Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT, Debit card

Last week I lost my debit card, most likely it is still in my possesion
somewhere, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be.

I noticed it gone about 12 hrs after the last use, and so began the drill
of reporting it lost/stolen.

Call the 800 number and then it dawns on me that I have no idea what the
card number is, unlike a credit card, the number doesn't show up on any
statements nor is it on any of the application documentation or the letter
that it came in.

This made stopping the card difficult but after an hour or so me and the
nice young man from India named Bob managed to verify my identity
and halt the card.

No harm was done, no unathorized charges were incurred.

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

A better solution is to place all your
cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper
copy that you find(maybe) the next time this
happens.

On 8/5/2013 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot

of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

Better yet, send all cards and pin numbers to me for safe keeping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2013 12:11 PM, basilisk wrote:
Last week I lost my debit card, most likely it is still in my possesion
somewhere, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be.

I noticed it gone about 12 hrs after the last use, and so began the drill
of reporting it lost/stolen.

Call the 800 number and then it dawns on me that I have no idea what the
card number is, unlike a credit card, the number doesn't show up on any
statements nor is it on any of the application documentation or the letter
that it came in.

This made stopping the card difficult but after an hour or so me and the
nice young man from India named Bob managed to verify my identity
and halt the card.

No harm was done, no unathorized charges were incurred.

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

You shouldn't need the card numbers, the customer rep can obtain that
info after he/she ask you the personal questions related to your
account. Ex: Last four digits of your SSN, DOB, Phone number, Home
address, etc. If all they needed was the card number, than any Joe
Schmoe who steals it can make all the required changes and keep it while
spending your money. Also, if you have to deal with a foreign accent
other than a southern drawl, I suggest changing your financial institute.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:04:17 -0400, Meanie wrote:

You shouldn't need the card numbers, the customer rep can obtain that
info after he/she ask you the personal questions related to your
account. Ex: Last four digits of your SSN, DOB, Phone number, Home
address, etc. If all they needed was the card number, than any Joe
Schmoe who steals it can make all the required changes and keep it while
spending your money. Also, if you have to deal with a foreign accent
other than a southern drawl, I suggest changing your financial
institute.

Sure enough I didn't have to have the number, but it would have been much
less bother to have had it.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:36:55 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a
lot

of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

Better yet, send all cards and pin numbers to me for safe keeping.

I wouldn't want to burden you with my vast wealth

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/05/2013 03:16 PM, basilisk wrote:
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:36:55 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a
lot

of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

Better yet, send all cards and pin numbers to me for safe keeping.

I wouldn't want to burden you with my vast wealth

AS the old saying goes - "I have a lot of money, but it's all tied up in
debt."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

Sure enough I didn't have to have the number, but it would have been
much
less bother to have had it.

Better yet scrap the bloody DEBIT card and replace it with a CREDIT
card (VISA, MC).

Make the bank take responsibility for resolving problems and EARN the
fees they charge.

With a DEBIT card, you have to resolve your own problems.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

Sure enough I didn't have to have the number, but it would have been
much
less bother to have had it.

Better yet scrap the bloody DEBIT card and replace it with a CREDIT
card (VISA, MC).

Make the bank take responsibility for resolving problems and EARN the
fees they charge.

With a DEBIT card, you have to resolve your own problems.

Lew

An even better suggestion that that, scrap the bank and find a good
credit union to keep your money safe.

The bank works for the bank's share holders.

In a credit union, YOU are a share holder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:11:08 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

Last week I lost my debit card, most likely it is still in my possesion
somewhere, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be.

I noticed it gone about 12 hrs after the last use, and so began the drill
of reporting it lost/stolen.

Call the 800 number and then it dawns on me that I have no idea what the
card number is, unlike a credit card, the number doesn't show up on any
statements nor is it on any of the application documentation or the letter
that it came in.

This made stopping the card difficult but after an hour or so me and the
nice young man from India named Bob managed to verify my identity
and halt the card.

No harm was done, no unathorized charges were incurred.

