Posted to rec.woodworking
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Combining projects, or how to fix a chopping board

In article ,
says...
On Monday, October 28, 2013 11:57:38 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,

and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in

some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as

a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper

punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I

now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size

of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the

holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come

out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there

should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the

grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.

These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin

it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.

And then say, "What's the problem? Just fix it!" Or, "Wassamatta? You

have two of them, and that one your Dad gave you was getting old anyway?"

Sheesh. Think I'll use her nice white placemats next time I need to

wash Big Red, and see how she likes it.

"Oh, Honey, don't you like the way the grey tones accentuate the white?"

Steve

How thick is it? I would be inclined to hand plane it down if it's a couple of inches or more thick and it's not too wide and long. Some kind of fill will look like crap.

Maybe mine is also an aesthetic choice but I like this suggestion for sanitary
reasons; particularly if the block's used for cutting meat.