Posted to rec.woodworking

Default In need of a circular saw

Greetings all, it's been a few years since I have been
here, I hope I can become welcome back.

I have been searching the 'net for about 1-1/2 weeks
trying to gather info on every circular saw that I
can find. I need the standard 7-1/4" sidewinder, I
have seen some old posts from the 90's and a few
years ago from this group but I fing it very hard to
find ratings of torque and horsepower. The
Milwaukees have 3-1/4hp, the yellow Dewalts have
2200 'max watts out' or less (as I have learned about),
that meaning just under 3hp... the latest standard 14-
15 amp motors with high RPMs of anywhere from 5000
to 6200 (that one is the left blade bosch cs5). I do not
want a left blader.

I have used some in store opportunity to plug in some
6 or 7 saws to hear the noise levels (as I live in an
apt-plex with outside doors. There are babies every-
where that sleep all hours of the day and night, and
I have a fenced-in patio I can work on with saw horses).
I listened to a Makita 5007, dewalt dw368, a 14 amp -
2.5hp Skil with a red handle (sells for 69.99) OSH
own make, of the same specs as the Skil (Orchard
Supply Hardware akin with Sears) and sells current sale
for 34.99. No doubt out of the same factory as the
Craftsmans.

All the saws I tried were very loud except one, the
following, was acceptably the quietest.

I cannot remember all the names but I did try only one
at Home Depot which was the Ridgid r3202, which I
mostly have my eye on because it is of highest current
specs, and lots of magnesium, upper and lower blade
guards and the shoe base as well. 15 amps and 5800rpm,
but I do not know it's HP or torque ratings, does anyone
own one of these?

I would like to effectively cut through 2" hardwoods
with a finer blade, no table saw locally capable, so
that's why I am curious about horse power and torque.
Or does it matter all that much, with circular saws?

Tall Alex
Carpinteria, SoCal

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you buy a commercial grade tool, it really doesn't matter much
which brand. I prefer Milwaukee, but have Porter Cable and DeWalt
and a Skil 77. If power is your primary interest, look at the
wormdrives, though you said you prefer the sidewinders.

Get a saw that fits your hands and feels good to you. They all
have plenty of power to cut 2" oak with a sharp blade.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"LGLA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LGLA" wrote in message
[...]

Most any better brand circular saw is going to cut what you want.

Regardles of how loud or quiet it is when running, it will become much
louder when it actually cuts wood.

If cost is not a deciding factor and you wold like a saw that cuts splinter
free, and as accurately as a table saw, consider the Festool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:27:31 -0800, the infamous "LGLA"
scrawled the following:

Greetings all, it's been a few years since I have been
here, I hope I can become welcome back.

Welcome back. Lots of old faces here this month, huh?

I have been searching the 'net for about 1-1/2 weeks
trying to gather info on every circular saw that I
can find. I need the standard 7-1/4" sidewinder, I
have seen some old posts from the 90's and a few
years ago from this group but I fing it very hard to
find ratings of torque and horsepower. The
Milwaukees have 3-1/4hp, the yellow Dewalts have
2200 'max watts out' or less (as I have learned about),
that meaning just under 3hp... the latest standard 14-
15 amp motors with high RPMs of anywhere from 5000
to 6200 (that one is the left blade bosch cs5). I do not
want a left blader.

I have used some in store opportunity to plug in some
6 or 7 saws to hear the noise levels (as I live in an
apt-plex with outside doors. There are babies every-
where that sleep all hours of the day and night, and
I have a fenced-in patio I can work on with saw horses).

There's NFW you'll ever keep from waking babies within a block of a
skil saw "going off" Alex.

[...]

If you want quiet, can you use a bandsaw? They're 8x quieter, at
minimum. A good handsaw is a whole lot quieter, too. Battery powered
circular saws are a whole lot quieter, too, but they eat batteries for
lunch. You're lucky to get half a dozen tubafores cut with one
battery.

If it's just 2x you're cutting, check out the little 6-1/2-inchers, as
well.

Maybe this'll help:
http://www.osh.govt.nz/order/catalog...rcsawnoise.pdf
The chop saw cabinet might be of special interest to you.

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LGLA wrote:
[...]

If you need a quiet hand held saw, give careful consideration to a Bosch
jigsaw rather than a circular saw. Getting good square cuts in 2x lumber is
going to require care and the right choice of blade, but the noise level
will be much lower than a circular saw, and the cut quality can be far
better than you would expect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:27:31 -0800, "LGLA" wrote:

[...]

