Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Whew!

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:15:13 -0800, Rich Grise wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 18:34:55 -0500, Wes wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking content. I ended
up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could attach to
the drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

On my Saturn SL1 and soon on my Ford Focus, the trailer hitch I still
have to mount was my attach point so I could get pulled back out of
places I should not have gone.

All in all this would have taken a hell of a lot less time if I'd spent
an evening up front making a bracket that would fit into the Honda's
front jacking point, and go onto my loader (or in place of it). Then
the actual moving would have taken 1/2 an hour, instead of three or
four, spread out over three days.

One always achieves clarity in hindsight...

Like ol' Uncle Einar used to say, "Ach, too soon old, too late schmart!"

As far as the front end, I admit I haven't seen one in a while, but if
you're a metalworking guy, it should be - lessee, not quite trivial, but
more tedious than difficult. ;-) I once had a '75 Plymouth Gran Fury,
and my neighbor and I replaced an A-arm bushing with hand tools and
elbow grease. ;-)

Do they still make Chilton's?

Yes they do, and I should get one for this car. I need to see if the
frame is bent up (the jury's still out), and whether I think I can
straighten it if it is.

The only tool I don't have is a spring compressor, and if I'm intrepid
(or stupid) enough I can make one of those from stuff I have on hand. At
the very least it needs a lower A-arm, spindle, and steering arm. A
fender and bumper, too, if looks matter.

Frame - ewww!

But, well, here's wishing you the best! :-)

Cheers!
Rich