Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default Buffet is complete!

SNIP

There's an "end cap" on either end of the top that overlaps the top a

bit. Or perhaps it's a separate thin slat that overlaps? I'm curious

about this design element, exposing the end grain of the "end cap" and

overlapping the top. Are any of those pieces designed to move in some way?

Greg ...

The end cap has a mortise that receives the end of the top, thus allowing for seasonal movement. The top floats, except for attachments to the front and rear face frames and for those I used L brackets with enough play on the underside of the top to allow for movement. I've used this technique on a couple of pieces.

Larry