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

A scan of all your personal id card ect is a good way to file them
away on paper.

Mrk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

Sure enough I didn't have to have the number, but it would have been
much
less bother to have had it.

Better yet scrap the bloody DEBIT card and replace it with a CREDIT
card (VISA, MC).

I use the debit card for every day small purchases.
Credit card gets used for higher cost durable goods.
Just my preference to do this.

Make the bank take responsibility for resolving problems and EARN the
fees they charge.

So far this year the checking account with the debit card has had no fees
charged to it, in fact it pays a small amount of interest.
If your bank is charging you fees you should ****can them.

In 2013, CC has charged a total of $2.34 interest and fees.

With a DEBIT card, you have to resolve your own problems.

Debit or CC you still have to report it if you lose the card.
I suppose you could ignore it and see what happens.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

[...]

I think it is immaterial what you use to pay your bills. Whatever you
use, you must do it responsibility using sound economic practices. You
follow your budget. Unlike the government, you don't spend what you do
not have regardless of how much you feel you need the item.

Just as you would not leave a $100 bill on the counter in the store
where you are shopping you do not leave a credit or debit card.

I have used credit cards since the 1970 and have had no major problems.
They are paid off timely, balances are paid of when billed, or as
quickly as possible.

Personally I use a credit card, as it isolates the the company where the
purchases are made from my accounts. Living in the current climate of
crime it frees me from carrying large amounts of cash. It also gives me
cushion for unplanned expenses, as most responsible companies take
credit cards today.

I review all purchase made using the credit card on a weekly basis, and
if there appears to be a problem immediately contact the card company.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

[...]

I currently use a Discover card for everything that I can use it for. I
have had it for 26 months and Discover has PAID ME $1300.00 to use it.
Prior to that Citibank paid me an average of $50 a month to use their
card for about 4 years. Before that a GM card that knocked off an
additional $6500.00 on vehicle purchases after I made my deal.
I pay these cards off monthly and have not paid interest or fees on a CC
since 1983 and that was a one month mistake.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:25:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

I currently use a Discover card for everything that I can use it for. I
have had it for 26 months and Discover has PAID ME $1300.00 to use it.
Prior to that Citibank paid me an average of $50 a month to use their
card for about 4 years. Before that a GM card that knocked off an
additional $6500.00 on vehicle purchases after I made my deal. I pay
these cards off monthly and have not paid interest or fees on a CC since
1983 and that was a one month mistake.

Other than the vehicle purchase, my story is similar. But with all the
snooping the NSA's been doing, I may go to cash on general principles :-).

carrying a cross.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2013 11:08 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:25:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

I currently use a Discover card for everything that I can use it for. I
have had it for 26 months and Discover has PAID ME $1300.00 to use it.
Prior to that Citibank paid me an average of $50 a month to use their
card for about 4 years. Before that a GM card that knocked off an
additional $6500.00 on vehicle purchases after I made my deal. I pay
these cards off monthly and have not paid interest or fees on a CC since
1983 and that was a one month mistake.

Other than the vehicle purchase, my story is similar. But with all the
snooping the NSA's been doing, I may go to cash on general principles :-).

Security cameras are everywhere, they can watch you spend your cash too.
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:56:54 -0500, Leon wrote:

On 8/6/2013 11:08 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:25:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

I currently use a Discover card for everything that I can use it for. I
have had it for 26 months and Discover has PAID ME $1300.00 to use it.
Prior to that Citibank paid me an average of $50 a month to use their
card for about 4 years. Before that a GM card that knocked off an
additional $6500.00 on vehicle purchases after I made my deal. I pay
these cards off monthly and have not paid interest or fees on a CC since
1983 and that was a one month mistake.

Other than the vehicle purchase, my story is similar. But with all the
snooping the NSA's been doing, I may go to cash on general principles :-).

Security cameras are everywhere, they can watch you spend your cash too.
LOL

Good point, but I sometimes wonder if we aren't selling our souls for a
few
reward points and dribblings of interest.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2013 12:43 PM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Do you consider in excess of $10K to be a few reward points and or
dribblings?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:15:25 -0500, Leon wrote:

[...]

