Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why do lap joints work?

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:

Wouldn't a finish tend to retard the movement of moisture into and
out of the wood? If it's moisture changes causing the movement, and
not something else like temperature, then could the finish play a
part in allowing pieces to be transported with little difficulty?

Yeah but that's where it gets even worse - instruments are only
finished on the outside. The inside of a guitar for example, or a
fiddle, etc. is raw wood. That's a worst case scenario for wood.
To be fair - the wood does move, and guitars fall out of tune due to
changes in humidity, and they are all glued together with cross
braces inside, and the like, so there is an understandable reason
why they don't move as much, but then there's that stuff from IKEA.
I still don't understand how it holds up.

The particle board, MDF, etc. used for most Ikea furniture doesn't
have the cross-grain/with-the-grain diffences in expansion rates
like solid wood does.

Yup - somebody else mentioned that, and I had not even thought of that. Tip
of the hat to the both of you. I'll sit back down with my guitar in the
corner for now...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:29:14 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

As for fitting in at Callahan's Place - I think I might have met Mike
Callahan at some point in my life...

But isn't it Mary's Place now?

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

No doubt due to supply and demand, I see Taylor using a lot of
"Sapele" on their guitars these days. I never heard of it before
they started using it.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/woods

Do a search for the 710CE, Bill. That's the acoustic I have, except
mine is blonde, not stained. Very nice guitars.

My recollection was that the Taylor 700 Series had Mahogany bodies,
(and that the 800 series had Rosewood bodies). The website describes
both as being made with Rosewood. Yes, very nice guitars. It's
curious that our interests overlap so much (there's even a pun to be
found with the name of this thread). I played a CD by Mance Lipscomb
on the way to work today. "Freddie poor boy, he got mad, with a gun,
in his hand...".

Hey Bill - here's a link to an original on my Taylor... Warning - we did
this in my living room, with the only digital camcorder we own. Quality is
less than optimal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

I'd like to see one with your wife sitting in the empty chair there next
to you. Nice job. I have never seen a video of myself playing. I
shared an mp3 or two here a few years ago--I'm not sure whether you
heard them. Let's see, what could I do? "Freddie poor boy, he got
mad, with a gun, in his hand... ; ) I used to be big on Blind Lemon
Jefferson and Charlie Patton. I used to walk around a park-like area
with my guitar to sing and baffle the kids. I was propositioned by two
different women on two different occasions. I guess that's nothing to
you guys who play out alot, where alcohol is consumed! ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I'd like to see one with your wife sitting in the empty chair there
next to you.

I'd like to see that myself, but she is very shy and the few times that
she's been out with me when I did this song, she hated when I drew attention
to her.

Nice job.

Thank you, but the video is really poor quality in every respect. I don't
own a decent camera to do this stuff right.

I have never seen a video of myself playing.
I shared an mp3 or two here a few years ago--I'm not sure whether you
heard them. Let's see, what could I do? "Freddie poor boy, he got
mad, with a gun, in his hand... ; ) I used to be big on Blind Lemon
Jefferson and Charlie Patton. I used to walk around a park-like area
with my guitar to sing and baffle the kids. I was propositioned by
two different women on two different occasions. I guess that's
nothing to you guys who play out alot, where alcohol is consumed! ; )

Yeahbut just once, just one time... I wish one of them would have all of
their front teeth...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:05:44 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

I used to make lots of them. Now, less because I have more tools but I
still do on occasion and I wonder why they work? We all know that wood
expands and contracts and lap joints have to pieces of wood doing that at
right angles to each other yet they remain nice and solid. How come?

Someone might say it is because each piece is narrow and doesn't move much.
That is true but I've often made fairly wide laps. For example, all our
toilet seats are wood, each made with four pieces about 3" wide lapped at
the corners.

Discussion is invited.

It has to do with the better bonding of long grain faces versus the end
grain which basically sucks up the glue and has poor bonding.

I think it is like no on prefers butt faces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:15:25 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

List of woods & experience:

Spruce, maple, mahogany, walnut, ebony, rosewood, and in particular, Honduras mahogany are all woods that are extremely stable .... . You will rarely see any other type of wood on a musical instrument.

Nope ... it is experienced based, ....

25 or so yrs ago, several teenage nephews visited for a few summer weeks, brought their guitars to jam, one or 2 for simple repairs, etc., etc. They asked about making a guitar from scratch.

I had an air dried sycamore log, so "we" decided to try carving a whole (single unit) "guitar" from it. Got pretty far with carving the body, neck, ram's head headstock, hand planed 1/8" soundboard, etc., but never assembled/finished it. When the boys left, I stuck it in the old shop and....

It hasn't moved, since.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 05:06:04 -0800 (PST), Sonny
When the boys left, I stuck it in the old shop and....
It hasn't moved, since

Embed a radio in it and hang it on the wall. It might make a good
conversation piece.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny"
wrote in message

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:15:25 AM UTC-6,
Swingman wrote:

List of woods & experience:

Spruce, maple, mahogany, walnut, ebony,
rosewood, and in particular, Honduras mahogany
are all woods that are extremely stable .... .
You will rarely see any other type of wood on
a musical instrument.

Nope ... it is experienced based, ....

25 or so yrs ago, several teenage nephews visited
for a few summer weeks, brought their guitars to
jam, one or 2 for simple repairs, etc., etc. They
asked about making a guitar from scratch.

I had an air dried sycamore log, so "we" decided
to try carving a whole (single unit) "guitar" from
it. Got pretty far with carving the body, neck,
ram's head headstock, hand planed 1/8" soundboard,
etc., but never assembled/finished it. When the
boys left, I stuck it in the old shop and....

It hasn't moved, since.

Sonny

Perhaps a grandkid will be thrilled to find it,
eih? ;)}