Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default jig or circular saw?

Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Fray McBentos wrote:
Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Definitely don't even consider a dirt cheap jigsaw.

It won't cut square.
It won't cut straight.
It might not even hold blades properly.
It will probably chip away at the edges (e.g. whatever laminating
material that has been applied to the MDF/chip).

Best bet is probably what you don't want to use - a hand saw. If
necessary, buy a new, sharp saw. Maybe two different ones if that would
help with the job.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fray McBentos" wrote in message

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Probaly because it needs repairing. ;-)

Do give more information,whats your dirt cheap price?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news

"Fray McBentos" wrote in message

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Probaly because it needs repairing. ;-)

Do give more information,whats your dirt cheap price?

Disposable !

15 - 20 quid I guess. Argos has a :

circular for £20 cat : 7105025

and a jig for £10 cat : 7110948

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fray McBentos" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news

"Fray McBentos" wrote in message

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Probaly because it needs repairing. ;-)

Do give more information,whats your dirt cheap price?

Disposable !

15 - 20 quid I guess. Argos has a :

circular for £20 cat : 7105025

and a jig for £10 cat : 7110948

:-)

What you have to consider is...

A circular will not be able to cut around tight short shapes as opposed to a
jig-saw and a cheap jig saw will not give you a straight cuts so the onus on
you in what you choose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fray McBentos wrote:
"George" wrote in message
news

"Fray McBentos" wrote in message

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Probaly because it needs repairing. ;-)

Do give more information,whats your dirt cheap price?

Disposable !

15 - 20 quid I guess. Argos has a :

circular for £20 cat : 7105025

and a jig for £10 cat : 7110948

The jig saw would be very useful as a door stop. Thats about the only use
it would be any good for. No point even putting a plug on something like
that.

The circular saw is indeed disposable but will cut a straight line (see also
http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm)

Most el cheapo circular saws have a very coarse blade for ripping timber, so
you would prolly need to change that for 24/36 tooth blade - about a £10 for
a cheap one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fray McBentos wrote:
Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

Neither: tell us exactly what types of cuts ( straight or curved) you
need, and someone will tell you what to HIRE which will do a far better
job at the same money as buying a piece of consumer crap.

As well as supporting some nice bloke who probably knows what he's on
about in the tool hire place,rather than a bunch of marketing ******s
and pimply teenagers in B & Q.

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Exactly. Then hire good kit, dont buy rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fray McBentos wrote:
Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

If it's all going to be straight cuts get a circular saw - but make sure
it has a tipped blade. Most will have. Clamp a batten to the work to act
as a guide (where you can) and you'll get a pretty decent cut. You won't
with any jigsaw.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:54:43 +0100, "Fray McBentos"
wrote:

Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

You really should use a sharp hand saw on that type of furniture,
unless you want to spend a lot on a decent saw.

Cheap crap will leave really bad crap edges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 27, 5:54 pm, "Fray McBentos" wrote:
Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

I bought a wrox circular saw with laser to cut down some kitchen units
to fit around a fire place. With care it was excellent.
Use clamps and a straight edge to cut perfectly straight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

You really should use a sharp hand saw on that type of furniture,
unless you want to spend a lot on a decent saw.

Cheap crap will leave really bad crap edges.

I'd say a cheap (25 quid?) circular saw is likely to give better results
in the hands of the unskilled than any handsaw regardless of price.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

You really should use a sharp hand saw on that type of furniture,
unless you want to spend a lot on a decent saw.

Cheap crap will leave really bad crap edges.

Not with a sharp blade it won't

circular saw Fred UK diy 12 February 11th 08 10:38 PM
New circular saw help.... [email protected] Woodworking 13 July 12th 07 01:59 PM
Help me buy a circular saw 46erjoe Home Repair 41 January 18th 07 04:05 AM
JCB circular saw [email protected] UK diy 2 April 16th 05 11:41 PM
Circular Saw Help LRod Woodworking 9 April 4th 05 03:56 AM