Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just Finished The Shop Roof. Whew!

I'm too old for roofing work, anymore, but the whole roof is now complete. I ache all over. This roof section was about 3 squares in size. Didn't have any help, this time, as the nephews were busy. Took 8 days, longer than I thought it would.

For a long time, I've been wanting to finish that roof!

New 2X6 framing of some rafters and all the overhang framed with 2X6. Previously, the old house had exposed overhangs (no soffits) with 2X4 rafters. New decking was installed over the old.

I may prime the 40' of facia, today.... there's a chance of rain, later this evening, so I wouldn't mind getting it primed, while the scaffolds are still up. All the climbing and bending is killing my knees.

I bought a Makita 5007F circular saw, after the Craftsman quit. That model has been around for 30 yrs and it's a good saw. I did order the Bosch CS20 and it arrived Wednesday. I just opened the box. It's pretty heavy, as that Craftsman is, but does seem to be a much heavier duty saw. Nice large heavy duty tool bag, also, a bonas I didn't expect.

This job wasn't so fun, but it's done. The next phase (or 2) is replacing the remainder of the old siding, insulating, replace some flooring & floor joists, etc.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:38:08 -0700, Sonny wrote:

[...]

Glad you made it through the roofing.

When I put the sheet metal roofing on my shop, It was clear to me that I
have lost my nerve for roof work, it is only a 4/12 pitch and I was
mortified to whole time. Doesn't seem like that long ago I was doing iron
work and running down 6" beams like a squirrel on a power line.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 23:35:00 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

I feel your pain!

Glad you made it through the roofing.

When I put the sheet metal roofing on my shop, It was clear to me that I
have lost my nerve for roof work, it is only a 4/12 pitch and I was
mortified to whole time. Doesn't seem like that long ago I was doing iron
work and running down 6" beams like a squirrel on a power line.

My one, only, and last, experience with roofing was a garage I built
some 25 years ago. The 4/12 pitch was no problem but it's just too
damned much work! I'll do a lot around the house but I sure learned
my lesson with that one.

Several years later I did try to do a little work on my VT house but I
couldn't quite negotiate the 9/12 pitch. My houses since have been
12/12 and 15/12. Not even going to think about it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

I'm too old for roofing work, anymore, but the whole roof is now
complete. I ache all over.

snip
-------------------------------------
"basilisk" wrote:

Glad you made it through the roofing.

When I put the sheet metal roofing on my shop, It was clear to me
that I
have lost my nerve for roof work, it is only a 4/12 pitch and I was
mortified to whole time. Doesn't seem like that long ago I was doing
iron
work and running down 6" beams like a squirrel on a power line.

Took a spill from the cockpit down into the engine compartment, a
distance of about 7'-8'.

No apparent broken bones, my glasses still fit my face, time to get
organized.

Managed to crawl up out of the boat, about 8' and down the stairs,
(all 18 steps), put the tools away and drive the 30 miles home.

Laid in bed for 2 days before I could crawl to the desk and start
taking care of business.

It was then that I realized I'd never again walk the fore deck of a
boat going to windward in 20 knots of wind and the decks pitched
10-15 degrees as the boat clawed it's way to windward.

Reality had set in.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:46:30 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Took a spill from the cockpit down into the engine compartment, a
distance of about 7'-8'.

No apparent broken bones, my glasses still fit my face, time to get
organized.

Managed to crawl up out of the boat, about 8' and down the stairs,
(all 18 steps), put the tools away and drive the 30 miles home.

Laid in bed for 2 days before I could crawl to the desk and start
taking care of business.

It was then that I realized I'd never again walk the fore deck of a
boat going to windward in 20 knots of wind and the decks pitched
10-15 degrees as the boat clawed it's way to windward.

Reality had set in.

Is this when you realized, I ain't a teenager no more?

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reality had set in.

------------------------------------
"Markem" wrote:

Is this when you realized, I ain't a teenager no more?

That happened 40 nyears ago.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2013 11:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reality had set in.

------------------------------------
"Markem" wrote:

Is this when you realized, I ain't a teenager no more?

That happened 40 nyears ago.

If there's a ladder around, I can show you how to fall off of it.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2013 2:38 PM, Sonny wrote:

This job wasn't so fun, but it's done. The next phase (or 2) is replacing the remainder of the old siding, insulating, replace some flooring & floor joists, etc.

Congratulations.

I just _paid_ to have the roof on our lake house replaced two weeks ago,
something I would have not hesitated to do myself five years ago.