I have both a Dewalt 18V cordless and their rear-pivot corded circular
saw. For noise the cordless is quite nice and I generally use it for
sheet goods. The rear-pivot saw has a really nice mechanism for depth
and angle adjustment. I was going to go with PC until I "saw" the
Dewalt rear-pivot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not circular or a power tool but it wouldn't wake the babyg

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Produ...ntmaker+Pro+v2

Posted to rec.woodworking

Milwaukees ..Light. powerful and tuff. Dewalts are nice but kind of bulky

"LGLA" wrote in message
Greetings all, it's been a few years since I have been
here, I hope I can become welcome back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 2:27 am, "LGLA" wrote:
Greetings all, it's been a few years since I have been
here, I hope I can become welcome back.

Welcome back! It is good to see some old face back around here, not
just faces that are old!

Just kiddin'.....

I have been searching the 'net for about 1-1/2 weeks
trying to gather info on every circular saw that I
can find.

I was in the search for the perfect 7 1/4" saw for years after the
demise of my Milwaukees. The pre Tilt-Lock models were really hard
working great saws that took years of job site abuse before failing.

Many years ago my old Milwaukee saw was the only reliable heavy duty
saw I had. I used it so much for everything (at that time all I did
was carpentry work and contracting) I just took for granted it would
work. Over the time I was using it, it had three rebuilds and a
couple of repairs like triggers and cords. Not bad at all.

But they went to the Tilt-Lock, and the saw feels different, and to me
the opening for the blade around the shoe is just too large. I cut
with the material on both sides of the blade and that gap was a real
deal killer.

The DeWalts are nice saws when they are new, but they don't last well
at all on the jobsite. They might last well in home use, and they are
lightweight and easy to use. Some models have small, strangely shaped
shoes that I don't like. The exception is the DW364, which in my
opinion is a portable saw mill. Heavy to use all day but really heavy
duty, and a great saw.

I don't like any of the other offerings out there for daily use except
the Makita line. I use this one a lot, and actually really like it:

http://tinyurl.com/yhbdoo2

IIRC, it has needle and ball bearings in it, and I have to say it is
the smoothest cutting saw I have ever used. With a good computer
balanced blade in it, you can almost eliminate saw blade kerf marks.

It has plenty of power, and will push through just about anything. 2"
is just about at capacity for any sidewinder, but this saw will cut it
with no problems. This is a really great circular saw. If you get
the kit, you can see that it comes with a blade and rip guide.
something many don't come with anymore.

And with a guide, this thing is marvelous at taking down sheet goods
and even making final cuts for cabinets while out in the field.

I would like to effectively cut through 2" hardwoods
with a finer blade, no table saw locally capable, so
that's why I am curious about horse power and torque.
Or does it matter all that much, with circular saws?

Yes it does, BUT only if the information given by the manufacturer
is correct, and not some baloney like these 5-6 hp ratings on shop
vacs.

My old Milwaukee saws were rated at 13 amps. Torque unknown. They
would out cut the 15 amp PC saws my buddies had all day. The DeWalt
364 rated at 15 amps (torque unknown) will outcut other saws DeWalt
saws that are rated at 15 amps, and most other saws as well.

I would buy from a company that I could take the saw back to
immediately if I didn't like it. One reason to buy Ridgid. I thought
the Ridgid felt OK in the hand, but not great. While this is one I
don't have personal experience with, my amigos tell me that it is a
good "rough" saw, not one you could cut out a cabinet with as needed.
Apparently on the ones they have used, there is a tiny bit of play at
the arbor/bearings connections, and that makes it a bit wobbly.

Hope that helps...

I hope you post back here and let us know what you go and what you
think of it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 3:27*am, "LGLA" wrote:
[...]

I have, in my shop, the following circular saws:
An old Skill side-winder. Good enough for cutting up pallets. Never
quits, always mediocre.
A Milwaukee side-winders. Gets used a lot, we all like it. We even use
it with diamond blades. Great saw.
A Porter Cable side-winder with magnesium base and blade "on the wrong
side". Piece of crap.
A relatively new Skill HS77 wormer. Gobs of power, easy adjustability,
not too noisy, gobs of power, great shoe, gobs of power, justabout all
we use for ripping up solid surface sheets with TCG 40-tooth blades,
gobs of power. A bit heavy... did I mention gobs of power? I really
like this beast.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You sure got a lot of good advice and I don't disagree with any of
it. Since you're in an apartment, perhaps a bandsaw might take up
a bit too much storage room, but there are table top models that
can be clamped down and might be a compromise.