No, but it is all relative, for me reward points contributes a thousand
dollars a year or so to my bottom line(thankyou Visa).

I still perfer to deal in cash when possible, I live frugally except for
a few areas, and those things I do spend a lot on are usually cash.
This is a problem sometimes, buying cars and such with cash draws unwanted
attention as it is considered not playing by the rules.
I even once had a Ford dealer refuse a cash deal, strange world we live
in.

The argument can be made for running every penny through
a credit card and taking every reward possible. I'm not comfortable
doing it. YMMV

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2013 7:37 AM, basilisk wrote:

I use the debit card for every day small purchases.
Credit card gets used for higher cost durable goods.
Just my preference to do this.

I used to, but no more. Too many stories of stolen numbers so I limit
exposure. Anything under $100 now is cash, all internet purchases are
credit cart, not debit. My debit card offers protection, but it may
take a few days to resolve, meantime the checking balance is potentially
gone until resolved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/13 2:20 PM, basilisk wrote:
This is a problem sometimes, buying cars and such with cash draws unwanted
attention as it is considered not playing by the rules.

Yes it does and the assholes can just take your money for "suspicion"

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18...or-profit-case

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 15:27:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/6/2013 7:37 AM, basilisk wrote:

I use the debit card for every day small purchases.
Credit card gets used for higher cost durable goods.
Just my preference to do this.

I used to, but no more. Too many stories of stolen numbers so I limit
exposure. Anything under $100 now is cash, all internet purchases are
credit cart, not debit. My debit card offers protection, but it may
take a few days to resolve, meantime the checking balance is potentially
gone until resolved.

I keep two checking accounts, I keep the balance down on the one
associated with the debit card. Limits the amount of damage anyone could
do, plus it doesn't have an allowance for overdraft.

I use the CC for online and a couple of times a year report it lost to
generate a new number. I also keep the credit limit low on it, even though
I wouldn't
be responsible for unauthorized charges.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote:

A better solution is to place all your
cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper
copy that you find(maybe) the next time this
happens.

Mikey likes it; however, given my limitation these days of sometimes
not being able to recover hard copy, think I'll scan that page in
memory as a pdf file in an appropriate folder.

If all else fails, can do a "search" of all the drives to retrieve the
file.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2013 10:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Pat Barber" wrote:

A better solution is to place all your
cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper
copy that you find(maybe) the next time this
happens.

Mikey likes it; however, given my limitation these days of sometimes
not being able to recover hard copy, think I'll scan that page in
memory as a pdf file in an appropriate folder.

If all else fails, can do a "search" of all the drives to retrieve the
file.

Lew

If you scan a hard copy document, and create a PDF file, it will not be
searchable. It is the same as making a PDF of a picture of your wife,
there is no text to search. As I understand in working with
genealogical document, you can create a searchable database for the
image PDF document by doing and OCR of the document.

If you print a PDF document from a word processor, the text is
maintained as text in the PDF document, and is searchable.

You could search your hard drive for the file name but I forget file
name so for me that would not work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2013 2:20 PM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Now I am really confused. You earn $1000 per year from charges but a
majority of your spending is done so with cash, you are still charging a
load each year considering that you prefer to pay cash.
I assume you define cash as strictly government issued currency, not a
check. Car dealerships and for that matter any business that receives
cash payments, government currency, in excess of $10,000 are required to
report that transaction to the government. This is a burden for the
business to provide extra documentation. Regardless your purchase of an
automobile is documented with the state government no matter how you pay
for it.

The argument can be made for running every penny through
a credit card and taking every reward possible. I'm not comfortable
doing it. YMMV

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/05/2013 02:21 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
A better solution is to place all your
cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper
copy that you find(maybe) the next time this
happens.

On 8/5/2013 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

That's a good solution. A better solution is to use cash.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

If you scan a hard copy document, and create a PDF file, it will not
be searchable. It is the same as making a PDF of a picture of your
wife, there is no text to search. As I understand in working with
genealogical document, you can create a searchable database for the
image PDF document by doing and OCR of the document.

