Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Whew!

Car's in the garage, drying out. I did the last 25 feet myself, because
#1 son has some end-of-term thrashing to do for an English class*, and
SWMBO pulled a fascia in her foot.

I got _really motivated_ because I noticed that we'd left the window
open the last time we worked on it, and it has rained. I needed to get
it in where it was warm and dry.

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking content. I ended
up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could attach to the
drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

Now I just need to see if I can get anywhere with the front suspension.

* @#$%.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking content. I ended
up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could attach to the
drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

On my Saturn SL1 and soon on my Ford Focus, the trailer hitch I still have to mount was my
attach point so I could get pulled back out of places I should not have gone.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Car's in the garage, drying out.

(...)

Now I just need to see if I can get anywhere with the front suspension.

Good luck, Tim!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Didn't catch the beginning of this thread but if that car's had an
open window for a spell the real problem won't be rain, it'll be critters
that got in thru the opening! I left a truck in our meadow for a month or so
one spring and when I went to check on it all the plastic handles had been
gnawed to nubs! Rat poop on seats as well: yecchhh!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:48:35 +0000, steamer wrote:

--Didn't catch the beginning of this thread but if that car's had an
open window for a spell the real problem won't be rain, it'll be
critters that got in thru the opening! I left a truck in our meadow for
a month or so one spring and when I went to check on it all the plastic
handles had been gnawed to nubs! Rat poop on seats as well: yecchhh!

It hasn't been out that long. Even with windows rolled up an unused car
gets moldy if it's in the Willamette valley. It just took us three
sessions of tugging and cussing, spread out over a week, to get it the
200 feet from where the tow truck dumped it to my shop floor. We left
windows open during both the intervals, and got a few of those late
winter Oregon rainstorms, where you expect to see an arc sailing by at
any moment.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 18:34:55 -0500, Wes wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking content. I ended
up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could attach to the
drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

On my Saturn SL1 and soon on my Ford Focus, the trailer hitch I still
have to mount was my attach point so I could get pulled back out of
places I should not have gone.

All in all this would have taken a hell of a lot less time if I'd spent
an evening up front making a bracket that would fit into the Honda's
front jacking point, and go onto my loader (or in place of it). Then the
actual moving would have taken 1/2 an hour, instead of three or four,
spread out over three days.

One always achieves clarity in hindsight...

Like ol' Uncle Einar used to say, "Ach, too soon old, too late schmart!"

As far as the front end, I admit I haven't seen one in a while, but if
you're a metalworking guy, it should be - lessee, not quite trivial,
but more tedious than difficult. ;-) I once had a '75 Plymouth Gran Fury,
and my neighbor and I replaced an A-arm bushing with hand tools and
elbow grease. ;-)

Do they still make Chilton's?

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Yes they do, and I should get one for this car. I need to see if the
frame is bent up (the jury's still out), and whether I think I can
straighten it if it is.

The only tool I don't have is a spring compressor, and if I'm intrepid
(or stupid) enough I can make one of those from stuff I have on hand. At
the very least it needs a lower A-arm, spindle, and steering arm. A
fender and bumper, too, if looks matter.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Frame - ewww!

But, well, here's wishing you the best! :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We never doubted. You're the man to have around when things
og wrong og wrong og wrong.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

#1 son has some end-of-term thrashing to do for an English
class*, and
SWMBO pulled a fascia in her foot.

I got _really motivated_ because I noticed that we'd left
the window
open the last time we worked on it, and it has rained. I
needed to get
it in where it was warm and dry.

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking
content. I ended
up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could
attach to the
drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

Now I just need to see if I can get anywhere with the front
suspension.

* @#$%.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written
for you.
See details at
http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html