for sale looks pretty good, what do you think.. i say that i
dont need a drill, got a couple of good ones now.. wife says, oh, i want
one for me... i say OK, then i have to pack it away with my other stuff
and find out its for me....what about these tools that sears has for
sale??? are they any good?? can we use them... i dont need any more
tools.. oh, but do you have 5mm to 19 mm???? let me see.. oh well for
that price i guess i can use them, but really dont need them... yes but
what about the time you could not find the 10 mm wrench.. i just used a
socket with the handle drive as it was such a low torque bolt.. could
have used some pliers on it... well i guess i can use some more just in
case.... waht about this standard set??? its 1/4 in. to 5/8 in.. no i
dont need that i got all the standard stuff since the 60's.... well what
about this power washer?? can we use it??? no i dont want to buy a power
washer to wash the sidewalk like the neighbor down the street.. its not
my thing.... yes, but its got a gas motor.....???? NO... when you want
the sidewalk clean i can use bleach or pool chemicals to get the mold
off the sidewalk... OK,,, OK...... well what about this power saw???
no. i dont want to cut anyting, got a circular saw, sabre saw, and a
whole buch of hand saws, dont need any more saws.... well what about
this other thing in the sears ad??? No, the weedwacher we got now is
just as good as this one, maybe better.... well what about this
edger??? no, i dont need a gas edger as the electric one we have is good
enough for us..... well i saw this boat ad on the back page, and you
could go out on a boat... No. i dont want to be on a boat, when its time
to come home i want to drive or be able to walk when i want to get home,
dont like being stranded on the water.... what about these christmas
lights or animated animals for the lawn??? oh, we have enough.... never
had any place to put the stuff in the shed on the front of the house now
so what we gonna do with these new ones... Oh, come on, lets go to the
store and see What YOU WANT.... and no more tools for me, OK.. ok....

Judy and Dave G

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Judy and Dave G wrote:
Hello friends.

Dave loves his workshop. He actually can work at the bench or drill

press
or table saw or etc. without having to rearrange the whole space.
Judy

Hi,

Hi Tony

Isn't it the case of poor craftsman? I hope not.
In the orient, there is an old saying going like this.
"Poor craftsman complains about his tool all the time"

Oh, Lord no. I hope I didn't give the impression that Dave does not do
excellent work. He does. The man doesn't know how to take a shortcut when
it involves building anything. When we were building the walls with the
block he measured and squared till I was blue in the face. When we
completed the block walls, it was out of square by 1/64th of an inch, on the
far side of the square.

And, even more, I hope I didn't give the impression that I was complaining
about Dave's tool! ;o}

I may add, poor musician complains about his instrument all the time.
I store things in neat order, X-mas lights, cord, timer all in one
place. Never running around looking for things. Only problem is wife
keeps adding/changing things on the spot without my prior knowledge.

Feels a little like an admonition that I shouldn't have changed things. For
some, probably not. But for Dave and I, worked out fine. I labeled
everything. You just have to stand in the middle and turn from side to side
and you can find anything the first time you try.

Judy

Tony

Judy and Dave G

"Grim" wrote in message

"Judy and Dave G" wrote in message
Hello friends.

(courtesy snip)
What did anyone else receive? Anything interesting that the rest of us

can
think about for next year?

Thanks to all for all the help and info we have received here over the

years
and wishes for all that your next year be nothing but better.

Judy

That sounds like a hell of a gift.

The misses gave me a really cool caller ID globe from the Discovery

Channel
Store... It shows you who is calling in a hologram that you can see from
anywhere in the room, the time,day and seasonal messages.

It sounds really nice, I am sure I will enjoy it when I finally clear the
clutter off my desk and take it out of the box... LOL

Hey, Grim. Actually that really does sound pretty neat. We found one that
announces the number calling, we love not having to get up to look at the ID
before we don't answer the phone!

Next year I am asking for a brush and branch shredder so I may put the

globe
out...

I think you're gonna love it when you hook it up!

8-)

Grim

Judy

---
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!

Judy and Dave G

"Greg O" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Greg.

Actually, I thought about this cleanup for about a month before I actually
took it on. I was concerned I wouldn't put stuff in the right place or
something. That is why I did generic tubs like "cut, shave" or "angles,
measures" or "hammers".

There was one thing that I am still thinking about. The nail sets. I
couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where the nail sets should go.

Judy

Judy and Dave G

"jim" wrote in message ...
sounds like a pretty good present to me.....
reminds me of why i dont need anything for christmas: wife says, hey
this drill for sale looks pretty good, what do you think.. i say that i
dont need a drill,

Funny! My daughter and I also laugh about this all the time. She is now
29. When she was a child, Dave always bought her something that he wanted
for her present. I think she was 10 when she figured it out. We have
laughed every birthday and Christmas since then. He still does it.

Judy

(none)

I got something like that--large coffee cans labled, "things that cut
things," "things that measure things," "things that stick things," etc.
Now what I gotta do is put big elastic bands on all my tools so all by
themselves they go back where they're supposed to be.
(Now, why is my chain saw on the kitchen counter?)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Grim

"(none)" (None) wrote in message
(Now, why is my chain saw on the kitchen counter?)

Carving the turkey??

Grim

---
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!