Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Semi OT. Laminate paint

We have a rental condo built in '85. The original onsite built cabinets always bugged me (laminate covered/laminate doors showing their age) but adding new cabinets didn't fit the budget plus I was concerned about rough treatment some guests provide. I settled on painting the cabinet faces and sides and built some panel doors. I used Cabinet Rescue, a tintable acrylic specially formulated for melamine. I was skeptical about anything less than spraying but the mfr recommends rolling on with a high density foam roller. I did spray the doors at home( yes, was still skeptical about rolling), rolled cabinets onsite. Tests beforehand showed it scratches off easily on day one or two but gets harder over a 30 day period. I'm pleased with the results and wanted to pass on for others considering the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm pleased with the results and wanted to pass on for others considering the same.

Interesting. I have a similar situation with flat laminate cab doors throughout a rental condo. They have a strip of red oak along the bottom with a profile that provides grip from underneath with a cove so you can open them.

Last time I renovated, I lightly sanded\wooled all the bare wood surfaces and did a few coats of wipe on poly.

Recently had a turn over after a year and the inspection showed the looked as good as when I did them. However, the particle board\laminate counter tops are continuing to disintegrate near the kitchen sink and especially above the dishwasher where they get steamed quite often.