The amp rating of any tool takes on more importance than some
might think. Most apartment outlets are 15a, and running a big
saw at close to their rating "might" cause a breaker to trip or
overheating. It's a curse we here in the USA have in not being a
230v nation. Grin Get a good extension cord, since I suspect
you'll be working from a balcony or patio if you're in an
apartment.

I'd be a tad worried about a jigsaw, since it's difficult to keep
the saw's blade perpendicular to the wood and a straight cut is a
lot more complicated than with a circular saw. There's a place of
both in your future?

The noise will be a factor with about any of the saws, and the
blade design will exacerbate or help. If you're worried and
working on a balcony, for instance, consider tossing some packing
blankets or even towels over the railing to help muffle or
redirect sound. Doing your work during the mid day might help,
also.

All said and done, I'd consider a DeWalt as a good, generic saw.
Make yourself a 0 clearance plate for the base, use a shooting
board and it'll all work out just fine. The single most important
thing is a GOOD blade for ripping and another GOOD blade for
crosscuts. Freud is my favorite, but YMMV.

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 12:05*pm, Robatoy wrote:

A relatively new Skill HS77 wormer. Gobs of power, easy adjustability,
not too noisy, gobs of power, great shoe, gobs of power, justabout all
we use for ripping up solid surface sheets with TCG 40-tooth blades,
gobs of power. A bit heavy... did I mention gobs of power? I really
like this beast.

A classic saw for heavy use. Really heavy use. I don't know if you
have seen this, but it just won some kind of accolades (as it always
does) for its utility value.

Personally, I was surprised it wasn't more money.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 3:08*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I would like to effectively cut through 2" hardwoods
with a finer blade

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32941&cat=1,42884,42896

Who says things aren't different in Canada?

That has to be the most unique and odd looking circular saw I have
ever seen.

No kidding.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I would like to effectively cut through 2" hardwoods
with a finer blade

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32941&cat=1,42884,42896

Who says things aren't different in Canada?

That has to be the most unique and odd looking circular saw I
have
ever seen.

No kidding.

Robert

It's one of the handiest saws in the toolbox, so to speak. It
cuts on the pull and that equates to straighter cuts. It's thin,
so the kerf is reduced as well. You can flex the blade a tad and
it'll whack off a dowel almost flush, OR you can get a cheap
knock-off one and put one side against the table sander. That
knocks off all set from one side of the blade and you can cut
flush without much effort.

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You sound like a most considerate neighbor. But finding a saw so quiet
it will not wake a sleeping child is akin to a search for the golden
fleece and when you find one "fleece'd" is likely to be the
conclusion.

If you think the decibels generated by a brand new 15AMP motor cutting
thin air will wake the neighbors - wait 'till you put that meter up
against one cutting across some plys made of wood. Or, maybe you'll
make a garden shed and turn your blade 'round to slice through some
galvanized 5V Crimp - you are not allowed to do that near a cemetery!

My favorite is an Old Sears Worm Drive Saw - though I wish, at times,
it had the larger 1/8th inch thick aluminum sole plate as on an old
"Skill" saw my father-in-law left - not sure, but it may have been a
JC Penny!

That SEARS WORM DRIVE looks like the Milwaukee, etc etc as it is
simply re-branded.

As to the noise, well my wife makes me shut down at midnight because
of "the neighbors" but I think she is as worried about her lack of
sleep. And, up in the hills, my neighbors half a mile away report
hearing me working and can often identify the power tool I was using -
"What'r routing last night?"

Face it Woodworking is a noisy business, but somebody's got to do it.
And that somebody should seriously consider ear protection when
younger so as to assure a neighbors sawing will still disturb them
when they reach sixty or so.

Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
Circular Saw George UK diy 10 June 9th 08 11:33 PM
jig or circular saw? Fray McBentos UK diy 12 April 28th 08 05:03 PM
Circular Saw q [email protected] UK diy 55 October 1st 07 09:59 PM
Circular Saw Help LRod Woodworking 9 April 4th 05 03:56 AM