Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update: Craftsman quick-grip clamps

So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps.. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip
clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the
Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and
you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period.
DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful
about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?
JP

Can't say that I do. I have had a pair of "Quick Grip" brand clamps that I
used quite a bit when I was building my clamp collection. They and my pair
of Jet K style bar clamps are my last to go to clamps now. Neither of these
clamps will easily exert as much pressure that my other clamps do with what
seems half the effort. For short clamping distances, like holding work
down to the work surface I much prefer to use my Hanson brand auto adjust
clamping players.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2013 9:25 AM, JayPique wrote:
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?
JP

I have a bunch of the Quick Grips, some before they said "Irwin" on the
side, I believe. I'm only a weekend home handyman, but I've found them
incredibly useful. Every job requires a third, fourth and fifth hand,
and that usually means clamps. The "one-handed" operation is a godsend
when I'm on a ladder, or in a tight spot, or when I'm holding the object
that needs clamping with the other hand.

I have six of the 6" size and six more of longer lengths. Do they
squeeze as tightly as other types? No. Maybe that's a drawback for
woodworking, at least in some applications. But I wouldn't give them up.

I have used them a lot, the oldest pair for ten years or so. And I
haven't exactly babied them. They get tossed in a bucket and dropped on
the floor pretty often. The only problem I've had so far was with one of
the longer ones. For some reason, a 1" section of the bar has gotten a
little corroded. As that's the only one with the problem, I tend to
suspect that I got some substance on it in that spot, maybe ice-melt
crystals. My garage is multi-purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:25:29 AM UTC-5, JayPique wrote:
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?

JP

I have about a half dozen of the HF 12 inchers in my collection. They work well and often are on sale for $2 per unit. Can't go wrong at that price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2013 10:43 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:25:29 AM UTC-5, JayPique wrote:
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?

JP

I have about a half dozen of the HF 12 inchers in my collection. They work well and often are on sale for $2 per unit. Can't go wrong at that price.

They may well be different now, but I got a couple of the ones with the
orange handles a number of years back. I figured the same thing: "can't
go wrong".

I snapped the orange "moving" part of the handle off withing a minute
after opening the package; the very first time I tried to tighten it on
something. Chastened, I decided it was too much trouble to send it back;
I'd just use the other one for really light-duty stuff. The very first
time I used it, and even though I thought I was being more gentle, I
snapped that one off too, nearly cutting myself on the jagged plastic
edge in the process.

In case anyone is wondering, I consider myself well within the "average"
range as regards grip strength.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"JayPique" wrote in message
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip
clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman
lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a
receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even
still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working
within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?
JP

I have a bunch of 12 inch and 18 inch quick-grip clamps with black handles.
Bought them when they first came out about 20+ years ago, the label on the
handle says made by the makers of "vice-grip". I have tightened them many
times as tight as I possibly can using two hands with no failures. I can
only assume, as with many products, they learned how to make them cheaper in
China, resulting in a product that is now functionally useless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

They may well be different now, but I got a couple of the ones with
the orange handles a number of years back. I figured the same thing:
"can't go wrong".

Definitely a different product now. Maybe not up to the needs of Leon or
Karl, but certainly very capable for the most of us.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:25:29 AM UTC-5, JayPique wrote:
So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like?

JP

I've had a lot of luck with the Crapsman quick clamps. I have the two smallest ones and two the larger ones, I would guess three feet or so. The rubber ends are nice and grippy, and they give reasonable clamp pressure, like an extra set of hands.

But they have severe pressure limitations. I would not, for example, use them for gluing up.

I'm sad to hear the warranty is only a year. I didn't know that. I would guess I've had these for four or more years.