Kevin

Default Semi OT paint brushes - types and uses

I've been doing some reapir work and such around the house. Some of the
work involves painting and staining. Now there are brushes made of different
materials- natural bristle, horse, nylon, etc ... What I would like to know
is what material (brush material) is suitable for what type of application.
For example, if I am painting with acrylic latex would nylon or natural
brislte be preferred? I know I can go and look at some brushes and see that
they are labled - for latex, for oil-based paints and such but can anyone
offer some of the reasoning behind why some are preferred over others?
cleanup? ease of use?
Thanks,

Bob Bowles

As natural bristle swells with moisture it is used for oil based stuff
and synthetic used for waterbased. I grew up with natural and thought
it was used for everything. Whichever product is used preload the
brush with proper solvent to avoid finish hardening near the ferrule
and it also eases cleaning.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:47:25 -0500, "Kevin"
wrote:

I've been doing some reapir work and such around the house. Some of the
work involves painting and staining. Now there are brushes made of different
materials- natural bristle, horse, nylon, etc ...

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
I've been doing some reapir work and such around the house. Some of the
work involves painting and staining. Now there are brushes made of different
materials- natural bristle, horse, nylon, etc ... What I would like to know
is what material (brush material) is suitable for what type of application.
For example, if I am painting with acrylic latex would nylon or natural
brislte be preferred? I know I can go and look at some brushes and see that
they are labled - for latex, for oil-based paints and such but can anyone
offer some of the reasoning behind why some are preferred over others?
cleanup? ease of use?
Thanks,

Obviously, the differnt types of paint have different characteristics.

The different types of brush material are used because different brush
materials "work better" with different types of paint. An oil-based
paint, for example, may just 'run right off' a brush material that works
well for latex paint. Or vice versa.

Also, the solvent/carrier for some kinds of paint may damage the material
used for some types of brushes.

Leon

"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns.

Obviously, the differnt types of paint have different characteristics.

Correct

The different types of brush material are used because different brush
materials "work better" with different types of paint. An oil-based
paint, for example, may just 'run right off' a brush material that works
well for latex paint. Or vice versa.

Wrong. A natural hair brush will become limp with water based paints, just
like your hair does when you wash it. Natural hair brushes for oil based
products only.
Nylon, polyester, or synthetic brushes for any paint.

Also, the solvent/carrier for some kinds of paint may damage the material

used for some types of brushes.

Basically Wrong again providing you use the correct brush to start with.
Natural hair brushes should be cleaned with thinner, mineral spirits or a
oil based cleaner. Nylon, polyester or synthetic brushes can be cleaned
with soap and water for water based products and thinner, mineral spirits,
and or oil based cleaners for oil based products.

Leon

"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns. wrote in message
You, sir, apparently speak from limited experience.

Yeah, I do this for a living..

A natural hair brush will become limp with water based paints,

just
like your hair does when you wash it. Natural hair brushes for oil based
products only.

Nylon, polyester, or synthetic brushes for any paint.

That may be mostly true, _today_. *NOT* true, with many of the 'early'
attempts at using such materials. I've had brushes that wouldn't hold
oil paint worth a d*mn. At this remove in time, I don't remember if they
were nylon or poly.

Early attempts are not what the original poster is asking about. He wants
to know about current standards so that he can buy a modern day brush. As
for holding oil based paint, it helps greatly if you prime the brush with a
solvent such as thinner and wipe off the excess so that the brush will
accept a greater quantity of paint with each dip. This also helps the paint
to flow off the brush and makes cleaning the brush easier after a day of
painting.

Leon

"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns. wrote in message

That means you probably do _NOT_ have much experience with various kinds
of 'exotic' paints. Such as are used on fabric-covered aircraft. Or some
'concrete' paints -- I don't mean for painting concrete but _with_

concrete
(including quicklim) in the paint itself.

I guess you don't get it Robert. The original poster wants information on
the paints and stains for a house, period. And, you have not specifically
answered one question other than mentioning that some type brushes work
better than others with different paints. I believe that the original
poster is aware of that fundimental fact as he asked which brush to use with
which type paints or stains, which you have not yet answered.

You're obviously a first-class mind reader. Since the posting asked
"why do they exist".

HUH? Mind reader, I think not. ;~) He specifically asked, "What I would
like to know is what material (brush material) is suitable for what type of
application."
I was quite clear as to why to use one brush over another with specific
products concerning water and oil based products that are used around the
house.

By the way, do you want to try explaining _why_ natural hair brushes

still
exist today, since the other types are, according to you, suitable for

_any_
paint, and are far less expensive?

Just like anything else, there are products that some people prefer over
others. Natural hair brushes work well with oil based paints and absolutely
do not work with water based products. Who said anything about price
comparison?