Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buffet is complete!

My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 9:26 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Nice work Larry,

A question, is that figure or scalloping on the left door, and drawer
under it?

I am not nit picking, just can't tell if I am looking at figure or the
other.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 8:26 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Mighty fine!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

That looks like beautful work! It kinda makes me wish my dad was around
to work with me.

Bill

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 8:26 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Very nice! and I also really like the kitchen island thing going on there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Very good work!

--

GW Ross

 Without Time, everything would happen
 at once.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 9:26 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

I like this. It makes me wonder if I should consider a project that
employs wood with more "personality" myself.

I noted one unusual detail that can be seen a little better he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7353597...n/photostream/

There's an "end cap" on either end of the top that overlaps the top a
bit. Or perhaps it's a separate thin slat that overlaps? I'm curious
about this design element, exposing the end grain of the "end cap" and
overlapping the top. Are any of those pieces designed to move in some way?
Posted to rec.woodworking

SNIP

There's an "end cap" on either end of the top that overlaps the top a

bit. Or perhaps it's a separate thin slat that overlaps? I'm curious

about this design element, exposing the end grain of the "end cap" and

overlapping the top. Are any of those pieces designed to move in some way?

Greg ...

The end cap has a mortise that receives the end of the top, thus allowing for seasonal movement. The top floats, except for attachments to the front and rear face frames and for those I used L brackets with enough play on the underside of the top to allow for movement. I've used this technique on a couple of pieces.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Gramp's shop belched:
My son and I finished his new dining room buffet today, thanks in no
small measure to the good counsel I received from my friends in this
forum.

A few pix are found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

This piece is hard maple finished with General maple stain (one
coat), four coats of Maloof's oil/poly and one coat of oil/wax. I
really like the Maloof finish and plan on using it on other projects
to come.

Also ... have most of my shop moved into the two-car bay of the
garage. Still need to get the dust collector situated and build a
new top for my router table to accommodate the Rockler lift.

Larry

Looks good there Larry.
Good job

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 9:53 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Had a mixed batch of maple and some pieces were more figured than others.

Nice work Larry,

Again nice work.

A question, is that figure or scalloping on the left door, and drawer

under it?

I am not nit picking, just can't tell if I am looking at figure or the

other.

--

Jeff

--
Jeff

buffet and top - 1 attachment me Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 August 23rd 10 09:01 PM
Buffet Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 5 October 30th 07 03:40 PM
refinishing the top of an oak buffet kariecarico Woodworking 1 November 6th 06 06:57 PM
pine buffet gmpatti Woodworking 16 September 13th 04 05:54 PM
Plans for a Buffet (part of Hutch and Buffet) Kris Woodworking 0 December 29th 03 12:34 AM