The slope gets steeper on the downside ... and I ain't talking about the
roof.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:55:34 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2013 11:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote: "Lew Hodgett" wrote: Reality had set in. ------------------------------------ "Markem" wrote: Is this when you realized, I ain't a teenager no more? ---------------------------------------------- That happened 40 nyears ago. If there's a ladder around, I can show you how to fall off of it. -- eWoodShop: www..eWoodShop.com Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/ KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Here's a few pics, the first one of what it looked like, previously.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/
I did get the facia primed, yesterday.

40 yrs ago I was 21. I once fell off a 12' step ladder, after a wrung broke, while chain sawing limbs from a tree. Luckily, only my pride was a little damaged.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2013 11:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reality had set in.

------------------------------------
"Markem" wrote:

Is this when you realized, I ain't a teenager no more?

That happened 40 nyears ago.

If there's a ladder around, I can show you how to fall off of it.

I can be a lot more boring than that - I can show you what a tree sloth
looks like in action as I freeze in place somewhere between the begining and
the end of the ladder...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2013 8:23 AM, Sonny wrote:

Here's a few pics, the first one of what it looked like, previously.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/
I did get the facia primed, yesterday.

Good job on the soffits!

I need to do the exact same thing, but it's 20' up for most of it and me
and ladders don't get along these days. (40 years ago I was 31)

Linda and her sister inherited this property, built in 1954, when their
Dad died a few years back. To keep it in the family, and shortcut a
forced sale, we bought her sister out, then Linda "rented" it to a
"friend" (no longer a friend of mine, I damned well can tell you) for a
couple of years.

I asked them to leave in June of this year and started fixing the
problems _I_ suddenly "inherited" ... funny how that works, eh?

(I posted here earlier on the downstairs bath demo and remodel, and the
upper kitchen cabinets. I'm working on doors, drawers and drawer fronts
for the kitchen base cabinets as we speak.)

Wanted to get the roof fixed before I tackled what to do about the
overhang. Here's what I'm faced with:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...Lakehouse2013#

Not all that bad considering the age of the house. I'm considering doing
exactly what you did, but I need to temper what I do with the fact that
if we decide to sell it, it would be a tear down. That is why I decided
not to replace the kitchen cabinets, and refurbish them instead. With
the tear down factor, I might just decide to replace what's damaged,
scrape and repaint.

Then on to the repairing the dock ... (tired just thinking about it).

Not bitching, mind you. It is paid for and, if the SHTF, it would suit
me just fine to live there, if I could get used to WalMart being the
social center of a much smaller universe.

Besides, I would then have to build another shop ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I did my garage last year......It was 18 squares.....had to remove all the
shingles, take off the skylights.....6 of them, and order new flashing.
Painted the flashing, repaired any damage, put new molding flashing around
the perimeter, and roofed.
I know the pain.
john

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

40 yrs ago I was 21. I once fell off a 12' step ladder, after a
wrung broke, while chain sawing limbs from a tree. Luckily, only
my pride was a little damaged.

I hit the 40 mark 36 years ago,

Just took a while for it to sink in.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Laid in bed for 2 days before I could crawl to the desk and start
taking care of business.

It was then that I realized I'd never again walk the fore deck of a
boat going to windward in 20 knots of wind and the decks pitched
10-15 degrees as the boat clawed it's way to windward.

Reality had set in.

Sounds like the sailing was just starting to get good!

Right now, I'll just settle for walking without assistance, after falling
off of a roof, and being in a wheelchair for over 3 months. The recovery
from that is really slow. I nearly died, so I am glad just to be here.

Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:

Sounds like the sailing was just starting to get good!

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

There was a time, but my reflexes were still pretty good.

The thing about single handed sailing is the chances are
very good that if you screw up, you're not coming back.
"Morgans" wrote:

Right now, I'll just settle for walking without assistance, after
falling off of a roof, and being in a wheelchair for over 3
months. The recovery from that is really slow. I nearly died, so I
am glad just to be here.

Glad to see you are on the road; however slow, back.

Good luck.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Not bitching, mind you. It is paid for and, if the SHTF, it would suit
me just fine to live there, if I could get used to WalMart being the
social center of a much smaller universe.

Besides, I would then have to build another shop ...

Hopefully this shop will NOT be built in a flood zone.

You don't need to go through that again.

Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew! Leon[_7_] Woodworking 78 April 6th 13 01:10 PM
Whew! Tim Wescott Metalworking 8 March 6th 11 01:48 PM
Whew! KD7HB Metalworking 0 March 5th 11 07:09 PM
O/T: Whew It's Toasty Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 35 September 30th 10 04:44 AM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM