Posted to rec.woodworking

Default refinishing the top of an oak buffet

I am refinishing the top of an oak buffet and have used wood filler to
cover many inperfections- problem is now that the stain will not cover
the wood filler and looks odd- creating darker areas etc where I put
the wood filler. How can I fix the top without having to put a whole
new piece of oak on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might consider an oak veneer. It would be easier than redoing the
top and can be stained to match. Flexwood sells a pre-backed veneer
that you can peel-n-place and then sand and stain to match. It works
good and does not require extra tools and glue.