Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular Saw

Trying to finish the shop roof and my Craftsman saw quit. Searched for comparison studies and found this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...n-test#slide-1

The Craftsman, they noted, is what I have, 1 yr old. I assume, either the switch quit or the brushes are bad. Can't remove the brushes without lots of other disassembly. Took the switch apart and parts flew all over.... don't know how to replace them. I hate when a tool quits in the middle of a job, especially one that is not very old. I'm ****ed, having spent an hour+ troubleshooting it, when I could have bought a new one and be back working within that wasted time. *And, as they noted, this Craftsman is heavy, making it very uncomfortable.

The Bosch CS20 was Pop. Mechanics top choice. Sears has them on sale for $99. They are regularly $150. I hope it's as good as they say, I'm going get one. At that price, I might get two.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 11, 2013 1:38:54 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

You can't go wrong with DeWalt or Milwaukee, but that Bosch sounds like a very good deal. I have a Milwaukee and it really plows the kerf without complaint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 11, 2013 11:38:54 AM UTC-7, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I "ashamedly" have a Craftsman 12" SCMS and broke it bad by running into the locking handle and snapping stuff inside. Sears fixed it in about two weeks as it was less than a year old.

Is it still under warranty? If so they fix it all free. Not sure how they feel about prior disassembly by the consumer though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Know what you mean about Craftsman tools. My wife insists on giving me
craftsman gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. I suppose this is an
improvement. She used to go out and buy crap for me that I would never use.
After most tools she bought me were returned, except for one, she figured
out that I should just buy the tools myself. And that one exception is
something she lost the receipt for. And it was something I saw on TV and
laughed at making it clear that I would never buy something like that. So,
what does she do. She ran out and bought it for me! (A battery operated
tape measure.)

I have tried on numerous occasions to come up with an alternative approach,
but she grew up with craftsman and she wants to stick to that. Which is
ironic. She grew up with Singer sewing machines. Back in the day, they
were good quality. Now she won't go near a Singer. But Craftsman is still
OK in her book.

As for their tools, I have actually done Ok with them. Except for a drill I
got recently. I had to do some fence repairs and this drill lost several
driver bits (lousy chuck) and the driver did not work at all. I took it
back and they gave me a new one. It has worked just fine, a remarkable
improvement over the last one.

A couple days ago, I had to rip some old boards. I wanted to adjust the
base of my Craftsman circular saw to make it safer. I could not get the
lever free to adjust the saw. So I did a work around to get the job done
before dark. After getting the job done, I looked at it closely. I tried a
number of times to free up that little adjustment lever. Finally, I got a
giant screwdriver and inserted it underneath the lever. I then gave it a
big push and it broke free. Apparently it got all gummed up and it did not
move well. So I sprayed it with wd-40 and worked it until it moved freely.
I wiped it all down and took some fine oil and rubbed and dripped it into
anything that could possible freeze up.

I love my honey. I just wish she did not have a Craftsman tool fetish. I
get by. Most of the tools do just fine. I would never want to make my
living with these tools though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

An oversight: That Sears sale is for online ordering, but it's still a good price and the shipping is only $7.

I went to Sears and discovered it's not an in-store sale item. I should be able to get by with my other non-portable saws. Ordering the saw will take 7 days to get here. By then, I better be finished with the roof.

I'll have to look for warranty info on the Craftsman.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:38:54 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

I bought the Bosch a number of years ago, I like it especially no tail
attached. So I can have a 25 foot tail or a 50 foot one but I have a
nice 4 foot one usually attached.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:44:45 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

[...]

I have both Milwaukee and Rockwell - both old enough to vote -both
very well used, and both still going strong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Because I'm a lefty I got tired of not being able to grab the saw where
I wanted and also the sawdust in the face.

I found that porter cable made one of the only powered sidewinders
around. It's a nice saw weight wise. Magnesium base... but I think power
wise it is not what I would have thought from porter cable (20+ years
ago). They used to make good tools, but that must have been when they
started to turn.. I still like it. if I had to do one again, it would be
a track saw... not sure who's... But I think this will be passed onto my
son, not that he'll ever use it.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a rear-pivot DeWalt. I like it a lot, though for paneling the
Festool works much better. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

SKIL saw is a universal contractor model.
They have light weight plates also.
john

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

In need of a circular saw LGLA[_2_] Woodworking 17 November 25th 09 01:47 PM
Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
circular saw Fred UK diy 12 February 11th 08 10:38 PM
Circular Saw q [email protected] UK diy 55 October 1st 07 09:59 PM
New circular saw help.... [email protected] Woodworking 13 July 12th 07 01:59 PM