Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New bench -- vise question

It's time for my new bench. I purchased a 10-inch Groz quick release for the face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

If I had a spare $250, I'd go with the Lee Valley twin-screw tail vise. Sweet it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Single screw from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3258...ds=bench+screw

Front vise assembly on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121124468388... 4.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2013 7:19 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
It's time for my new bench. I purchased a 10-inch Groz quick release for the face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

If I had a spare $250, I'd go with the Lee Valley twin-screw tail vise. Sweet it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Single screw from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3258...ds=bench+screw

Front vise assembly on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121124468388... 4.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

You only live once.... From the Festool SawStop guy.. LOL

http://benchcrafted.com/TailVise.html

Go for the Cadillac brand and never look back or wish yo had done better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:19:00 -0700 (PDT), "Gramp's shop"
wrote:

It's time for my new bench. I purchased a 10-inch Groz quick release for the face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

If I had a spare $250, I'd go with the Lee Valley twin-screw tail vise. Sweet it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Single screw from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3258...ds=bench+screw

Front vise assembly on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121124468388... 4.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

http://carlswoodworking.wordpress.co...-vise-options/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2013 8:19 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
It's time for my new bench. I purchased a 10-inch Groz quick release for the face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

If I had a spare $250, I'd go with the Lee Valley twin-screw tail vise. Sweet it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Single screw from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3258...ds=bench+screw

Front vise assembly on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121124468388... 4.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

Here's my opinion since you are asking for opinions.

The quick release vise is a better tail vise then a front vise!

I have 2 vises on my bench, both are not quick release one is a tail,
the other a face. I am a lefty too.

I am thinking of replacing my tail vise (regular vise) with a quick
release (from my other bench) since most of what I do is done using the
tail vise. I find the tail the most useful vise. Now you do not need to
use the dog that came with the vise. Take a look at

http://imgur.com/a/YbWt2#9

I don't use the vises built in dog, I mounted a veritas bench pup
slightly off center to match my dog hole alignment. I also drilled the
end to hold a door or something, but never drilled the holes into the
face of the bench.

I'll see if I can take a better bench pic.

Just my opinion... you'll come to your own conclusions.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:19:00 -0700, Gramp's shop wrote:

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

I was on a limited budget when I built my vise, so I used threading tools
to make a 1" dowel into a screw amd a threaded hole in the bench leg and
mounted a pair of shortened french leg vises on each side of the bench
end. Instead of the notched stick at the bottom I threaded a 1/2" dowel
and put a spinner on it at the bottom of each vise. I've been using
those for about 20 years now.

The vises are flush with the benchtop and have a hole in them for a dog.

carrying a cross.

Bench Vise. tiredofspam Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 6th 12 08:31 PM
1/2 HP bench vise Ignoramus7608 Metalworking 5 July 25th 10 12:41 AM
Help me id this bench vise Jim Geib Metalworking 4 July 28th 05 04:47 AM
Bench vise? Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 3 April 13th 04 08:45 AM
Bench vise Rick Samuel Woodworking 10 February 29th 04 03:04 AM