Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Combining projects, or how to fix a chopping board

My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come
out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there
should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the
grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.

These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin
it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.

And then say, "What's the problem? Just fix it!" Or, "Wassamatta? You
have two of them, and that one your Dad gave you was getting old anyway?"

Sheesh. Think I'll use her nice white placemats next time I need to
wash Big Red, and see how she likes it.

"Oh, Honey, don't you like the way the grey tones accentuate the white?"

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2013 12:57 PM, SteveB wrote:
[...]

What does the reverse side look like?
Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Or use her nice linen napkins for a snot rag at the table...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveB" wrote in message ...
[...]

Put a wet dishrag on it and use HER iron to steam the hell out of it. With
luck the holes will swell closed.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveB" wrote in message ...

[...]

On our chopping board as it gets nicks and deep cuts I fill with JB Weld and
after set up for 24 hours use belt sander to even it smooth. Then treat with
MINERAL OIL. Let it soak in and them wipe off excess. This board is over 50
years old. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 28, 2013 11:57:38 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:
[...]

How thick is it? I would be inclined to hand plane it down if it's a couple of inches or more thick and it's not too wide and long. Some kind of fill will look like crap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:57:38 -0700, SteveB
wrote:

[...]

Water would be my first step swell them holes closed.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one, and
used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in some
project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as a
backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper punch,

Put a wet dishrag on it and use HER iron to steam the hell out of it. With
luck the holes will swell closed.

+1

This will probably work just fine...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Her project was to poke holes in some project of hers with an ice pick

I'm envisioning a Halloween (stab'um with an ice pick) scene.

On Monday, October 28, 2013 2:31:28 PM UTC-5, Artemus wrote:
Put a wet dishrag on it and use HER iron to steam the hell out of it. With luck the holes will swell closed. Art

I vote this route. Even if the holes don't close completely, they may be much smaller to not matter, too much. Smaller holes: Maybe drive some rounded tooth picks into the holes and hope they seat themselves, securely, and not look obvious. *Try a few tooth picks before committing to all the holes.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with Sonny, toothpicks. Great, inexpensive solver for problem holes. If there's some way to compress the fibers (rub them between two butter knives?) before you pound them into the holes, it would be better. Cut them off flush with the surface. Follow up with a soaking in hot water to swell the fibers back up, and they should never come out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
[...]

Maybe mine is also an aesthetic choice but I like this suggestion for sanitary
reasons; particularly if the block's used for cutting meat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Or a combination of suggestions, plane a little AND steam a lot.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin
it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.

These women? Last time I loaned out my grinder to the neighbor guy,
he sheared off the head bolt while trying to grind off the
front end bolts on his mini van. I got back a useless device.

And then say, "What's the problem? Just fix it!" Or, "Wassamatta? You
have two of them, and that one your Dad gave you was getting old anyway?"

I'm the one who fixes things here. Hubby is the one who breaks them.

Sheesh. Think I'll use her nice white placemats next time I need to
wash Big Red, and see how she likes it.

Place mats? What are those??
Not sure I want to ponder on what 'Big Red' is.

"Oh, Honey, don't you like the way the grey tones accentuate the white?"

Huh? What language is this??

Or use her nice linen napkins for a snot rag at the table...

Napkins? Oh! I only use my husband's old shirts for that.

Put a wet dishrag on it and use HER iron to steam the hell out of it.
With luck the holes will swell closed.

Iron? Does someone still use that archaic device??

In this house, I'm the one with tools, the one who fixes things, the
one who builds things. I don't wear high heels, makeup or jewelry. The
money for those things goes for new tools. My best gifts come from my
father-in-law who used to send me 80lb plus boxes of tools, and socks
and underwear for hubby.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2013 9:44 AM, Casper wrote:

In this house, I'm the one with tools, the one who fixes things, the
one who builds things. I don't wear high heels, makeup or jewelry. The
money for those things goes for new tools. My best gifts come from my
father-in-law who used to send me 80lb plus boxes of tools, and socks
and underwear for hubby.

+1 You go, girl!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

These women? Last time I loaned out my grinder to the neighbor guy,
he sheared off the head bolt while trying to grind off the
front end bolts on his mini van. I got back a useless device.

Damn - that took some talent, or some effort!

I'm the one who fixes things here. Hubby is the one who breaks them.

Ah - a nobel woman indeed! My wife is pretty handy as well - a trait I find
very attractive.

Place mats? What are those??
Not sure I want to ponder on what 'Big Red' is.

Place mats? That's where you wipe your elbows so you don't get grease on
the table top, right? I'm not going near the second part of that
statement...

Or use her nice linen napkins for a snot rag at the table...

Napkins? Oh! I only use my husband's old shirts for that.

My wife would never stand for that. I keep my old shirts too long for her
to wait for that. When I retire a shirt - it's retired!

Iron? Does someone still use that archaic device??

I think it falls into the category of whips and chains...

In this house, I'm the one with tools, the one who fixes things, the
one who builds things. I don't wear high heels, makeup or jewelry. The
money for those things goes for new tools. My best gifts come from my
father-in-law who used to send me 80lb plus boxes of tools, and socks
and underwear for hubby.

My wife has been amassing a collection of tools, of sorts. It all started
with a 27 ton log splitter - her first "power tool". Now she owns her own
"girly chainsaw" (a Stihl of course...), cordless screwdrivers, wrenches,
regular screwdrivers, and other miscellaneous stuff. I'm holding off on
buying her a ratchet set until she's *really* nice to me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2013 10:44 AM, Casper wrote:
These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin
it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.

These women? Last time I loaned out my grinder to the neighbor guy,
he sheared off the head bolt while trying to grind off the
front end bolts on his mini van. I got back a useless device.

In this house, I'm the one with tools, the one who fixes things, the
one who builds things. I don't wear high heels, makeup or jewelry. The
money for those things goes for new tools. My best gifts come from my
father-in-law who used to send me 80lb plus boxes of tools, and socks
and underwear for hubby.

`Casper

So, instead of "these women" he should have said "those women"?
Just trying to clarify.