Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Supplier question

I want to make some flat panels from one square feet to 8 combining wood and
glass, kinda Frank Lloyd Wright. He did a lot of interior stuff that were
one offers. Room dividers, kitchen/dining areas. I want to make some items
with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4" and smaller. A lot smaller so
as to hold pieces of glass into place, slide in a routed channel, and serve
as connectors, supports and such.

I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.) Fairly
dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably.

Going to use a lot of routed grooves and square dimensional lumber pieces as
construction method. Dowels at intersections with enough wood, routed
groove, or brad and glue, even plain glue on small stuff.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I understand correctly, for that small of pieces, visit a few cabinet makers and collect their scraps, from their trash bins, or purchase other leftovers?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:53:00 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make some flat panels from one square feet to 8 combining wood and glass, kinda Frank Lloyd Wright. He did a lot of interior stuff that were one offers. Room dividers, kitchen/dining areas. I want to make some items with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4" and smaller. A lot smaller so as to hold pieces of glass into place, slide in a routed channel, and serve as connectors, supports and such. I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.) Fairly dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably. Going to use a lot of routed grooves and square dimensional lumber pieces as construction method. Dowels at intersections with enough wood, routed groove, or brad and glue, even plain glue on small stuff. Thanks. Steve

Use Poplar. Low cost, stable, straight, easy to mill. It is a little soft and has kind of a green\yellow tint but even the lightest staining covers that. It takes all stains and dyes well although it will blotch some if not careful. You can find it everywhere, including Home Depot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I want to make some flat panels from one square feet to 8 combining
wood and glass, kinda Frank Lloyd Wright. He did a lot of interior
stuff that were one offers. Room dividers, kitchen/dining areas. I
want to make some items with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4"
and smaller. A lot smaller so as to hold pieces of glass into place,
slide in a routed channel, and serve as connectors, supports and such.

I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.)
Fairly dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm
and a leg. 6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably.

Going to use a lot of routed grooves and square dimensional lumber
pieces as construction method. Dowels at intersections with enough
wood, routed groove, or brad and glue, even plain glue on small stuff.

Poplar should work fine, ditto oak, the latter being considerably harder.
Both are available at HD/Lowes but the oak is likely to be red oak rather
than white. White is better IMO

The oak grain is much stronger (more obvious) than poplar.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 11, 2013 10:53:00 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
I want to make some items
with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4" and smaller. A lot smaller so
as to hold pieces of glass into place

I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.) Fairly
dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably.

As already mentioned, poplar would be good. Also maple. Hard or soft maple. Its sort of straight, although it has grain in it. Easy to cut, especially soft. No grain, which I think is what you want. With small pieces you do not want the grain overpowering the piece. You want straight bland grain with small pieces. Not terribly expensive, especially soft. Small quantities are sold. You can stain it but it will always be kind of light colored. Even dark stain does not turn it dark. Oak would be bad. Too much grain pattern for small pieces. The whole piece will be grainy wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Are you kidding? Poplar is guaranteed to warp and twist if you use it to
make a door or anything that is not securely captured on all sides.

Basswood. Stable.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:44:36 PM UTC-7, Morgans wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message ... On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:53:00 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote: I want to make some flat panels from one square feet to 8 combining wood and glass, kinda Frank Lloyd Wright. He did a lot of interior stuff that were one offers. Room dividers, kitchen/dining areas. I want to make some items with smaller dimensions of wood, say 1" x 4" and smaller. A lot smaller so as to hold pieces of glass into place, slide in a routed channel, and serve as connectors, supports and such. I'm looking for something that 1.) Stays straight 2.) Easy to cut 3.) Fairly dense 4.) Has some kind of a grain and 5.) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 6.) They will sell small quantities reasonably. Going to use a lot of routed grooves and square dimensional lumber pieces as construction method. Dowels at intersections with enough wood, routed groove, or brad and glue, even plain glue on small stuff. Thanks. Steve Use Poplar. Low cost, stable, straight, easy to mill. It is a little soft and has kind of a green\yellow tint but even the lightest staining covers that. It takes all stains and dyes well although it will blotch some if not careful. You can find it everywhere, including Home Depot. Are you kidding? Poplar is guaranteed to warp and twist if you use it to make a door or anything that is not securely captured on all sides. Basswood. Stable. -- Jim in NC

What?
Somebody be selling you same badly cared for wood. Properly logged amd milled Poplar is one of the most stable woods I have ever worled with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I agree, I find it very stable. so did most cabinet makers 70 years ago.
The runners and webing are usually poplar from that era.

--
Jeff