If you print a PDF document from a word processor, the text is
maintained as text in the PDF document, and is searchable.

You could search your hard drive for the file name but I forget file
name so for me that would not work.

That's me.

I use a folder named JUNK to keep various files.

I don't even try to remember a lot of file names.

Tracking down a specific file from among 20-30 files in the JUNK
folder is NBD, at least not yetG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote:

[...]

PDF files _can_ have an underlaying text layer that IS searchable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now I am really confused. You earn $1000 per year from charges but a
majority of your spending is done so with cash, you are still charging a
load each year considering that you prefer to pay cash.
I assume you define cash as strictly government issued currency, not a
check. Car dealerships and for that matter any business that receives
cash payments, government currency, in excess of $10,000 are required to
report that transaction to the government. This is a burden for the
business to provide extra documentation. Regardless your purchase of an
automobile is documented with the state government no matter how you pay
for it.

Your post got me thinking about how and why I spend with what,
I'll admit that some of the division is just force of habit.
It has a lot to do with who I'm paying.

Even though I prefer to use cash some years it isn't
predominate method, just depends on what I am up to
and how much is on hand.

household, small items, groceries-currency or debit

online or large items from large businesses- credit card

independent contractors or small businesses- currency always

Should I decide I want a car,
truck, or a sawstop I save the money for that
purpose and when I have enough I make the purchase,
depends on where the purchase is made how it's paid for.

I write very few checks 2-3 a month.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 12:21:28 -0700, Pat Barber
wrote:

A better solution is to place all your
cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper
copy that you find(maybe) the next time this
happens.

On 8/5/2013 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot
of trouble should it go AWOL.

basilisk

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all
your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote:

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all
your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.

Scan your cards and save as a pdf file named "MyPlasticCards" and save
in a folder named "Junk" located on the root directory.

Worked for me.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5202c6fb$0$58739
:

"Mike M" wrote:

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all
your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.

Scan your cards and save as a pdf file named "MyPlasticCards" and save
in a folder named "Junk" located on the root directory.

Worked for me.

YMMV

Lew

Just be sure to remove the file (better to format the disk) before you
get rid of the computer. (Even better would be to remove the disk and
keep it, but formatting will stop the curious and tempted from accessing
the file.)

A folder named "Junk" would be one of the places I'd look with interest
when checking out a new used computer.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Just be sure to remove the file (better to format the disk) before
you
get rid of the computer. (Even better would be to remove the disk
and
keep it, but formatting will stop the curious and tempted from
accessing
the file.)

A folder named "Junk" would be one of the places I'd look with
interest
when checking out a new used computer.

Run Fdisk before you dump the puter.

Problem solved.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote:

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all
your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.

Scan your cards and save as a pdf file named "MyPlasticCards" and save
in a folder named "Junk" located on the root directory.

Worked for me.

YMMV

Lew

Just be sure to remove the file (better to format the disk) before you
get rid of the computer. (Even better would be to remove the disk and
keep it, but formatting will stop the curious and tempted from accessing
the file.)

A folder named "Junk" would be one of the places I'd look with interest
when checking out a new used computer.

Puckdropper

I believe for a determined hacker just formating the disk will not
remove the files, only delete the information as to thier location.

If you want to remove the files you must use one of the scurbber
programs, like the one in Mcafee Total Protecton called Shredde.

These programs consecutively write nonsense to he file location so the
information can not be reconstructed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok, I'll share my way with you guys...

c:\! (Exclamation marks are often pronounced "bang")

Under that a

c:\!\Accounts\(with a folder for each account)

c:\!\Maps

c:\!\Medical

c:\!\Home

c:\!\cars\(etc)

The ! sorts to the top of an ASCII list, so it's possible to have
several different segments of sorted folder (and file) names inside a
single folder.

C:\! !\whatever will float to the top

c:\!!\something comes next

c:\!\ after that